Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Got to keep the contributors happy. :tongue3:

Actually, I liked that one and Half Breed.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
It’s national tequila day!

Brings another old favorite to mind.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

The MONTEREY INTERNATIONAL POP FESTIVAL , June 16/17/18 1967 was the change of the guard.
George Harrison and Brian Jones walked among the crowd, the BIG 5 San Francisco bands and Mike Bloomfield's ELECTRIC FLAG were introduced to the world, as well as Jimi Hendrix who set his Fender Strat on fire, Otis Redding with Booker T & MG's, Hugh Masakela's jazz, Ravi Shankar's sitar, the Who, made Whiskey A GOGO regular Johnny Rivers' performance lame.
Buffalo Springfield and the Mamas & Papas, who co produced the Festival with Lou Adler, were La bands that were able to hold their own, and the Byrds played well, but David Crosby's remarks about the Kennedy Assassination being a government conspiracy and his playing with the Springfield, caused him to be kicked out of the Byrds, which eventually led to Crosby, Stills, & Nash and their performance at WOODSTOCK, their 2nd gig as a band.
The Beach Boys were going to play, but when band members checked out the bands and the San Francisco scene, backed out, knowing it was the change of the guard.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Thorinshield was a 1967 acoustic 3piece psychedelic folk band from LA that released on one album, with strong social commentary lyrics. Minimal airplay for 2 singles from this album caused the band to breakup on 1968.
The bass player player recorded and toured with Donovan and the Mamas & Papas.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Thorinshield was a 1967 acoustic 3piece psychedelic folk band from LA that released on one album, with strong social commentary lyrics. Minimal airplay for 2 singles from this album caused the band to breakup on 1968.
The bass player player recorded and toured with Donovan and the Mamas & Papas.

Sounded great, ECS.

I wonder, did they take their name from the LOTR books?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounded great, ECS. I wonder, did they take their name from the LOTR books?
Quite possible, as all the LOTR books were released in paperback during that tome and were popular with the "hippies".
Another popular book was "STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND" by Robert Heinlein.
The concept of "water brothers" in that book is mentioned in the song, "Triad" by David Crosby and Paul Kantner, and was recorded both by the Byrds and Jefferson Airplane.
The arguments over including this song on a Byrds album and Crosby playing with Buffalo Springfield at Monterey Pop after the Byrds set with his government Kennedy assassination conspiracy rant caused McGuinn and Hillman to kick him out of the Byrds.
Another book Crosby passed out in the Haight-Ashbury during that time, was the Sci-Fi novel, "WASP" , by Eric Frank Russel , which he called a how to handbook for revolution.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, ECS, you sure know a lot of music history and the details. The name caught my attention because for about 6-7 years I was stuck on watching the movies over and over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread