mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I honestly don't understand it, we have a very long-time friend who does not like music of any kind. We have taken several trips with this friend, from Alaska to California to east coast - from hunting, fishing, treasure hunting and long camping trips. It makes long trips a little difficult to handle, since, even if we are not talking, he asks that we turn the radio or player off. He actually cannot sleep if there is music going, and, even his wedding reception had no music.

He says he doesn't know why - he just has hated music for as long as he could remember, and, I have seen him get headaches when we have been out somewhere where there is music playing, and he will leave.

We have learned to bring a cd player, plugged into the cigarette lighter, with headphones, when making long trips where nobody is talking. I, personally don't listen to rap - I don't really hate any kind of music, but rap does nothing for me. But, I like several other different genres of music, mostly music that is played in minor keys - took many years to figure out what they all had it common, as several of my friends have laughed at my personal tapes (the tapes you make for yourself of music you like), and they find 3 REM songs, 6 country and western songs, and a few rock, and a few blues, and a few folk songs.

The one I got teased about the most - AC/DC on one side - Willie Nelson on the other!!

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes - in everything from music, to clothing, to type of cars, to types of houses - everything.

Nobody has the right to tell you anything about what you do like and what you don't like.

Beth

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
hahaha, I don't think we can convert you OT. Have you listened to Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper? Sorry, you really wouldn't like that one; don't go there. It's fine if you don't like music. I for one still subscribe to the belief that if it's too loud, you're too damn old. Jeff, I thought Nazareth did 'Love Hurts'? which did suck, but they had one cool song which amazingly got airplay.

lol your probably right on nazareth.
For some reason when I read Foghat I Thought of
Love hurts & Thought they did it.
Only thing for sure.
Lame Crybaby song IMO

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Gotta say it - If you have romance in your life,then you have music.And in my belief,the modern day music has eliminated the romance and replaced it with lust and calisthenics.A lovely lady in your arms is music.If only I could live through the 30's and 40's and 50's again.

OP
OP
Old Town

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
warsawdaddy said:
Gotta say it - If you have romance in your life,then you have music.And in my belief,the modern day music has eliminated the romance and replaced it with lust and calisthenics.A lovely lady in your arms is music.If only I could live through the 30's and 40's and 50's again.

wardaddy, you romantic lady killer. I happen to like lusty calisthenics with wayward women but fully understand your point of view.

OT

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people hate to read, they have never read "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", or "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" but that doesn't mean Mark Twain was a bad writter.....

OP
OP
Old Town

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Treasure_Hunter said:
Some people hate to read, they have never read "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", or "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" but that doesn't mean Mark Twain was a bad writter.....

Fully agree. I happen to love Mark Twain.

I really don't "hate" music. (except for country and rap) I actually do not mind most classical but would not choose to turn it on. I don't seek it out. But if Strauss is on the radio, I won't get up to turn it off. This is the highest praise I have for any music.

I prefer silence in all cases if not actually talking with someone. I like to think. I do my best thinking in silence and I'm comfortable alone and in silence. Maybe most people like a crowd and lots of noise. This is not for me. I live in my mind and prefer my own thoughts to what most call music. I've never been bored a minute of my life. I don't understand boredom. Just as I don't understand how anyone could fill their head with the cacophonous racket that is rock, or metal, or any of the other forms of waterless water torture some call music.

OT

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, OT, we most definitely found a middle ground. Say what you will about music. Mark Twain is one of my favorite writers ever, and I find still relevant. Plus one of the few writers I will laugh out loud while reading. Read the stories about the Bad Little Boy, and the Good Little Boy. Jeff, heavy metal bands operate on the principal that you have to write up one slow love song in order to get laid. That's all it's for. All of them did it. I don't think Rob Zombie has yet.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
RGINN said:
OK, OT, we most definitely found a middle ground. Say what you will about music. Mark Twain is one of my favorite writers ever, and I find still relevant. Plus one of the few writers I will laugh out loud while reading. Read the stories about the Bad Little Boy, and the Good Little Boy. Jeff, heavy metal bands operate on the principal that you have to write up one slow love song in order to get laid. That's all it's for. All of them did it. I don't think Rob Zombie has yet.

I had to pull out/find my lil book "The Essential Crazy Wisdom" by Wes "Scoop" Nisker and landed on page 112:

"If I could tell you what it meant, there would be no point in dancing it" ~ Isadora Duncan

(by the way, for what it's worth my FIRST tap dance lesson is this Thursday, at age 47)

I think I'll be on Broadway, don't you?!

OP
OP
Old Town

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Adventure Wolf said:
I once read that a lot of sociopaths (including serial killers) don't like music. This conversation reminds me of that for some reason.

Hitler loved music and was a as failed artist. He liked pretty things and look how he worked out.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Music is a powerful emotional evocative. It's one of the things that differenciate humans from animals.
Happy music makes people happy. Sad music makes people sad. Soothing music has a calming effect, so on and so forth.

Going through life without music to me would be like going to a movie without music. Boring.
I suppose one could block music out of their life, but I can't see why they would want to.

Just my opinion.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
differant strokes for differant folks --- most folks are straight but some aren't -- some folks are dead set racist others are not ,------ most folks have their own special blend of point of veiws on things and quirks --due to their ethinic background -- socail upbringing and life experances

most studies tend to show that people that are haters of music -- often have deep seated "issues" and are social "outcast types" often --- no always but often.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not really an Opera fan, but I would rather listen to 8 hours of opera then listen to 10 mins of RAP......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread