Lets wake up and talk about what really was going on in Vietnam in 1970 thru music

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Let's wake up and talk about what really was going on in Vietnam in 1970 thru music

This is the first time I have ever mentioned this publicly.

I was Mom's apple pie, and then came Cambodia. I'd never done a drug before. But on my first night there a joint was passed to me. Then came the NVA artillery. And from there by the end of 1970 I was heavily addicted to heroin. It's not like I chose to do that, it's more that it was part of the death culture. We had no way out.

I came home addicted, went cold turkey on the plane back. The blessing was that there was only innocence here at home, and I had no source. And Vietnam was the last time I did drugs.

But, you throw a kid into that, and what are you going to get in return?

There were many just like me. Mostly, they're dead now. And here's the music of the time...

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Life is going around in circles
Wonder will it ever end
If I die, baby, will you miss me
Or just find another friend?

Does it matter what I do
Live life right or bear a grudge?
Does it matter what I do
Is there anyone to judge?

I have been to many places
I have journeyed through the mind
Though Ive found some different faces
Another answer I cant find

Does it matter what I do
Is there anyone to say?
Does it matter what I do
Is there any other way?

I have got what I once dreamed of
As a child, so long ago
But my life just goes in circles
Cause one answer I dont know

Does it matter what I do
Who will hear me if I cry?
Does it matter what I do
Does it matter if I die?

Read more: Ten Years After - Circles Lyrics | MetroLyrics

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not going to Like this Post :unhappysmiley:
No Judgements from me, Just not going to.

I love that song though & Cool You got out of it.

I hated War,

I Hate war,

I will always Hate War !

& I got lucky . I didn't graduate till '73

Or I would have become a Canadian, Or Cave dweller !

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
want to know you, I want to show you
I want to grow you inside of me
I want to see you, I want to free you
I want to be you inside of me

Love me 50,000 miles beneath my brain
Love me 50,000 times and then again

Can you love me with a thousand eyes?
Can you see right through my bones?
Can you kiss me with a thousand lips?
Can you melt a solid stone?

Can you hear me from a thousand miles
When you're screaming at the stars?
Can you pull me up to Jupiter when I'm all hung up on Mars?
Burn my eyes with your flame let your world spin free

Let it go, baby I'll do the same all depends on me
Let it go, it's all the same what with jewels that you can't see
Love me, love me, love me, love me, love me, babe
Bring it on home to me

Read more: Ten Years After - 50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain Lyrics | MetroLyrics

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
by the way, This song reminds me of

and

Do you notice that ?

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Graduated 79 here.
As a kid whenever a guy graduated highschool it was off to the military or college.
Us kids seemed to fill the void and roamed free at all hours.
Vets came home and seemed to be accepted mostly by other vets from other wars, though quietly.
For those stepping off craft back in the U.S. , a mix with some danged awful insults for too many.
Some sisters married and or lived with vets so they were not strange to me. Guys from a war and for those from rural,(well any) homes, a bigger world and their place in it now.
Had refugees live with us too so much of wars impression on others was reflected from a cross section of decent width.
I am fully confident our veterans were and are not spoiled or celebrated.
Now with others coming home they go underground fast around here. Always thanked, but eyeing the world differently and most just want to blend in.
I've told Nam vets I can't relate to being in a war with disabled vets, but to send any needing help coping with my physical adaptation to get them to me.
No takers. Maybe they hit the cities or get out of the state after being released from rehab..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is couple that reminded me of home and how I felt at the time.
USAF 1967-1971

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to say to those Who expect to be thanked by me.
I had / have no Feelings one way or the other on Vets.

Other then to say While they were Marching to Their Drum
I was marching to mine. and trying to Stop the insanity.
Yes I did march in D.C. one year.

I make no apologies or excuses & Expect no apologies or excuses.

I Have partied beside both. Vets & Risistors with no reason to feel different.

We are All Human !

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one that reminded me of home and how I felt.
USAF 1967-1971

Awesome song TH !

LOL on the Guy bottom Right.

View attachment 1153519
Untitledjj.jpg

Looks like he Swallowed a sour Frog :laughing7:

I'm Goin' Home Ten Years After :thumbsup: :hello2::headbang: That's Music

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not going to Like this Post :unhappysmiley:
No Judgements from me, Just not going to.

I love that song though & Cool You got out of it.

I hated War,

I Hate war,

I will always Hate War !

& I got lucky . I didn't graduate till '73

Or I would have become a Canadian, Or Cave dweller !

Jeff, your post inspired me to post this video.......

Deepseeker, I'm glad you're not still addicted to H. Your post inspired me to watch Jacob's Ladder again. I haven't seen it since it came out.
Scary to think that the government slipped soldiers LSD to make them killing machines. Yikes!
Regardless, being in a hellhole like that would make anyone become an addict! I could NEVER know what that was like to be in Vietnam in those days!
BTW, I love Ten Years After! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Dave.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Graduated in '66, and during the high school years we all heard about our military "advisors", and the nightly news, in living color, always showed Buddhist monks setting themselves on fire in protest. After high school that draft came hard and fast for those whose parents did not have connections to get them in the National Guard, which during the '60' was a safe haven-aka NO Viet Nam.
I was called up for my physical in the early months of 1968, with long hair flowing, which I failed due to birth defect in my back. During the process, I was harassed by a Marine gunny who wanted more than ever to send a (------) hippie to Paris Island.
Those who passed were loaded on buses and off to boot camp, a real military assembly line of 6 weeks of training then shipped in country.
Yes, Jeff, "Fortunate Son" was a dead on song of the times.
Country Joe and the Fish recorded many anti-war songs, "Fixin' to Die"( "One, two , three, what are we fighting for, Don't give a damn, next stop is Viet Nam"), "Superbird" about LBJ, "Maria", and "An Untitled Protest-A Death Mantra-No More War")
In the days of "LOVE IT,OR LEAVE", rock music was very political and spoke to and united a generation.
P.S. I never could understand why the American public disrespected the returning Nam Vets. These were 18 & 19 yo kids that were drafted to fight a political war against the "domino effect" of communism and win the "hearts and minds" of the Vietnamese people. I lost many friends because of that war, some in country and others who returned to the "world" only to commit suicide.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also graduated in 1966, In 67, 68 and 69 100s of thousands of Hippies were drafted....

USAF 1967-1971

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
War -It's a tough subject. Do you sit by idle while people are being slaughtered , and you can do something about it?

A question for the ages - I guess everyone has to make up their own mind, and live with it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
War -It's a tough subject. Do you sit by idle while people are being slaughtered , and you can do something about it?

A question for the ages - I guess everyone has to make up their own mind, and live with it.
I could have got out of going by going to college, I knew the score, instead I chose to write that blank check for my country, I took the oath that I will carry to my deathbed and anyone who took the oath knows what I mean..

No offense to anyone but anyone who has never enlisted will never fully understand.....

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I could have got out of going by going to college, I knew the score, instead I chose to write that blank check for my country, I took the oath that I will carry to my deathbed and anyone who took the oath knows what I mean..

No offense to anyone but anyone who has never enlisted will never fully understand.....

I served during the most peaceful time in American history . The mid 80s .
My senior NCOs were all combat veterans.
They stayed for life, and those men will never ever ever get the respect that they so richly deserve .
I on the other hand get 10% off my constant and many purchases from Home Depot ( do you see any hardware stores around here ?)
I also got about $600 a month for most of the years I was in college . That was just enough to disqualify me from any other type of student aid .

A purple heart awarded combat veteran should not have to pay United States federal income tax .
They are better Americans then you and I .

There should be a box at the bottom of form 1040 that asks,
"Honorably discharged , right shoulder patch, United States combat wounded?"

Fully exempt .
Proceed to bottom of form 1040 , enter 0.00 in "amount you owe, " Thank you.

Then, and only then would combat veterans get the respect and thanks they deserve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This was the first time I visited my original post, a confessional, about a year ago now.

I guess I was just embarrassed that I had confessed. Probably more than a few jiggers of brandy that night.

That war sure messed up our nation for over a decade after the end. The glory of WWII was not fated to be ours. It certainly took a while afterwards for me to grow up.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseeker, I'm glad you're not still addicted to H. Your post inspired me to watch Jacob's Ladder again. I haven't seen it since it came out.
Scary to think that the government slipped soldiers LSD to make them killing machines. Yikes!
Regardless, being in a hellhole like that would make anyone become an addict! I could NEVER know what that was like to be in Vietnam in those days!
BTW, I love Ten Years After! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Dave.

I find it hard to believe slipped soldiers LSD to make them killing machines.
Perhaps Experimentally they tried . But I'd guess if the soldiers weren't Grooving over the Noises & colors,
They were freaking out wondering what is going on. I would believe it would work better as a non Lethal way to Brain Wash (Psych Out)
the enemy

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I find it hard to believe slipped soldiers LSD to make them killing machines.
Perhaps Experimentally they tried . But I'd guess if the soldiers weren't Grooving over the Noises & colors,
They were freaking out wondering what is going on. I would believe it would work better as a non Lethal way to Brain Wash (Psych Out)
the enemy

They didn't do that, at least to my knowledge. Maybe they did, but not to me.

BrassEagle

Mar 15, 2009
Grainte Bay
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster/Di
Deepseeker Thanks for your service from me and thanks for your service from other's that are to full of B.S. and unwilling to do so. When and if war ever comes here to the U.S. I have Your Back covered.{ Brother} War what is it good for nothing.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

What's it Good for?

Nothing,,,

Absolutely!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread