WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, and 15 others. I was invited to jam with some retirees from the VILLAGES a few weeks back who played '60s songs.
The guitar player was good (Fender Strat w/single coil pickups/I switched between a Supro w/ P-90 and a Les Paul w/ Humbuckers), and we did the Keith/Ronnie guitar weaving on old Stones like Honky Tonk Woman.
It was an enjoyable afternoon.

That's great! My pastor used to play and had gigs traveling all over. He still hasn't lost his love for playing. He's fixing to retire from pastoring. I suspect he will get back in to playing.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Tracy Nelson of MOTHER EARTH wrote this "Down so Low" about her breakup with Steve Miller.

The band hated playing this live due to the complicated timing changes, but played it the FILLMORE WEST when they opened for Michael Bloomfield's ELECTRIC FLAG. Bloomfield played lead on theor blues song, "Mother Earth" .

It appears, ECS, that you have tapped into another band that I know nothing about. :hello2:

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Genya Ravan belts out "Stay With Me" fronting TEN WHEEL DRIVE a hard rocking brass band. The song was written by Jerry Ragavoy, he wrote ("Piece of My Heart") for Janis Joplin when she was backed by the FULL TILT BOOGIE BAND, but never recorded it.

Not too many women that I have heard can "belt out" like that.

What do you think of this gal?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Really liked Erin's country twang delivery on Bobby McGee, different from Janis who I saw live, sitting at the foot of the stage.
Madewell's guitar work is very tastefully played fills that compliment her vocals. Thank you for bringing this band to my attention. :icon_thumleft:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Live rehearsal footage of MOTHER EARTH in 1969 for their second album "MAKE A JOYFULL NOISE" recorded at BRADLEY's BARN, Mt Juliet, TN. The "A" side was labeled "CITY SIDE" the "B" "COUNTRY SIDE". The songs on this video-"Wait, Wait, Wait, and Hank Williams "You Win Again" would later be recorded for the "Country Side".

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Sis, I know you had not heard of Gary Lewis and The Playboys, ( and Gary's dad being the famous Jerry Lewis ), until I posted their songs. Well, you probably never heard of these guys either then. The bass player, ( Dino ), his dad is Dean Martin. The drummer, (Desi ), was son of Lucy and Desi Arnaz.

You are right. I never heard it. I like it, though. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
This one is sorta special to me in several ways. One of the members of our band had really long hair, beard, and moustache. He could pick up any instrument and play it. He could more often than not play a song after listening to it a couple of times. Hendrix was getting great reviews for his playing and my friend was every bit as good and was skilled at playing the guitar behind his neck. Anyway, this guy was also known to like to smoke a little now and then and so my dad was hard on him as well as me for hanging around with him even though I did not smoke. The band practised in my parents basement once a week. One night my dad came downstairs to tell us it was after 10:00 p.m. and they needed to sleep. Everyone left except my long hair friend who was waiting for his sister to come and pick him up. So the three of us ended up talking and finally my dad gave "Don" a challenge. My dad's favorite song was Last Date by Floyd Cramer. My dad bet Don he was not as good as we claimed he was. Don said ok, play the song. My dad put the record on and after it finished playing he was beginning to play it again. Don said "No" much to my dad's surprise, he had it. Don then proceeded to play it note for note. By the time he finished my dad was hooked. Don instantly became a member of our family and remained one of my dad's best friends, ( despite the huge age difference ), right up until Don passed while waiting for a liver transplant due to the drug scene he got hooked into when he went to California looking for musical gigs. ( He wanted me to go too but I had a family at home to support ). Don had to be hospitalized eventually from the liver damage and while he waited for a transplant, ( which NEVER came ), my dad would visit him every single day for the last two months of Don's life. Don had really made an impression on my dad. Don also taught me how to play drums. He was an incredibly talented musician and friend. So........... for me, this song is special and I add it to your list Sis and in dedication to both Don and my dad, may you both rest in peace but keep the music rolling :sadsmiley: :notworthy:.

thank you for sharing that story. :notworthy: Sounds like he was gifted more than talented.

P. S. I have heard this song.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread