Great Harmony

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
No arguement here,Simon and Garfunkle are some of my favorites. "The Boxer" is awsome. Just why did they quit singing together? I like Paul simon, I've worn out more than one copy of the album Graceland, but more music from the two of them would have been great.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although these two childhood friends from Queens always seem to be at odds, especially when it comes to being creative. They do still get together about every 10 years, so the good news is that they should be performing again in about 2-3 years from now. In he 60's NY was full of great and up and coming groups. I had seen Dion and the Belmont's many times in the neighborhood, they lived only a few blocks away.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I was thinking about what NY must have been like then, for music, and even now. It's hard to imagine. We have are share of homegrown musicians here in Okla. More country by far of course, but I'm sure it doesn't compare to what happens there. Music just reflects the people, like all art does. I've almost started a thread a time or two about local types of music. There would be a big diversity, or would there?

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get to writing that post naturegirl :icon_thumleft: It would be interesting to see what is happening in other cities musically. I can tell you one thing for certain, I don't know of any country music band coming from NYC. The closest may have been Mountain, other than that I'm drawing a blank. What is remarkable is that The Rolling Stones have several songs that sound country, I have no idea where they got that sound from, besides the radio :dontknow:

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
What is remarkable is that The Rolling Stones have several songs that sound country, I have no idea where they got that sound from, besides the radio :dontknow:
[/quote]

Spartacus ,
You need to read Keith Richard's new book "Life".I'm in the process of reading it and it's a real mindblower . Keith pretty much lets it all hang out .I know you would like it .

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirt doctor said:
Spartacus ,
You need to read Keith Richard's new book "Life".I'm in the process of reading it and it's a real mindblower . Keith pretty much lets it all hang out .I know you would like it .

Thanks, I will probably look into that book :icon_thumleft: I did find some of the excerpts disturbing where Keith really drills Mick :dontknow: They are a great writing team together and pretty much need each other to really sweeten up a song. I know that Mick admitted to this fact, but for some strange reason Keith swears he is the best. Neither went anywhere with solo careers, so that should speak for something. I'm just surprised that Keith is still walking amongst us :laughing7:

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
spartacus53 said:
dirt doctor said:
Spartacus ,

Thanks, I will probably look into that book :icon_thumleft: I did find some of the excerpts disturbing where Keith really drills Mick :dontknow: They are a great writing team together and pretty much need each other to really sweeten up a song. I know that Mick admitted to this fact, but for some strange reason Keith swears he is the best. Neither went anywhere with solo careers, so that should speak for something. I'm just surprised that Keith is still walking amongst us :laughing7:

It is remarkable that Keith is still walking among us and according to his book his extensive knowledge of the limitations of Heroin are one of the key factors .He lost quite a few of his friends to smack and in pretty much each case he says what they did wrong to make it to that big shooting gallery in the sky . Very interesting to read about his experiences with women and who some of them were .He drills quite a few people and really spills the beans on Bill Wyman and Brian Jones . A lot of good musical history reading there also .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread