Me and my girls

doctorbb

Nov 2, 2007
CA via TX
Long time lurker and recent poster. Pics of me and my girls. The pretty one thinks I'm a crazy old geek (nerd metal detector guy stereotype). The fat yellow one is my hunting buddy. She thinks metal detecting is fun. You know they use dogs to detect all kinds of things, bombs, drugs, cancer cells, missing persons... I wonder if I could train her to smell gold jewelry and coins?

Attachments

• Doc & Mandi.jpg
    Doc & Mandi.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,196
  • us.jpg
    us.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,135
OP
OP
doctorbb

doctorbb

Nov 2, 2007
CA via TX
Central Coast (Pismo Beach). Coin & jewelry man. Been here 4 years, originally from Galveston, Texas area. The beaches here are "sterile" compared to Texas. The water's too darn cold for much sun bathing and swimming. Just lots of dog walkers and surfers. No pirate booty either. Sure miss the gulf coast.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice pics

I don't know about finding lost cats but my big dog can sure make them disappear. My little dog is my hunting buddy though he likes to dig with me.

I am from Corpus now living in Rio Grande Valley, and I miss the Gulf Coast too. I get out S. Padre as much as I can but its not the same as living by the water.

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
WELCOME TO TNET DOC. NICE PICS OF THE FAMILY. I LIVE IN LOMPOC, I'VE WANTED TO DO PISMO, BUT YOUR POST SEEMS TO INDICATE NOT MUCH IS FOUND THERE. IS THAT CORRECT? THAT CERTAINLY SMASHES MY DREAMS OF FINDING THE BIG HOARD OF BURRIED TREASURE OF PISMO BEACH.

GOOD LUCK, POST ANY FINDS

CHEERS
CAL

jmginmd

Nov 10, 2004
I will have to remember you guys in Cali. I am in Lompoc here and there at VAFB. I was there in April and I will be there next December. I will look you up.

OP
OP
doctorbb

doctorbb

Nov 2, 2007
CA via TX
The only time that I've done any good on Pismo is July 5th. There's a huge crowd on the beach each year for the 4th fireworks. Lots of cell phones and car keys too. Go figure. I do a lot better in parks, but nothing really old. None of the parks are old. I've seen lots of old photos of Pismo in the 20's and 30's with all the bathers and clam diggers, just hoards of people on the beach but I kind of think there's a lot deeper sand now than then. Will have to wait for a good winter storm to carve some washes out. There's got to be some goodies from all that activity back then.

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
I looked at Goggle earth one night and saw loads of people near the wall , might be a place to start, mostly near the warf

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics of you & the girls...you have a very lovely wife, does she detect too? Great to have you on board, looking forward to seeing and hearing about your finds.

;) RR

welcome_cat.gif

Attachments

• welcome_cat.gif
    welcome_cat.gif
    38.3 KB · Views: 691
OP
OP
doctorbb

doctorbb

Nov 2, 2007
CA via TX
Nipper Tum-Tums said:
Great pics of you & the girls...you have a very lovely wife, does she detect too? Great to have you on board, looking forward to seeing and hearing about your finds.

;) RR

No she thinks detecting is for dorky old men in Bermuda shorts and crew socks. She still can't believe I started when I was 12 years old.

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
Can dogs be trained to find silver/gold? That is a good question. I have a friend who trains bomb dogs and drug dogs. I'll see him over the holidays and I'll ask him. If so I'm going to start a new company that trains dogs to find treasure! haha

Imagine the places you could go that you normally cannot bring a detector! (Park Ranger) "Sir are you searching for treasure here in our park?"

"No sir.....I was just walking my dog and he dug up all these pieces of 8"

Glsfutrs

Mar 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster 6000/Di
Welcome to the T/N Doc .
You might want to head for those hills - theres some pretty good wine also to be had just south of you-especially in the Santa Maria Valley area- Gls.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doctorbb said:
Central Coast (Pismo Beach). Coin & jewelry man. Been here 4 years, originally from Galveston, Texas area. The beaches here are "sterile" compared to Texas. The water's too darn cold for much sun bathing and swimming. Just lots of dog walkers and surfers. No pirate booty either. Sure miss the gulf coast.

Hey Doc--
When I was stationed at Vandenberg AFB, I learned that the point of land that the base and Lompoc are located on is a dividing point. The northern Pacific currents from Alaska meet the southern Pacific currents from Central and South America. All beaches north of the point are cold water beaches and those south of the point are warm water beaches. In other words, it don't get better with time.

When I took my family to Pismo to watch the 4th of July fireworks display, I did like everyone else--parked back up close to the sea wall. If you check along that sea wall, you should have good luck. Through all those past years of auto racing on the beach, the crowds were backed-up to those same sea walls.

One more note (which your good looking girl might not like) there was a clothing-obtional beach down around Refugio Beach. ;D That's the first beach south of the point where US 101 comes back out to the coastline.

Happy Hunting. ::)

OP
OP
doctorbb

doctorbb

Nov 2, 2007
CA via TX
Shortstack said:
doctorbb said:

Hey Doc--
When I was stationed at Vandenberg AFB, I learned that the point of land that the base and Lompoc are located on is a dividing point. The northern Pacific currents from Alaska meet the southern Pacific currents from Central and South America. All beaches north of the point are cold water beaches and those south of the point are warm water beaches. In other words, it don't get better with time.

When I took my family to Pismo to watch the 4th of July fireworks display, I did like everyone else--parked back up close to the sea wall. If you check along that sea wall, you should have good luck. Through all those past years of auto racing on the beach, the crowds were backed-up to those same sea walls.
We have another up here at Avila that's the warmest beach around. I've found a little clad there but no jewelry. May have to drive down to the "Poc". Thanks for the Pismo info.
One more note (which your good looking girl might not like) there was a clothing-obtional beach down around Refugio Beach. ;D That's the first beach south of the point where US 101 comes back out to the coastline.

Happy Hunting. ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions