spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beatles overrated? :dontknow: I thought they were cutting edge towards the end and introduced new sounds to music. They had a great song writing pair in Lennon and McCartney, and their harmony was also first rate. The Beatles also had at least 20 #1 hits, surpassing any other group. The Beatles are in my top 5, and I would rank Cream as my favorite, even though they were not as popular. It all boils down to what music you like to hear.

I am just curious, who would you claim to be the best band ever then, and why?

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
spartacus53 said:
I am just curious, who would you claim to be the best band ever then, and why?

Best band ever? hmm...I dunno. Sooooooooo many greats!
If you mean my favorite; I gotta say Stones.
I prefer the writing team of Jagger+Richards.

I'm not saying the Beatles were't good; just overrrated.
And they came on the scene at the perfect time. Who knows, if they had come later, and say U2 came first,....who knows? lol

But, hey>>>>>>>>>>>> Beatles, Stones, Cream, U2, Elvis, CCR, SRV.........it all holds up, eh?
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with, there are too many great bands that have held up over the decades. It seems like rock, blues, jazz and all the fusions will just keep evolving over the years. As for my very favorite band, the best answer I can is any CD currently playing. I love most of older classic rock groups out there.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always, always liked CCR and the Eagles.

The Beatles changed our music though - of course, you had to be a teen back then to appreciate the difference in what we were listening to, to what the mop-tops brought to the table.

B

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
kiss is the reason for rock n roll you could get your rockers card pulled for talking like that better hope the shop stewards didnt hear you talking like that

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Ashleen said:
In my opinion...

the Beatles.

I agree Ashleen. When they 1st came out in 63'-64' they were cutting edge, great songs & harmony. Lennon/McCartney were great song writers. But when they got into all that psychodelic crap, Yellow Submerine, Lucy in the sky..........I just did not get that. It was the heavy drug use that brought em down. They were good but sooooo over rated. :headbang:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mighty AP said:
Ashleen said:
In my opinion...

the Beatles.

I agree Ashleen. When they 1st came out in 63'-64' they were cutting edge, great songs & harmony. Lennon/McCartney were great song writers. But when they got into all that psychodelic crap, Yellow Submerine, Lucy in the sky..........I just did not get that. It was the heavy drug use that brought em down. They were good but sooooo over rated. :headbang:

I understand what you're saying, but keep in mind the Beatles were always evolving. I didn't care for Yellow submarine, but they had to give something forgettable for Ringo to do :laughing9: But when you look the the Sgt Pepper album, they introduced the sitar, Abbey Road was almost an opera, for 1/2 the album, the 2x White got back to some of their origins in melody, and the Let It Be, was their swan song. Besides the hit "Let It be", it also had "Two of Us", and another favorite was George's "I, me, mine".

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the military when the Beatles came out in the USA. I hated them and their "long hair". I enjoy their music now when I listen to the oldies. Don't care for the drug era Beatles though. Mophead Monty :wink:

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Monty said:
I was in the military when the Beatles came out in the USA. I hated them and their "long hair". I enjoy their music now when I listen to the oldies. Don't care for the drug era Beatles though. Mophead Monty :wink:

LOL!!! MONTY!!!! Im so glad to see that you are still around! Ive missed your humorous replies & threads! Despite what everybody says :D, you are truly one of the good ones!!! :hello2:

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
While I do agree that the Beatles are very overrated, my opinion would be that the Doors are the most overrated band. Yes they had some great music for the short time that Morrison was alive, but they didn't have a bassist, the organ was elementary, pretty much all of the music was very simple, even for the time. Love her Madly is one of my favorites, but doesn't change the fact that they are were way overrated. My two cents. :wink:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow most overrated ?
that's too Tuff

there are too many different genres out there

not to mention too many different bands.
thousands of which I Hate so much I Don't even remember
their names or music till it is Brought up.

I Can say just about everything that has Won a Music
Award Is on My Trash list.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope I'm not sounding cliche' but it's got to be Zepp. I won't apologize. Some of the fondest memories from my youth come from growing up with the Hammer of the Gods.

I do like the Beatles psychedelic years tho.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Monky's,Alice Copper,Maralin Manson,Prince,Flock of Seagulls,just to name a few.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
I too like CCR & the Eagles, but I don't see the Doors as over-rated. Look beyond the few Doors
songs played on the radio & you'll find some blues, jazz, flamenco (sp) & they were one of the
first Rock bands to use an orchestra in the background. A friend that managed a National Record
Mart in the Pitts. area said that the Doors still out sold all rock bands from that era well into the
1980's. Music is like pizza, we all have different likes & dislikes. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread