Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Playing at a highway rest stop near you :laughing9:

I guess they need the cash... They were good for their time, but I really don't see much generating much interest, especially when 1/2 weren't musicians to begin with.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Playing at a highway rest stop near you :laughing9:

I guess they need the cash... They were good for their time, but I really don't see much generating much interest, especially when 1/2 weren't musicians to begin with.

To me it's like an H.R. Puff-n-Stuff world tour

or Captain Kangaroo :laughing7:

I Think they all aired at the same time
saturday mornings, & Made the cover
of a pre teen magazine :tongue3:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All in all, I'll still agree with Frank1960, they where a hit for their time..

At one time as far as popularity, they ran head to head with the Beatles.. What is most amazing about their success, their show started as a comedy, but with great song writers behind them, they were able to churn out several hits. Because of that, tours were demanded and Mickey had to learn how to play the drums, and little Davey took months, on months to learn how to play the tambourine :laughing7:

If they didn't exist maybe Jimi Hendrix would have never gotten a break either :dontknow: Don't forget, Jimi's first real gig opening for the Monkees, and getting booed off stage :tongue3:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me about it...

It took him 1 - 2 weeks alone to figure out which hand he would be more comfortable holding it in :tongue3: :laughing7:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boyce & Hart wrote some good songs for them, and they were listenable. I preferred them to the 1910 Fruitgum Company and Pleasant Valley Sunday was probably more listenable than 1-2-3 Redlight. I like guitar hooks so Last Train to Clarksville sounded better on my transistor radio than Chewy, Chewy ( the followup to Yummy, Yummy, Yummy) Yeah buddy Allen, just old farts talkin, I guess. (I did not care for their TV program; wasn't allowed to watch it anyway.) I have all those records, too. On 33's and 45's. Vinyl.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget some other mentionable writers like, Neil Diamond, Carol King and Neal Sedaka :thumbsup:

"Forget That Girl", written by Douglas Farthing Hatlelid (aka Chip Douglas) :laughing7:

They went from almost bubble gum, to pop, getting into rock within 2 years.. Not bad for non musicians. The only terrible album was "Head", an experiment that went awry in my book :laughing7:

I thought Headquarters was a decent album and Nesmith was starting to get a a few more songs published.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank1960, I'll do you one better.. I still have their first 4 albums :laughing7:

I never play them anymore either :headbang: .... It's much easier to hear the songs on youtube :laughing7:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even at the tender age of 10, I found the Yardbirds much more fascinating than the Monkees... :thumbsup:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Spart, Michael Nesmith kinda drove that creative spark. (Texan, and his mom invented liquid paper, remember Mickey Dolenz in 'Circus Boy'? Unknown history of the Monkees.) Head was one of many albums that came in the wake of Sgt. Pepper. That was a strange time, and most of us just wanted them to just shut up and sing. We didn't care who the Walrus was. Probably why I liked Creedence so much.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN, that was the greatest part of those times.. The music was always evolving, experimenting with sounds, instruments and the fusion of different types of music together. Motown was going strong and rock was introduced to the British Invasion, with a different take on old US songs.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only Monkee who had any sense or talent was Michael Nesmith. Period. It is a mystery to me why his solo career never took off. Maybe if he had never been connected with the Monkees it would have been different. He deserves more accolades than he ever recieved!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions