Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey Simon
How many in your group? What tunes did y'all play and how long?
A best friend of mine and I were in the HS band together (mainly for the girls) anyway we were sitting in boring study hall one day and we talked about starting a little garage type band. Well ok what now? Members. We had to be very careful here. Shooting for 4 to 5 members in this boring little town. Secretly started the interviews. Well we had friends that were football players that wanted too but couldn't play on Friday night in case we got a job. So we stuck with mostly high school band members. Remember, the Beatles, Dave Clark Five, Herman Hermits etc. We're coming over from Europe. So off we go buying Heath Kit amps. Cheap guitars and mics. Our drummer had the most difficult time convincing his parents that this was going to be our living.:laughing7: Yeah.
Well well finally learned 4 sets. Mostly 3 chord progression tunes. Rented the community Center for 25 bucks. Promoted the dance after a football game and off we go. Member changes came later but the main four remained the same. More later when a friend of mine returned from Vietnam and made us 5.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Simon
How many in your group? What tunes did y'all play and how long?
A best friend of mine and I were in the HS band together (mainly for the girls) anyway we were sitting in boring study hall one day and we talked about starting a little garage type band. Well ok what now? Members. We had to be very careful here. Shooting for 4 to 5 members in this boring little town. Secretly started the interviews. Well we had friends that were football players that wanted too but couldn't play on Friday night in case we got a job. So we stuck with mostly high school band members. Remember, the Beatles, Dave Clark Five, Herman Hermits etc. We're coming over from Europe. So off we go buying Heath Kit amps. Cheap guitars and mics. Our drummer had the most difficult time convincing his parents that this was going to be our living.:laughing7: Yeah.
Well well finally learned 4 sets. Mostly 3 chord progression tunes. Rented the community Center for 25 bucks. Promoted the dance after a football game and off we go. Member changes came later but the main four remained the same. More later when a friend of mine returned from Vietnam and made us 5.

(mainly for the girls)
OH I am shocked!

Play some of the tunes you played, rook.

For that matter, Simon, ECS, and anyone else who played.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Google "PSYCHEDELIC STATES: Florida in the "60's/Vol 4" Gear Fab records GF276 Track 19
"I'd Really Like to Watch You Fly" Ecumenical Drugstore
My "hippie band" recorded for Orlando label, TENER RECORDS in 1969.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well I had a of ton stuff written and lost it last night when I forgot how to spell Peavy and had to leave for a second. Anyway. WD We played a lot of soul. Otis,percy,Barkays who backed Otis. Sam&Dave etc. We traveled mostly half the state of Ms. In to Tennessee, West Alabama, a few times in Florida anyway.
After we had been out awhile as seniors in high school we had a chance to be on Dance Party in Memphis WHBQ. The show highlighted a band each week from all over. We had to fake the song we had on tape. GLORIA BY The Shadows of Night. We had reworked the tune. After HS we broke up with every body going in different directions. I was in Memphis, Dennis (drummer) wound up in Missouri etc.
As time move on a few moved back to the village and a class reunion came around. One female organizer suggested we get back together to play a few tunes.
I said oh shirt.
So four of us were available so we practiced a few tunes a rounded up some equipment and away we go again. If you want more jobs to do just play a class reunion.
So now we are in our mid 40's and rolling again. A member was good friends with the Peavy dealer in Tupelo Ms. So we changed over a lot of equipment over to Peavy. It is or was made in Meridian Ms. So we got great service when electronics went down. I did use my old Bassman at some events.
Fast forward. We were playing the Jackson Homebuilders Ass. one weekend and a pretty nice crowd was there. I might add that we didn't play but one bar in a all our venture into this deal. But at Homebuilders a lady can up after a complemented the tunes and said to be on stand by for a certain weekend.
As it turns out it was is Governor Fordice. We were invited to play one of his balls when he was elected. Playing a lot in Jackson probably helped get that job.
Later we played the national Post masters convention in Nashville. Just played tunes people liked I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Me? I first sang with my dad to Johnny Cash "Daddy Sang Bass." Approx. 4 years old. He recorded it on reel to reel which has since dry rotted.

Then, a few years later, on my front porch with my cousin. Scared the beejeebies out of my mom. She ran through the house to find out who was hurt.

I moved on up through the ranks to sing at my church, where the usher informed me, "Had I know you were singing, I would have passed out the earplugs."

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Rook, That's pretty cool. :notworthy:

We eventually evolved and started doing a Blues Brother show. "Stand by your man". It was a Hoot. That thing after perfecting it got us a lot of business. I happened to get nominated to be Elwood.:laughing7: It was a killer if you weren't in shape. I wasn't but survived.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Me? I first sang with my dad to Johnny Cash "Daddy Sang Bass." Approx. 4 years old. He recorded it on reel to reel which has since dry rotted.

Then, a few years later, on my front porch with my cousin. Scared the beejeebies out of my mom. She ran through the house to find out who was hurt.

I moved on up through the ranks to sing at my church, where the usher informed me, "Had I know you were singing, I would have passed out the earplugs."

tenor (91).gif

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish you 3 could get together and play. That would be cool.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Heck
It couldn't have been that bad.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That would be cool. I sold my Fender Premission bass to a student at Ole Miss. He played jazz. He didn't want the Fender Jazz, too heavy. After years all I have left is a 63 VOX violin bass made in Italy. I'll make a pic for y'all. It cool looking but didn't have near the sound the American made Fenders had.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This is last remnant of the old days. 8F77E1FC-74EE-4CBB-9F6C-B05C1F46E4E5.jpeg
I’ll hang on to it even though no one in my family will want it.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I had a of ton stuff written and lost it last night when I forgot how to spell Peavy and had to leave for a second. Anyway. WD We played a lot of soul. Otis,percy,Barkays who backed Otis. Sam&Dave etc. We traveled mostly half the state of Ms. In to Tennessee, West Alabama, a few times in Florida anyway.
After we had been out awhile as seniors in high school we had a chance to be on Dance Party in Memphis WHBQ. The show highlighted a band each week from all over. We had to fake the song we had on tape. GLORIA BY The Shadows of Night. We had reworked the tune. After HS we broke up with every body going in different directions. I was in Memphis, Dennis (drummer) wound up in Missouri etc.
As time move on a few moved back to the village and a class reunion came around. One female organizer suggested we get back together to play a few tunes.
I said oh shirt.
So four of us were available so we practiced a few tunes a rounded up some equipment and away we go again. If you want more jobs to do just play a class reunion.
So now we are in our mid 40's and rolling again. A member was good friends with the Peavy dealer in Tupelo Ms. So we changed over a lot of equipment over to Peavy. It is or was made in Meridian Ms. So we got great service when electronics went down. I did use my old Bassman at some events.
Fast forward. We were playing the Jackson Homebuilders Ass. one weekend and a pretty nice crowd was there. I might add that we didn't play but one bar in a all our venture into this deal. But at Homebuilders a lady can up after a complemented the tunes and said to be on stand by for a certain weekend.
As it turns out it was is Governor Fordice. We were invited to play one of his balls when he was elected. Playing a lot in Jackson probably helped get that job.
Later we played the national Post masters convention in Nashville. Just played tunes people liked I guess.

For some reason, I think you might have played this one.:laughing9: Is this the right "Barkays"

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
OK this ones for me. Never heard this music before. I would have enjoyed skating to this one!

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
We eventually evolved and started doing a Blues Brother show. "Stand by your man". It was a Hoot. That thing after perfecting it got us a lot of business. I happened to get nominated to be Elwood.:laughing7: It was a killer if you weren't in shape. I wasn't but survived.

Classic Movie! Loved it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread