Sam Cooke

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Danged Jeff! You're too young to remember Sam Cooke!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Deep,
That song, a Change is Gonna Come, was released a year after his death.
In 1964, I was living in LA when I heard the news Cooke had been shot by a LA motel manager--at the age of 33.
My world stopped for a moment;I was a big fan.
Here's one you may not have heard, but it 'moves me' each time I hear it.(especially with the volume up).

Don......

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
At over 8 minutes in duration, you never heard this song on a 45, you had to be there; like at the "54 Ballroom" at 54th and Broadway in LA; not the best section of LA, but certainly one of the best if you wanted to see, hear and dance to artists like Sam Cooke.
Don.......
PS: It wasn't called the 54 Ballroom, it was called the Five Four Ballroom. The Five Four was to LA as the Apollo is to Harlem.

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Used to fire up my classroom computer and hand report cards out every 6 weeks. The song? Sam Cooke's, What a Wonderful World. Teachers, administrators loved it as I danced around and handed the presorted report cards out. Students, not so much. "Don't know much about History, don't know much Biology, Don't know much about A Science Book, Don't know much about the French I took. Still love that song...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread