Tesoro Family since 1987 and just pulled the Trigger on a new MX Sport

Scout

Jul 18, 2012
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Whites MX SPORT, Tesoro Eldorado 1989 model, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super excited to make the decision on a new Whites MX Sport detector!
We started relic hunting back in 1987 with my Dad he purchased the Tesoro Sabre and I got the Eldorado you know the old lunch box models and we still use the but my brother got my Dads after he passed from cancer but man we had some great hunts looking for the Lost Padre Mine! I was going to get a Tesoro Vaquero Black but after seeing them close down I did look at all the brands and read many reviews and feedback on this great forum and decided on the MX Sport for Relic + Beach sands + parks and old ghost town site from the 1800's. The biggest thing I'm pumped about is having a Visual Screen to see whats going on underground like a quarter, dime, etc. We always dug everything anyway because we are usually in off the beaten path areas but this is a Game Changer for me :occasion14:
I ordered the Ultra lite headphones to go with them and will be posting some finds from my new GoPro footage as soon as I get out swinging.
Needing a good shovel for grass if anyone has a good brand to recommend for a shovel mainly for park grass.
Scout is stoked!

"Always use grease on your Bisquet pan especially when it says use an ungreased pan!:thumbsup:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll love the Whites machines. I'm using a Lesche shovel and it is very strong (I do wish it had a slight curve to it though to scoop dirt out of the hole a bit) For the parks I would recommend you carry a large flat head screwdriver and practice popping shallow coins with it. As I have can pinpoint dead one with my Whites MX5 and pop a shallow coin out with the screw driver it saves a lot of time digging.

Let me know what you think of the sport as it may be my next machine as well.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the SPort it's super hot making it super deep

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the Mx Sport is a fine machine. I believe it will hang in there with the best of the VLF machines on the current market.

It is a great choice for relics from what I've seen my digging buddy unearth. Lots of flat iron and bigger objects ect. It reminds me a lot of my f75 which makes sense since they are both in that 13 ish KHZ range. Seems like a nice all around machine from our signal comparisons and digs.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

Jul 18, 2012
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really pissed with my new MX Sport detector!
I researched for this detector for months and right away the detector would shut itself off when I was swinging it. I am a seasoned veteran so I know what i'm doing and it happened each of its six first trial hunts and today I called Whites, it would shut off 3,4,5, times and called Whites and told me send it back for repairs! and they wanted ME to pay shipping! this detector should never have left their building and obviously was never tested. After cooling off I called back and convinced them to emailed me a return shipping label to send it back, gee thanks. I'm really disappointed after all the great reviews on this detector now I get to own a brand new defect refurbished model I saved years to own. What a let down and will see what happens when I get it back!

Good news I was not happy at all with the girl at White's saying they were going to repair my brand new detector so today I called and talked to Jack and said no on the repair and they will send me a brand new detector out today and not try to fix a detector that was bad from the start.
Thank you Jack! :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scout

Scout

Jul 18, 2012
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll love the Whites machines. I'm using a Lesche shovel and it is very strong (I do wish it had a slight curve to it though to scoop dirt out of the hole a bit) For the parks I would recommend you carry a large flat head screwdriver and practice popping shallow coins with it. As I have can pinpoint dead one with my Whites MX5 and pop a shallow coin out with the screw driver it saves a lot of time digging.

I researched for this detector for months and right away the detector would shut itself off when I was swinging it. I am a seasoned veteran so I know what i'm doing and it happened each of its six first trial hunts and today I called Whites, it would shut off 3,4,5, times and called Whites and told me send it back for repairs! and they wanted ME to pay shipping! this detector should never have left their building and obviously was never tested. After cooling off I called back and convinced them to emailed me a return shipping label to send it back, gee thanks. I'm really disappointed after all the great reviews on this detector now I get to own a brand new defect refurbished model I saved years to own. What a let down and will see what happens when I get it back!

Good news I was not happy at all with the girl at White's saying they were going to repair my brand new detector so today I called and talked to Jack and said no on the repair and they will send me a brand new detector out today and not try to fix a detector that was bad from the start.
Thank you Jack!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scout

Scout

Jul 18, 2012
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Mx Sport is a fine machine. I believe it will hang in there with the best of the VLF machines on the current market.

It is a great choice for relics from what I've seen my digging buddy unearth. Lots of flat iron and bigger objects ect. It reminds me a lot of my f75 which makes sense since they are both in that 13 ish KHZ range. Seems like a nice all around machine from our signal comparisons and digs.

Thank you Jack!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scout

Scout

Jul 18, 2012
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the SPort it's super hot making it super deep

Thank you Jack!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scout

Scout

Jul 18, 2012
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Eman1000 I really like the MX Sport but the issue with it shutting off they are sending me a new detector and sent that defected one back.

I was gonna by a Lesche shovel but didn't want to spend that much money when I remembered this little 2 ft shovel I got at a yard sale from an old prospector and the handle was toast and used it for mining YARD ART so I looked in my scrap metal for a steel handle to weld on because the head was the perfect size just like the Lesche so I welded it on and was not gonna paint it but had some paint handy and it came out awesome and carry it in my left hand and dig the target nicely with the shovel and the when its out of the hole then I bend down with the pinpointer and recover the target... super simple and fast! My brother and I see so many people swing over a target for 5 minuets!!! and we tell them DIG IT! :BangHead:quit making noise ..right!:icon_thumleft:

Here is the shovel build see how crusty the wood handle was....and here is what I carry..Shovel, pinpointer, plastic scoop, I carry a screwdriver as well filed to a point to stick in the grass to hit the coin before digging, I put the little shovel next to a full size shovel to show the size..
shovel build.jpg
IMG_4115.jpg
IMG_4120.jpg

before the paint...and it just needs a motocross hand grip and it will be dialed in!
shovel.jpg

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone can get a defective unit from any brand. I'm not a Whites guru but everyone says their customer service is great and it sure seems to be. Hope your new one works out for you!

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

Jul 18, 2012
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah High turns out I just needed to get to the right person from the get-go
Cheers good hunting :occasion14: