spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first two videos were on the money, but she lacked the soul of Hall in Sara Smiles.

She did however redeem herself in the song below

Overall she is a great singer :headbang:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daryl Hall, backing up Patrick Stump.. Just listen to Daryl, he has soul :occasion14:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Obviously an old thread but I'm a big fan of Joan Osborne as well.

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You see, it all boils down to musical preference. Jeff and I lean towards blues/jazz and the classic rock of the 60's and early 70's. :headbang:

Yes, there are some recent performers that can cut the ice, but the majority of these so called "up to date" artists haven't even caught up to the 50's, so the 60's is way out of reach for them :laughing7:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
spartacus53 said:
You see, it all boils down to musical preference. Jeff and I lean towards blues/jazz and the classic rock of the 60's and early 70's. :headbang:

Yes, there are some recent performers that can cut the ice, but the majority of these so called "up to date" artists haven't even caught up to the 50's, so the 60's is way out of reach for them :laughing7:

My husband got me liking The Temptations a lot,they had style and could actually vocalize together. Ever notice how today's so called singers(especially the females) try and put swirly-q's on every damn song when they just need to actually be able to sing on key,find a note and stick to it?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, she is talking about runs :tongue3: Get with the program and don't start looking bad :laughing7:

CoilyGirl, there is no doubt the Temptations were good, but if you really want to hear true style give the Four Tops some good listening to. Most of there recordings are great, so give Bernadette, and Don't Walk Away Renee a listen to.

Especially Don't Walk Away Renee, this is a soulful version of the Left Bankes pop version. Listen to them side by side, see the difference and appreciate them both :thumbsup: :laughing7:

P.S. I will never steer you wrong, but I may drive you crazy :tongue3:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Jeff, she is talking about runs :tongue3: Get with the program and don't start looking bad :laughing7:

CoilyGirl, there is no doubt the Temptations were good, but if you really want to hear true style give the Four Tops some good listening to. Most of there recordings are great, so give Bernadette, and Don't Walk Away Renee a listen to.

Especially Don't Walk Away Renee, this is a soulful version of the Left Bankes pop version. Listen to them side by side, see the difference and appreciate them both :thumbsup: :laughing7:

P.S. I will never steer you wrong, but I may drive you crazy :tongue3:

Yeah runs,that's what I meant( cough) ;) The Four Tops was great combo music back in my day as were The Spinners and of course the Supremes. Did y'all ever go to combos? They were basically dance parties at peoples' houses with great music. I will definitely have to listen to both versions of Don't Walk Away Renee,often the original isn't the best. I have been known to belt outa pretty remarkable Diana Ross with the aid of my trusty wooden spoon microphone and a glass of Cabernet in my kitchen.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y I will definitely have to listen to both versions of Don't Walk Away Renee,often the original isn't the best. I have been known to belt outa pretty remarkable Diana Ross with the aid of my trusty wooden spoon microphone and a glass of Cabernet in my kitchen.

For me it's not always about the best, but just appreciating the differences in an artists interpretation.
Note: Comparing pop & soul is like comparing apples and oranges :thumbsup:

I assume that you also appear at the local bar during karaoke night :tongue3:

I know I do :laughing7: Both Joe Cocker and Rod Stewart wished they had my pipes :headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah runs,that's what I meant( cough) ;) The Four Tops was great combo music back in my day as were The Spinners and of course the Supremes. Did y'all ever go to combos? They were basically dance parties at peoples' houses with great music. I will definitely have to listen to both versions of Don't Walk Away Renee,often the original isn't the best. I have been known to belt outa pretty remarkable Diana Ross with the aid of my trusty wooden spoon microphone and a glass of Cabernet in my kitchen.

I'm not nor was I ever a singer, I got drug up on stage once at a Karoke bar
to do the "Travolting" half of summer nights, But never tempted to Volunteer
to assault peoples senses.
I had a hunch what you meant by Swirly,Q's but you gave me a chuckle.
yes there are some real offenders there.

combos is not a Pennsylvania word either. first time for that.
here we went to "parties", & "keggers" which usually consisted of a band in the Garage,
barn, or yard which ever was available. & no our Barn parties were not Ho-downs :laughing9:
Nobody Skipped to their loo, or Doe-C-dowed that I saw :tongue3:

No fan of the supremes , especially not ross , not sure why, But she never moved me musically,
I think they were the only ones I feel that way about , although I do suppose there is a song or 2 by them I do like but can't
imagine what it may be at the moment :dontknow:

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here we went to "parties", & "keggers" which usually consisted of a band in the Garage,
barn, or yard which ever was available. & no our Barn parties were not Ho-downs :laughing9:

Jeff, it was almost the same growing up in NYC, if it was the winter we had the "club" (Apartment basement) During the warmer months, we had the wonderful stoop, a 5 step walk-up to the building :laughing7:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
jeff of pa said:
I'm not nor was I ever a singer, I got drug up on stage once at a Karoke bar
to do the "Travolting" half of summer nights, But never tempted to Volunteer
to assault peoples senses.
I had a hunch what you meant by Swirly,Q's but you gave me a chuckle.
yes there are some real offenders there.

combos is not a Pennsylvania word either. first time for that.

No fan of the supremes , especially not ross , not sure why, But she never moved me musically,
I think they were the only ones I feel that way about , although I do suppose there is a song or 2 by them I do like but can't
imagine what it may be at the moment :dontknow:

Combos is the Southern word for keggers ya'll.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread