spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as Led Zeppelin goes I enjoyed several of their songs, and yet I don't own one record, or CD. One sad fact about Led Zep is that they stole much of their music by ripping off black artists from the 50's. I forgot the website, but Stairway to heaven was one of the songs. I believe that it was about 5-6 hits that were stolen.

I also enjoyed the doors, they offered a little bit of everything, rock, blues, and jazz. Morrison could write and perform well when he wasn't under the influence.

Like what was said here before, it is all up to individual taste. What I consider great, many will hate and visa versa. These groups lasted because they had a following. And there are some bands out there that in my opinion were good, and yet didn't last. I had posted on a rock band Sir Lord Baltimore and believe I put up 3 different types of songs. Some people read the post, I am not sure they listened to the music. For me their sound fit right in with the times, the early 70's

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
keverett said:
While I do agree that the Beatles are very overrated, my opinion would be that the Doors are the most overrated band. Yes they had some great music for the short time that Morrison was alive, but they didn't have a bassist, the organ was elementary, pretty much all of the music was very simple, even for the time. Love her Madly is one of my favorites, but doesn't change the fact that they are were way overrated. My two cents. :wink:
Agreed...Not sayin they were a bad band , but c'mon ,Morrison was an egotistical....arrogant...drugged up mediocre talent....and this deserved worship ??

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I admit, I'm not a "the Doors" fan, though, I liked a few of their songs.

However, isn't there a difference between whether a band is good or bad, or over-rated or under-rated a TALENT issue, rather than an individual personality issue?

If we are judging on individual personalities, my answer would have to be much different. Hank Williams Jr - a jerk, John Denvers band - obnoxious sons-a-b's, many, many, many band members have had swollen egos, were (and still are) obnoxious - but, alot like some actors and actresses - I don't care about their personal lives, I care about the performances I pay to see (or hear).

Beth

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on a whole I would say almost
every Band from the 80's: disco
era up are Over rated.

I Know I Stopped Buying Music after the 70's
early 80's

No Staying power anymore

I Call it all Disposable music.
Hear it on the radio say Hummmm "that was good"
or "That sucked" or nothing at all

I Never say "I got to go buy that Album"

but that's my taste in music.

I Never would have went to a Millivanili or Pearl Jam
concert. maybe Nine Inch Nails though.

I Like Korn, Marilyn Manson, The Offspring,
Creed etc. But they are still Disposable to me.

I Like all Zep But Stairway to Heaven the Least.
been Over Played.

I Like their Blues Influenced music.
& Yes the ones they "Stole" :tongue3:
Especially :D

as for stolen songs

I'm Gonna Leave You" - stolen from Anne Bredon
Absolutely ROCKS !

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
spartacus53 said:
The Beatles overrated? :dontknow: I thought they were cutting edge towards the end and introduced new sounds to music. They had a great song writing pair in Lennon and McCartney, and their harmony was also first rate. The Beatles also had at least 20 #1 hits, surpassing any other group. The Beatles are in my top 5, and I would rank Cream as my favorite, even though they were not as popular. It all boils down to what music you like to hear.

I am just curious, who would you claim to be the best band ever then, and why?

The only good Beattles song was the instrumental Norwegian Woods and
all it would take to reunite the Beattles is two more bullets. For those who lived through that era the Beattles had a reputation for five word songs "I wanna hold your hand" and many of their songs sounded best if you were stoned. The Animals were best known for their lyrics "House of the Rising Sun"; "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"; "Sky Pilot" and many others. The Rolling Stones were most known for ugly guys getting laid and their bisexuality led to the glam rock movement which ended any desire i had to listen to rock music.
You mentioned how many gold albums the Beattles sold. When they ousted original band member Peter Best and replaced him with Ringo Starr they also screwed him out of the royalties from the songs he performed on so he got them back. Along about 1964 he released an album called Best of the Beattles with his photo on it. It was nothing but drum solos. Grandmas and Grandpas all over north america bought that album as christmas presents for their grand kids who asked for Beattles albums before there were any. I was told that for many years that was the best selling album they had. siegfried schlagrule

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the White Album is a Gem !

My personal Favorite

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No getting away from the Animals great songs, but "Don't Let Ne Be Misunderstood", was taken from Nina Simone in 1964, the animals did it in 65, or 66.

Have to agree with Jeff on the White album, that is a classic.

The other funny thing Jeff mentioned that is so true today is the content of albums. With very few exceptions in my opinion, most albums/CD's have 1-3 cuts that are really good. When I was buying music in the 70's most albums were great, with the exception of 1, or maybe 2 songs. There is a totally different swing in the wrong direction today, the music will not hold up with a few exceptions as a whole.

And that's my $0.3

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
on a whole I would say almost
every Band from the 80's: disco
era up are Over rated.
===================================================================
Exactly. Can't really call it real music. I called it space music because it mostly couldn't be played without
synthesizers or some electronically generated sound . Really disagree on the Doors, three of the band were
actual music majors & their mix of symphonies & all blends of jazz, blues, etc. were unrivaled by any group
of that era or the next. For sure Morrison had his demons, but when on his game, had one of the best rock voices of that day. Forget 'Light My Fire', dig deeper. Moonlight Drive, The End, Names of the Kingdom, many more.

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
and I always thought that the best thing about the Who....was Daltry's eyes :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
Fistfulladirt said:
Hope I'm not sounding cliche' but it's got to be Zepp. I won't apologize.

Don't
they suck.

They are irritating, cliche, and repetitive.

Their lead singer (Plant?) had a voice that could cut glass and reminded me of that squirmy little creep from the movie 'Warriors"
It's the type of music you hear blasting from trailers in NJ on a Saturday night as the kids drink beer outside and the adults scream over the 36 speaker "hifi" as they play "Rummy" and drink cheap beer and Boone's farm and refer to their "wives" as 'The Old Lady" and discuss the intricacies of welfare fraud by the light of the shadeless lamp in the corner.

LED ZEPPELIN:

I couldn't disagree more about the great Zeppelin. I bought my first Led Zeppelin album which was also their first album a couple weeks after it was released in January of 1969 and bought each succeding album as soon as it was available, I have been a fan ever since, now for over 40 years............

To appreciate the Beatles you had to have been a teenager in 1963 when they first came on the American music scene with the "British Invasion" and seen the change they and others brought to the music world at the time. I was a Sophomore in Highschool when the Beatles, Stones, Who and even the Moody Blues changed the music scene......

As far as most overrated band, every rap group and any group playing on the Grammys the last 20 years.

Spooky said:
Fistfulladirt said:
Hope I'm not sounding cliche' but it's got to be Zepp. I won't apologize.

Don't
they suck.

They are irritating, cliche, and repetitive.

Their lead singer (Plant?) had a voice that could cut glass and reminded me of that squirmy little creep from the movie 'Warriors"
It's the type of music you hear blasting from trailers in NJ on a Saturday night as the kids drink beer outside and the adults scream over the 36 speaker "hifi" as they play "Rummy" and drink cheap beer and Boone's farm and refer to their "wives" as 'The Old Lady" and discuss the intricacies of welfare fraud by the light of the shadeless lamp in the corner.

LED ZEPPELIN:

I couldn't disagree more about the great Zeppelin. I bought my first Led Zeppelin album which was also their first album a couple weeks after it was released in January of 1969 and bought each succeding album as soon as it was available, I have been a fan ever since, now for over 40 years............

To appreciate the Beatles you had to have been a teenager in 1963 when they first came on the American music scene with the "British Invasion" and seen the change they and others brought to the music world at the time. I was a Sophomore in Highschool when the Beatles, Stones, Who and even the Moody Blues changed the music scene......

As far as most overrated band, every rap group and any group playing on the Grammys the last 20 years.

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
TH said...

To appreciate the Beatles you had to have been a teenager in 1963 when they first came on the American music scene with the "British Invasion" and seen the change they and others brought to the music world at the time.

I was born in 1950. The 60's were my teenage years. I remember well :)

And I'm definately with ya on the rap+grammys :(

Funny; back in the day, I didn't like zep. But when my son was in his teens he was into them. And they THEN grew on me. ( The Talking Heads did, too :)
go figure!

The Beatles tho; I still think timing was EVERYTHING for them. And had they come along mid- invasion and say Cream or someone else was first....??

Oh well, I'm just grateful rap didn't come first :)
I MAY have to call it art; but I REFUSE to call it music !

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
probably many of you will jump on me but in my opinion Deep Purple and Pink Floyd are totally overrated

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most overrated? Sex Pistols. But I have their album.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KEverett said:
While I do agree that the Beatles are very overrated, my opinion would be that the Doors are the most overrated band. Yes they had some great music for the short time that Morrison was alive, but they didn't have a bassist, the organ was elementary, pretty much all of the music was very simple, even for the time. Love her Madly is one of my favorites, but doesn't change the fact that they are were way overrated. My two cents. :wink:

They did not need a bassist, one of the few that could get away with it...God LA woman ROCKS....I think most of the new rap crap is over rated...The Beatles started a trend, that could not be stopped..They seem so tame now, but when they came out it was a different thing, as Monty said a lot of people did not like those long haired mop heads.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gallileo60 said:
KEverett said:

They did not need a bassist, one of the few that could get away with it...God LA woman ROCKS....I think most of the new rap crap is over rated...The Beatles started a trend, that could not be stopped..They seem so tame now, but when they came out it was a different thing, as Monty said a lot of people did not like those long haired mop heads.....

Beatles were cutting edge when they first came out.........Any band, group or individual that raps is not only over rated, but just plain sucks....I no longer watch any music awards show other then the CMAs because of all the lousy rap crap that is played.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't listen to c(rap), or newer country music, although I can tolerate 1970's country. What's so different about it?
Ok, back to screamin' Bob Halford.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say either The BeeGee's or Pearl Jam. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions