Yes Jeff, its your fav band... The Monkees :)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Jeff, it's your fav band... The Monkees :)

Several months ago Jeff ran a post about the Monkees. Although for the most part they didn't always play their instruments they did make some good music for the time. Even leaving out some of their bigger hits, you can see they had talent. The first 2 songs were written by Nesmith and you may notice a slight country tone to them.. I think Mike was ahead of his time trying to incorporate country rock into music. Then again, there were tons of music from other groups that had a fusion to them; but this I think was the beginning of country rock.

The Monkees pop rock was as good as most of the music in this same genre for that time. I really don't think they got any proper recognition, as they started out as actors trying to play struggling musicians.

You Just may be the one

Sunny Girlfriend

Words

Pleasant Valley Sunday

Door into Summer

She

I'm not your Steppin' stone

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Yes Jeff, it's your fav band... The Monkees :)

Monkees were alright. The final episode should have been where Michael Nesmith tied up Boyce and Hart and drug them down the street behind the Monkeemobile.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I found this little tidbit interesting

"Despite being more of a singer than a musician, Micky purchased one of the first 25 Moog synthesizers, the third Moog Synthesizer ever commercially sold. (The first two belonged to Wendy Carlos and Buck Owens). His performance on The Monkees song "Daily Nightly" (written by Michael Nesmith) from the LP, Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd., was the first use of a synthesizer on a rock recording. He eventually sold his instrument to Bobby Sherman."

And here I thought it was Emerson, Lake, and Palmer :laughing7:

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

I LIKE the monkees, I'll listen to them now as much as anyone else from waaayyyy back then, they just don't get no respect!

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're right, they will never get their due :headbang:

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Monkees were before my time, I only got to watch a few of the reruns of the show in my young age, and yet they are one of my fondest memories when it comes to television shows in my youth.
I have had the theme song from the show stuck in my head doe 30 something years.

Just the other day I had my three year old daughter singing it with me, of course I don't remember all of the words, but oh well. Looking back at some of their other songs I just can't see why they were not more famous then they were, I am guessing because people thought they were more of a gimmick then a band due to the TV show.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Twisted One, the funny thing is that at one time they were as popular as the Beatles and may have even edged them out at one point. They actually did have some great hits for the time, there is no doubt about it.

Again, at first they were just a gimmick for TV. The only real musicians were Mike & Peter.. Mickey was a childhood actor from Circus Boy and auditioned for the part in the TV series. The thing was they became so popular and adored very quickly the powers that be were making them into a real band. Mickey had to take drum lessons and took well over a year just to learn the easy patterns. He never was a good drummer, nor did he want to be a drummer.

What is most interesting is here we have 4 individuals brought together for one purpose and had to change to become a real band. I'd also have to add the Mickey's vocals did make the difference too :headbang:

Like Naturegirl said, they will never get respect.. Need I say Milli Vanilli :laughing9:

The bottom line is that they eventually did play, but it was too little too late :dontknow:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got to see Michael Nesmith at SXSW,here in Austin,TX. He was a keynote speaker about music from the 60's,he also talked about his movie making career. :thumbsup:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

I remember their show well watched it all the time and have a cd of their greatest hits. Ahh the memories

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions