R.I.P. Gregg Allman

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange but true story....I had a girlfriend who left me for Gregg when we all lived in the same apartment complex back in 1986-87. He invited her to come sit in on his practice jam sessions and from then on she was always too busy for me. I guess I was not as talented....but it was a kinda good memory. RIP Gregg.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Central Florida musicians all knew each other during the '60's, the ALLMAN JOYS with brother Duane were contemporary with the other Daytona Beach band, THE NIGHTCRAWLERS ("Little Black Egg").
Gregg would hang out by the Main Street Pier, wearing a green, white, and red serape and carrying an acoustic box 12 string guitar. That was his chick magnet, and it worked.
After HOUR GLASS, the brothers merged with the JOKERS a Dickie Betts band mentioned in "Rock and Roll Hootchie Coo" by Rick Derringer, later named the Second Coming, which became the ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND. They would play free concerts in Jacksonville parks before moving to Macon, Ga.
Days before they were signed by Phil Walden, the Allman Brothers Band were to be in a "battle of the bands" held at the auditorium of Gainesville High School. The winning prize was a opening slot at the upcoming MIAMI POP FESTIVAL. They performed, first time I heard "Trouble No More", "Ain't My Cross To Bear", but eliminated themselves from the competition due to the deal with Atlantic Records. I don't remember who won, but remember the Allmans blew the other bands away.
All just seems like yesterday, those were great times.
Gregg and Duane will rock out, once again, with Butch Trucks and Barry Oakley, in heaven.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread