Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, after seeing Oregon Vikingā€™s ā€œTime to rockā€ thread and how a lot of great 80ā€™s heavy metal ended up being posted, I thought I would go a step heavier and post what I used to listen to in high school.
I would like the time period to be like 1980 to 1991 (the year I graduated high school) as the 90ā€™s seemed to get worse as far as rock and metal goes IMO.
I donā€™t mind if you post a great thrash band from the 80ā€™s doing more recent material but I donā€™t want new crap because most new bands now canā€™t play any instruments and groan the same guttural animal sounds for vocals.
After being with a woman for 18 years who didnā€™t like me playing my old shite, I am now ā€œreacquaintingā€ myself in last few years with the music from my youth. My poor 37 inch high Cerwin Vegaā€™s (and a 300 watt sub) havenā€™t been flexed in awhile!
Feel free to post Metallica as they are legends but I would appreciate you not posting anything past ā€œJusticeā€ as the band basically sold out with all their radio tunes. I donā€™t want to start a fight, itā€™s just that thereā€™s many thrash bands that stayed true to themselves over the years.

Anyway, I was quite impressed with what you can find on You-tube these days and want to share this gem right off the bat.
From their first album when Jason Newsted was a part of Flotsam and Jetsam......

Too much to choose from when it comes to Anthrax.....

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where to begin with Megadeth?

These guys have long faded in the memories of most but I remember this song (along with Suit and Tie Guy) as being something us bangers related to....

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I got reacquainted with some old high school buds, they said Hey, werenā€™t you the Overkill guy?ā€ So now they call me Overkill Dave.....

Listening to this song 20+ years later makes me appreciate the lyrics and plus look how good these guys looked over 10 years after they released this tune......

Back in the height of my thrash days, I remember the absolute shock when these already ā€œold guysā€ put out this album. It was faster and heavier than anything they ever did and it blew my effing mind! 20 years later and their still rockinā€™ and thrashing hard!

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, I donā€™t mind if you post some 70ā€™s pioneers that influenced thrash. There were several bands putting out heavy and fast music before Metallica and these guys already had two albums before Kill ā€˜em all came out.
Early pioneer stuff right here....

Speaking of Canadian bands, a part of this song was the theme to our ā€œPower Hourā€ on Much Music. I had this on vinyl and my only complaint was that I couldnā€™t crank it loud enough, so I had to get it on cd.

Let's make a triple shot of Canada with Annihilator!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day, skaters and bangers were of different groups but bands like Suicidal Tendencies helped bridge the gap.

This song was actually a bit of a theme song for us high school kids back in the day. These guys were super young when their first album came out.
What teenager wasnā€™t bored from time to time?
Death Angel.....

Another metal theme song back in the day. Great band!
Exodus.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These guys were in my top favourites and even though the second album ā€œBlessings in Disguiseā€ had a different singer, it was still a very tight, solid album. These guys deserve more credit than they got.
Metal Church.....

This band may not fit into the thrash genre but I feel they belong here; especially their first 2 albums. They did do some heavy tunes and plus lead guitarist Criss Oliva was incredible but unfortunately, passed away too soon.
Savatage......

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could fill page after page with good tracks by these guys! Still going strong!
Testament.....

I had the CD that this track came from and it appealed to my environmental angst.
Nuclear Assault.....

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Germans dominated the metal scene for years and hereā€™s couple of bands for ya....
Kreator....

Sodom....

These guys might not be heavy enough to put here but hey, itā€™s Helloween!

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I didnā€™t post any Slayer. I did listen to them briefly in the 80ā€™s. They cashed in on their hellish persona but then I heard these guys who were born, raised, and living in hell.
I would say that this was the heaviest sh*t that I listened to.

Well, that's it for now. I'm gonna sit back and let others post for now! :laughing7:
I'll be back!
Cheers,
Dave.
:headbang:

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great start to an awesome Thread Dave, excellent idea. I'll start off by adding a tune from the band D.R.I. from the album Thrash Zone.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who could ever forget the band GWAR? This is probably the most unforgettable band in the history of music with their on stage persona, antics and costumes. Chances are that I'd be banned for life if I ever post one of their live videos so I'll leave that for everyone to check out on their own. Their lead singer Oderus Urungus sadly just recently passed away of a heroin overdose. The band has vowed to keep on going and has just recently announced their two newest members BlĆ³thar and Vulvatron.

TBKK1y.jpg

Here's some reading on the newest members.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Two-GWAR-Members-To-Join-Their-Scumdog-Brothers-on-the-GWAR-Eternal-Tour-this-Fall-.html?soid=1103380377696&aid=PLfuB1Fa3n4

For your listening enjoyment. :occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes, Celtic Frost.......That lead singer was one ugly mo fo! I remember a video back in the late 80's of him dressed up like Marilyn Munroe! I think it was "Cherry Orchards."
Beware watching that video because you might end up heaving. :laughing7:

Pantera.......R.I.P. Dimebag! :headbang:

I never liked Venom but will give props because they are early pioneers.

Wow, I forgot about the German band Vendetta. Thanks for that bud! :thumbsup:
Here's two more German legends.......

Anyone remember these guys?

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K. this has to be done!

We just can't have a thread about thrash without these guys!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=1]Disturbed-

Down with the Sickness
[/h]
as a Moderator I can't post it due to language, but I think it fits here