Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not called "Classic Rock" for nothing

I would say in a ten year span from 1965-1975, some of the best ever music was produced. Timeless songs that have withheld several other genres of music even through today. The music was fresh, innovative, interesting and bold. It was a time when you could pick up an LP and maybe dislike 2-3 cuts off an album, the rest were great. Double, even triple albums were full of good writing and performances. That is something you can't say about today's music. You're lucky to have maybe 1-2 great songs on a CD.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: It's not called "Classic Rock" for nothing

I'll agree with you ,but lets take it up to 1980 or 1982,with bands like Van Halen,Boston,Aerosmith,The Cult,Pat Benatar and The Cars.Most of these LP's had 10 to 12 tracks and everyone was good,you can't(or I can't) fine that with todays music,so I've switched to country or roadhouse rock. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Produce Guy said:
I'll agree with you ,but lets take it up to 1980 or 1982,with bands like Van Halen,Boston,Aerosmith,The Cult,Pat Benatar and The Cars.Most of these LP's had 10 to 12 tracks and everyone was good,you can't(or I can't) fine that with todays music,so I've switched to country or roadhouse rock. :icon_scratch:

I agree with you to a point, and I'll even throw Led Zep in for good measure. All the fore mentioned bands are great in their own right. What I omitted from the original post was going into greater detail on being innovative. I think I wrote it on The Beatles vs. The Monkees, where the groups of the earlier era experimented on incorporating different sounds and instruments. The Moog, sitar, banjo, harpsichord, and the flute courtesy of Ian Anderson. Not only did they try new sounds, but mixed music Rock/country, rock/blues, blues/jazz, etc... Rock groups had full orchestra's backing them up and in the case of The Who, wrote a full rock opera.

All of the bands you mentioned are good musicians, but added nothing new to the sound. Even those great bands from the 80's never really ventured out of their safety zone and stuck with their proven formulas.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Spart, I agree....but I would say 1964-1975 (to include first year Beatles hits) However, In my opinion the decade of the eighties was the absolute APEX of ROCK. Hard rock had by then perfected it's craft including the best sizzling guitar riffs of all time! Also, we saw the emergence of all female bands like Bangles, Go Go's, Bananarama, Vixen, etc. (Bangles were the first all female band to play their own instruments AND write their own songs). Can't forget about the second British music invasion at that time either. :thumbsup:

In my opinion music has gone downhill since then.
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Tezcatlipoca/the_80s_were_the_best_decade__you_want_proof_

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

;D Are you guys sure this isn't an age thing? Seems like eveyone consdiers the best rock music to come from their own wild child days :headbang:

thrilla has a good point about the female bands. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

naturegirl said:
;D Are you guys sure this isn't an age thing? Seems like eveyone consdiers the best rock music to come from their own wild child days :headbang:

thrilla has a good point about the female bands. :icon_thumleft:

Nope, this isn't an age thing for sure. Notice the bands in many of my recent posts. Each of these bands tried something new. Whether it was introducing instruments that were not associated with rock, or combining different styles together. Santana would be another example; mixing the sound of rock and Latin. Yes, there are many bands from that era that were just good bands. This is not to say that bands from the 80's through today aren't as good, it's just that they are not inventive. Even the girl bands, great vocal and musicians, but they attempted nothing new to the sound. There may be a handful of bands from the 80's on that took music in a new direction. I would guess the only bands might fall under "Heavy Metal", but to me that is just a louder style of what came before.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't think it's an age thing. But age does help me remember where a lot of today's 'popular' hits got their samples from. But I do think you got more bang for your buck in the classic rock days. There might be one song on an album that nobody liked. Today, I don't buy many albums, but will try to wait for the 'Greatest Hits'. Do not slam The Cult too hard. I saw them in concert in the early 80's, and they are included in my collection 'The 14 year old dude's collection of tunes that will make him irresistable to chicks, if he can get them to listen to them' for 'Love Removal Machine'. Apparently we misjudged the musical preferences of our female peers in the late 60's.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

naturegirl said:
;D Are you guys sure this isn't an age thing? Seems like everyone considers the best rock music to come from their own wild child days :headbang:

Movies today still use music from the era in question, and with good reason. There are children yet to be born that will love this stuff.

Where are the 'rock anthems' of today ? Songs like Won't get fooled again.

Is today's rap going to have the same longevity as 60's - 70's rock ?

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

those years were classic, I tend to favor southern rock myself, but even it follows spartacus' definition. I like some new songs, but always go back to the old classics if I really want to get some hard work done. Can't get into rap. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was never much a Doo Wop fan, but I'll admit there were some great songs. Early rock didn't really appeal to me, it is when music starting becoming hybrid in form, that I really started getting interested.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other

Can't get into rap. icon_scratch

I despise rap with a passion. At a job i had quite a few years ago the teens,just the guys,would try to put a rap cd or tape in the stereo at work.Soon as i heard it i would pull it faster than they put it in. Then i would make them sit there and listen to Jail Break 74 AC/DC :laughing7:

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Saturna said:
naturegirl said:
;D Are you guys sure this isn't an age thing? Seems like everyone considers the best rock music to come from their own wild child days :headbang:

Movies today still use music from the era in question, and with good reason. There are children yet to be born that will love this stuff.

Where are the 'rock anthems' of today ? Songs like Won't get fooled again.

Is today's rap going to have the same longevity as 60's - 70's rock ?

For sure...The Who rocked, and I believe the 80's had some great stuff going..Dire Straights, Van Halen, oh, and the Girl Bands..I say 72 to 88, or 89...The 60's produced it share of great groups, but I was too young at the time to know it...The 90's had a few good bands, most of the stuff from the 2000's is pretty lame in mu opinion, and rap is just plain crap....Must not forget Classic Country too, and the Outlaw Country was pretty damn good...

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.

I agree with the last 2 posts. Good music from the late 50's & into the 80's . Then the space music 'disco' came along.
Little skill, plenty of synthesizers . Then when we thought nothing could be as bad, musically speaking, along comes 'rap'.
No talent required, no ability to play an instrument & talking & rhyming replaces having a decent singing voice. If they could
play a few chords & have a few instruments on stage, they wouldn't have a free hand hand to hold themselves or have to make
strange sounds with their mouth.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red James cash said:
Can't get into rap. icon_scratch

I despise rap with a passion. At a job i had quite a few years ago the teens,just the guys,would try to put a rap cd or tape in the stereo at work.Soon as i heard it i would pull it faster than they put it in. Then i would make them sit there and listen to Jail Break 74 AC/DC :laughing7:

RAP is just crap with out the "C"...........

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cruisin down the road in my decked out customized 1976 Chevy shortbed van, 3 on the floor stereo blasting, rocking to these songs...............Those were the days....

band-aid

Nov 10, 2010

I love classic rock, but why all the hate on rap?

Given, all you guys probably heard was crap like Lil Wayne and Soulja Boy, because it's so mainstream. But there is actually some really great rap out there. For example, RUN-DMC, Nas, old Ice Cube, Army of the Pharaohs, and even some Kanye West are amazing!

Check it-

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

band-aid, I don't hate all rap, nor country, there are a few I would listen to. Most rap just doesn't appeal to me and a good majority are covers.. OK, I should say the earlier rap was mostly covers. :tongue3: At least for me I'd have to say that rap & country just don't compare to blues/jazz... It's just a case of different strokes for different folks.

To even go one step further, there are some top rock bands I don't listen to either :laughing9:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

band-aid said:
I love classic rock, but why all the hate on rap?

Given, all you guys probably heard was crap like Lil Wayne and Soulja Boy, because it's so mainstream. But there is actually some really great rap out there. For example, RUN-DMC, Nas, old Ice Cube, Army of the Pharaohs, and even some Kanye West are amazing!

No offense to you band-aid but to me rap is the worst thing to ever come out, it has also set back the black race 50 years or more, listen to the lyrics of 99.9% of rap songs.......... Artist makes no difference to me, it's all the same crap.....

You couldn't give me free front row center tickets to any rap concert, black, white, brown, male or female.

Even when Run DMC did "Walk This Way" it sucked........I havent listened to "American Music Awards" for better than 10 years because of all the rap on it.....

Don't feel cited though, Justin Bieber, and Britney Spears suck just as bad.............

Lets see, Rap or Tull, I will take Tull anyday.....Saw them live at least 3 times, could have been four, not sure could have been too many brownies........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread