Folks, Original artists music thread......

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

This was inspired by Spart btw....wouldn't want to be accused of plagiarism....lol.

Lots of monster hits in the music field were actually put out by other artists that for some reason or other more or less went under the radar.....just part of the music game so to speak.

I'll start the ball rolling with Anna by Arthur Alexander.....he had other songs also and apparently was the only artist covered by The Beatles, Stones and Elvis...enjoy and feel free to add to the thread.

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

Here's another one by Arthur Alexander....."The Wanderer"....pretty big hit for Dion if memory serves me correctly.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, I have no problem with people doing covers, but I hate when artists steal a song and never give credit to the original artist. Most British groups of the 60's loved the old black R&B, some covered the songs and groups like Cream rearranged the song, but always gave the proper credit.

Although I have post this before, this is a great original song by Left Banke, and an amazing soulful cover by the Four Tops.

Both are great versions in their own right. I still can't believe that the song was composed by the group's then 16-year-old keyboard player Michael Brown (real name Michael Lookofsky) and Tony Sansone.

Then again, my all time favorite Walk Away song is by the James Gang

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
From my perspective, I despised Pat Boone most for covering many tunes from 'his side of the tracks' when the original songs were being written, popularized and first sung by artists from 'the other side of the tracks'; and I don't mean record tracks.
Don.........

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peter Frampton was another clown like that. Look at it this way, their are still artists today looking at obscure songs and using them, yet few get caught. When I first heard Do You Feel Like I Do, I was singing the Kinks Waterloo Sunset :laughing7:

The Kinks

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don,

I agree with the Pat Boone comments.....on a plus side.....it did give a boost to a lot of the original artists as I side effect.
I seem to recall Little Richard did "Long Tall Sally" and "Tutti Fruiti" at super fast speed so the mainstream artist couldn't
replicate the songs/style easily.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,
Another great tune that has been copied by everyone and their brother.....still have a soft spot for the original by PP Arnold.
The first cut is the deepest....enjoy!

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don,

You mentioned early about the other side of the tracks....me being a bit of a rebel....I'd hang out in black clubs
on a regular basis....usually one of the few during the late 1960's+early 70s.

One place near where I worked was called Rockhead's Paradise....a mini Apollo theater if you will....Rufus Rockhead was a redcap on the local passenger trains and saved his money and opened this place in the 1940's.....this place used to rock big time....he'd bring in the best bands he could afford including these guys who I say live....enjoy!

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

Another one for the thread....twist and shoot....Isley Brothers/Beatles.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill,
While Pat Boone was singing his milquetoast songs ('approved' by parents), I was (perhaps like you and Rockhead's Paradise) frequenting a place in LA called "The 54 Ballroom" (Broadway and 54th in South Los Angeles). Up and coming artist and the big names of the day performed there--like the Apollo in Brooklyn. No doubt these same 54 Ballroom artists also performed at the Apollo. Names like T-BONE WALKER, RAY CHARLES, BIG JOE TURNER, COUNT BASIE W/SARAH VAUGHN, FATS DOMINO, LITTLE WILLIE JOHN, BOBBY BLUE BLAND and ETTA JAMES to list a few kept that place packed each weekend. Good memories; thanks,
Don.....

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don,

Good to see there's a few other crazies out there....when I'd head off to these bars....my friends would look at me like I was completely nuts....I told them point blank....if I wanted to listen to crap.....I'd turn on the radio......I want the real stuff.....lol.

And funny thing is the black dudes appreciated that I like the real McCoy.....they never gave me any grief....either that or they were like my buddies and thought I was nuts....either way.....great time and memories.

Regards + HH

Bill

Bill,
While Pat Boone was singing his milquetoast songs ('approved' by parents), I was (perhaps like you and Rockhead's Paradise) frequenting a place in LA called "The 54 Ballroom" (Broadway and 54th in South Los Angeles). Up and coming artist and the big names of the day performed there--like the Apollo in Brooklyn. No doubt these same 54 Ballroom artists also performed at the Apollo. Names like T-BONE WALKER, RAY CHARLES, BIG JOE TURNER, COUNT BASIE W/SARAH VAUGHN, FATS DOMINO, LITTLE WILLIE JOHN, BOBBY BLUE BLAND and ETTA JAMES to list a few kept that place packed each weekend. Good memories; thanks,
Don.....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill, I'll give you one other place then I'll stop this 'dribble' (as another TN-er calls it). In the little town of Hamilton, Ohio (just north of Cincy) there was a place called Spatz Show Bar (I think I had a day of mourning years ago after I had heard it burned down). Anyway, back in the day (late 50s and early60s) this was The place for THAT kind of music. Why this place had a special allure to big names at the time (still big names today !!l) I don't know, but they all came. How about Bo Diddley and his band, La Verne Baker, the Cadillacs --and some guy named Chuck Berry--THE Chuck Berry. Throw in Hank Ballard and the Midnighters and several others and you can quickly get the idea. This place was hot. It's too bad so many of these people are either gone or inactive; thankfully, their music and their filmed or taped acts remain. And, for sure, I was most fortunate to be there; "The 54", Spatz's, and the Apollo (during the Alan Freed era).
Don...

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mack, one thing I can tell you is that NYC had all the music covered in just one borough. During the 50-70's cafes featuring blues, jazz, rock, folk, beatnik, you name it, we had it and you didn't have to leave The Village either :tongue3: If you didn't want to pay to see a show, you could go to Washington Square Park, and get free ones :laughing7:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Spartacus, I don't doubt that for a second. When I wasn't at an Alan Freed R and R show, you may have caught me at a jazz club on 7th Ave. just behind Times Square on the west side of 7th. Behind the bar was an elevated area where the band was located. An old-timers band playing light jazz like you might imagine in New Orleans. And all you had to do to enjoy it was to walk, sit down and order an adult beverage--no cover, no minimum and no one cared who you are.
Don....

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang,u guys are old or i,m young. I did not hit down town joints till early 80s.
Was surprised of tolerance,guess why was more important than who.
Every town needs a juke joint and rotating talent,its a stereotype breaker when cultures blend.
You got to see some major names but too the evolution from delta to rock,(did i mention age?) :laughing7:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relevent, It's NYC, who said you had to be of legal age to get a drink back then :laughing7: I mostly went to the city in the 60's & 70's.. Life got in the way after that :tongue3:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Relevent, It's NYC, who said you had to be of legal age to get a drink back then :laughing7: I mostly went to the city in the 60's & 70's.. Life got in the way after that :tongue3:

Awww,naughty Spart!
Had a manager when i was 16 who played pool for beer. Kept me covered. It was on tap at work too. No live music though. The club down town you showed i.d. and a couple dollars to a slot in the wood window,never saw who was behind it. Later when they bumped age to 21 the places who had served me for so long kept it up.
Some memories hazy for some reason, but i insisted for awhile that in an nowhere (2 major highways near state borders though) bar/dancehall drafts were 35 cents and 38 special was playing on stage.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread