Favorite songs I was raised on

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Stay With Me does remind me of Janis Joplin sound.
Mother Earth...............now there is a band I had not heard in a VERY long time.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Sis, I know you had not heard of Gary Lewis and The Playboys, ( and Gary's dad being the famous Jerry Lewis ), until I posted their songs. Well, you probably never heard of these guys either then. The bass player, ( Dino ), his dad is Dean Martin. The drummer, (Desi ), was son of Lucy and Desi Arnaz.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Dino, Desi, and Billy formed in 1964, Gary Lewis and The Playboys formed 1964 also.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
This one is sorta special to me in several ways. One of the members of our band had really long hair, beard, and moustache. He could pick up any instrument and play it. He could more often than not play a song after listening to it a couple of times. Hendrix was getting great reviews for his playing and my friend was every bit as good and was skilled at playing the guitar behind his neck. Anyway, this guy was also known to like to smoke a little now and then and so my dad was hard on him as well as me for hanging around with him even though I did not smoke. The band practised in my parents basement once a week. One night my dad came downstairs to tell us it was after 10:00 p.m. and they needed to sleep. Everyone left except my long hair friend who was waiting for his sister to come and pick him up. So the three of us ended up talking and finally my dad gave "Don" a challenge. My dad's favorite song was Last Date by Floyd Cramer. My dad bet Don he was not as good as we claimed he was. Don said ok, play the song. My dad put the record on and after it finished playing he was beginning to play it again. Don said "No" much to my dad's surprise, he had it. Don then proceeded to play it note for note. By the time he finished my dad was hooked. Don instantly became a member of our family and remained one of my dad's best friends, ( despite the huge age difference ), right up until Don passed while waiting for a liver transplant due to the drug scene he got hooked into when he went to California looking for musical gigs. ( He wanted me to go too but I had a family at home to support ). Don had to be hospitalized eventually from the liver damage and while he waited for a transplant, ( which NEVER came ), my dad would visit him every single day for the last two months of Don's life. Don had really made an impression on my dad. Don also taught me how to play drums. He was an incredibly talented musician and friend. So........... for me, this song is special and I add it to your list Sis and in dedication to both Don and my dad, may you both rest in peace but keep the music rolling :sadsmiley: :notworthy:.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
FLOW was an early jazz rock fusion band formed by John Winter, keyboards, sax, flute, Mike Barnett, Drums (fellow members of Ocala High School Class of '66) Don Felder, guitar, and Chuck Newcomb, bass and vocals. They recorded one album on CREED TAYLOR RECORDS.
Winter and Barnett were in THE INCIDENTALS, a British invasion cover band, and Felder was in THE CONTINENTALS (with Stephen Stills, Bernie Leadon) and when Stills departed, they changed the name to the MAUDY QUINTET.
Both bands had a 45 single released on Tampa label, Paris Tower, and were contemporary with the NIGHTCRAWLERS and the ALLMAN JOYS.

After leaving FLOW with bad feelings, married and living in Boston, Felder relates:"John Winter, the former keyboard player and saxophone, called up and asked if he could come and stay. He'd been just released from a mental institution in New York State after suffering some drug-related emotional problems"... During the HELL FREEZES OVER TOUR Felder heard(Mike Barnett) "been living in Woodstock for years, and he took a massive drug overdose. They didn't find him for ages, and when they did, his brain had been starved for oxygen for too long. He's in a wheelchair now"
-Don Felder, HEAVEN AND HELL autobiography.
Don Felder and Bernie Leadon joined the EAGLES, Felder wrote "Hotel California".
Mike Barnett and I wrote the OHS Senior Class "66 play that was banned by the principal and never performed.
Mike Barnett has since passed away.

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad we still have " Memories " ECS ! Some good, some bad. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions