spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Monkees are the biggest group that never should have existed until a group of TV executives decided to make a comedy mimicking the Beatles. The only 2 that had any musical background were Peter Tork, and Michael Nesmith (Nesmith's mother was the inventor of White Out) Mickey Dolenz was a childhood actor from the Disney movies and Davey Jones was an actor. For the first 1 1/2 years they couldn't even perform concerts as Davey was learning the bass and keyborads, and Mickey was learning how to play the drums. The Monkees also had some of the best pop song writers including Neil Diamond, Boyce & Hart, Karol King and Neil Sedaka. Among the musicians that backed them up were Buddy Miles, Stephan Stills, Neil Young and Leon Russell.

I have personally always liked the Monkees for their pop tunes, and I am sure many of us have all sung along to many of their classic songs like "Daydream Believer", "I'm a Believer", "Last Train to Clarksville", "I'm Not Your Stepping Stone", and many others.

A final note: to think that Jimi Hendrix got his first real break as an opening act for the Monkees and was getting booed off the stage.

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had every Monkee record and even went to a car show to get my picture sitting in the Monkee mobile. They "were" a manufactured band for the T.V. show. But the show wasn't aired on the east coast until awhile after it appeared on the west coast. By then the music had filtered over and every one here assumed they were already a band that had gotten a show. FACT: One of the people that auditioned for the show and band was Charles Manson. Rich.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked them as a kid growing up in the '60's but they didn't really have any talent,them or someone did write some good songs,my favorite was 'not your stepp'n stone',This song sounds better by a SKA band called The Untouchables. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were a great little pop band and at one time were even more popular than the Beatles. Although that was short lived, even Paul McCartney said they were always improving. Funny how some with little, to moderate talent can actually make it in the music business with a little push from the right people.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree that at first they were more known for the TV show, but their hits came out fast and furious. That is why Mickey and Davey had to learn how to play instruments so they could tour. For the most part eh first year was mainly their singing, both Mike and Peter did play, but they had many session artists step in for the right recording sound. Ahhh the 60's, a wonderful time to grow up.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
My girlfriend is the BIGGEST Monkey fan! Shes been to so many concerts, signings, etc. I just dont get it. She would spend $500 on two tix then try to get me to go with her, I never did. She'd take a friend with her & have a great time. I'd buy Pantera or Slayer tix & she never went with me. Id take a buddy, jump in the pit & come home bloodied & broken! lol :headbang:

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a bit of related trivia about the Monkees.

What budding pop star in the 60's changed his name from David Jones so he would not be confused with the already popular Monkee?

David Bowie

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I will admit to liking them, AND I can still sing the songs! 'Course, I liked the Cowsills too. And yes, I'll even admit I liked the Partidge Family!

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
I will admit to liking them, AND I can still sing the songs! 'Course, I liked the Cowsills too. And yes, I'll even admit I liked the Partidge Family!

I figured you more like the Tommy Roe type :D

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mighty AP said:
naturegirl said:

Who??? :wink:

You them damn well AP, as you told me you had all of the Cowsills and Partridge Family autographed albums :D

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Detector(s) used
Only because they are collectible Spart, one day the money I get for em on Ebay will buy me a Lexus! Besides, Ive only played em a few times. :wink: You think its easy getting Susan Days autograph? She is such a b*tch. But my God she is soooooo dreamy. ::) ;D

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mighty AP said:
Only because they are collectible Spart, one day the money I get for em on Ebay will buy me a Lexus! Besides, Ive only played em a few times. :wink: You think its easy getting Susan Days autograph? She is such a b*tch. But my God she is soooooo dreamy. ::) ;D

Susan Dey, mmmmmm, it's too bad she had a chance to be with me and blew it :laughing9: I have t admit I did love watching her too :icon_thumleft:

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Detector(s) used
This is really strange..........my girlfriend JUST told me that she met Susan Day in the bathroom at a Monkeys concert! Im not kidding. She said she talked with her & got an autograph. How weird is that? And she smacked me in the head & said she isnt a b*tch, she's realy very nice. Ouch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread