WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
FLOW was an early jazz rock fusion band formed by John Winter, keyboards, sax, flute, Mike Barnett, Drums (fellow members of Ocala High School Class of '66) Don Felder, guitar, and Chuck Newcomb, bass and vocals. They recorded one album on CREED TAYLOR RECORDS.
Winter and Barnett were in THE INCIDENTALS, a British invasion cover band, and Felder was in THE CONTINENTALS (with Stephen Stills, Bernie Leadon) and when Stills departed, they changed the name to the MAUDY QUINTET.
Both bands had a 45 single released on Tampa label, Paris Tower, and were contemporary with the NIGHTCRAWLERS and the ALLMAN JOYS.

After leaving FLOW with bad feelings, married and living in Boston, Felder relates:"John Winter, the former keyboard player and saxophone, called up and asked if he could come and stay. He'd been just released from a mental institution in New York State after suffering some drug-related emotional problems"... During the HELL FREEZES OVER TOUR Felder heard(Mike Barnett) "been living in Woodstock for years, and he took a massive drug overdose. They didn't find him for ages, and when they did, his brain had been starved for oxygen for too long. He's in a wheelchair now"
-Don Felder, HEAVEN AND HELL autobiography.
Don Felder and Bernie Leadon joined the EAGLES, Felder wrote "Hotel California".
Mike Barnett and I wrote the OHS Senior Class "66 play that was banned by the principal and never performed.
Mike Barnett has since passed away.

Well, Simon was right about you! Good to get to know this side of "ECS." Pretty song!

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Really liked Erin's country twang delivery on Bobby McGee, different from Janis who I saw live, sitting at the foot of the stage.
Madewell's guitar work is very tastefully played fills that compliment her vocals. Thank you for bringing this band to my attention. :icon_thumleft:

Erin lost her voice last year, or maybe 2 years now. Had some rare thing going on and finally got proper diagnosis. Jeff is a cancer survivor. He lost his vision because of it. He is legally blind and can actually see about the size of a pin hole. Then, a few years ago, the cancer came back and Erin wrote this song for him.

They are local favorites.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Live rehearsal footage of MOTHER EARTH in 1969 for their second album "MAKE A JOYFULL NOISE" recorded at BRADLEY's BARN, Mt Juliet, TN. The "A" side was labeled "CITY SIDE" the "B" "COUNTRY SIDE". The songs on this video-"Wait, Wait, Wait, and Hank Williams "You Win Again" would later be recorded for the "Country Side".

Dang! Such a voice from such a little thing!

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought I had heard of most bands out there, but you continue to surprise me ECS. :notworthy:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Another from the MidWest:
ECS, when was the last time you saw "Tuck-And-Roll" naugahyde amps like those ?

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Sis and guys, I need to get back to my project and so will not be posting for a while, ( unless I feel a disturbance in the force ). Thanks for the time and memories. I will lurk so that I am not behind on what is happening here.

Thank you everyone :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Tracey Ullman crusin' days with Paul

...or Drivin' with Pearl Harbor & the Explosions

THE PHOTOS

Rachel Sweet

Good songs, ECS. On that first one, I was thinking, "Wait a minute. Is that tracey Ullman the actress?" So, I had to look it up. Sure as shootin' it is. I never knew she sang.

I was also thinking of telling you that you could give Bill a ru for his money on the RCT. I see you already posted "Drivin'" :thumbsup:

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Sis and guys, I need to get back to my project and so will not be posting for a while, ( unless I feel a disturbance in the force ). Thanks for the time and memories. I will lurk so that I am not behind on what is happening here.

Thank you everyone :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Well, your songs are new to me. :hello2:

I look forward to your next writer's block. CUL8R Bro!

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I attempted to load "Survivor" by Cindy Bullins but it will not play! :icon_scratch:???:BangHead:

Here's a couple. The first one is not very good quality, but gives a little history.

This one's a little better quality.

Here's an interview

I never heard of her or this song. Thanks, ECS! :hello2:

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
My dad played in a band in his younger years. They played what is considered rockabilly now. They cut a record and were going to go to Nashville and try and make it big. Mom gave him a choice. He chose family. That's how I became his singing partner. I was surprised to find this on YouTube. My dad is one of the original " fugitives" from Jackie Pittman and the fugitives. Here is their 45.

I got a chance to sit with my dad and ask him about his playing days. He didn't used to like talking about it much. Now, it seems to create a little twinkle in his eye. It was a little frustrating at times, because his memory is failing. I am not positive, but I believe my dad is the only one left living. First thing I found out was that he has a different version of why he quit playing. He said it got to the point where the band was playing 4 nights a week and he was working five days a week, and it was too much for him. I suspect the truth is a combination of the two reasons. He said he started out playing with Bill Whitmeyer. He would go to Bill's house, and Bill played piano and my dad played guitar. Then, this band started forming and when someone couldn't play, they had another step in. Here are the guys he played with:
Bill Whitmeyer - piano
Creed Chapman - lead guitar
Jack King - piano
Bill Galloway - drums
Mike Miller - drums until he went into the Service
Dad - bass
Jackie Pitman - singer
Don Chapman - guitar

Now, he said Don Chapman went on to play guitar for Crystal Gayle and bass for Ernest Tubb.

He also told me that he, my dad, is playing bass on Mount Shasta. So I will play it again.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Another from the MidWest:
In the middle '60's there were several Florida bands that had matching KUSTOM amps- those were the days when it was obligatory to have matching amps, be it Kustom, Fender, or Vox...and the type of amp defined the band's musical style.
The matching amp thing ended with the SF hippie bands that used whatever the members could afford.
On the TV show, GLEE, when they showed a band, the amps were those red rolled and pleated Kustoms.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, Simon, last month at Crescent City Music in Crescent City , Florida.
Hansen Holdings of Ohio bought the rights to produce those KUSTOM Tuck and Roll Naugahyde Amps, and between 1999-2001 they were manufactured in China, of course.
Crescent City Music is having a everything goes going out of business sale, and on their facebook page are photos of red and blue Kustom amps.

PS: This is a hoarders music store, totally cluttered with 2000 guitars and bass hanging from the ceiling and aisles one has to walk sideways in because they are filled with amps.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL, are you calling Simon out? He'll feel that tremor in the force. :laughing9:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
In the middle '60's there were several Florida bands that had matching KUSTOM amps- those were the days when it was obligatory to have matching amps, be it Kustom, Fender, or Vox...and the type of amp defined the band's musical style.
The matching amp thing ended with the SF hippie bands that used whatever the members could afford.
On the TV show, GLEE, when they showed a band, the amps were those red rolled and pleated Kustoms.
=======

The matching amps and wardrobe was something I appreciated. The guitars got a pass because of all the different sounds available which also helped define their musical style. When I played, I used two full matching sets of drums but with a wide variety of different size and brands of cymbals.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, Simon, last month at Crescent City Music in Crescent City , Florida.
Hansen Holdings of Ohio bought the rights to produce those KUSTOM Tuck and Roll Naugahyde Amps, and between 1999-2001 they were manufactured in China, of course.
Crescent City Music is having a everything goes going out of business sale, and on their facebook page are photos of red and blue Kustom amps.

PS: This is a hoarders music store, totally cluttered with 2000 guitars and bass hanging from the ceiling and aisles one has to walk sideways in because they are filled with amps.
======
Glad I am to far away to visit their store because I would love to walk among items that bring back so many fond memories. I would not be able to leave without buying more that I should :BangHead: Those kind of stores are non existent here, all we have is Guitar Centers and they just don't transport you back in time. :sadsmiley:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread