Pillar dollar Found

CoinFinder52

Oct 5, 2008
1746 pillar dollar found, do you have any idea whats it worth? a mexico mint, this coin is silver, tis coin was found at a elementry school ground i found 2 pillar dollars one a dime sized one bigger than a quarter is in the picture. these coins were found at 4 inches deep. also found lots of british lead bullets, i also have a redcot british button of a uniform, if you have any questions on these items or need any more pictures tell me. thanks, any values would be helpful. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CoinFinder52

Oct 5, 2008
pictures coming, some reason it says file to large, i croped it, so if somebody can help me out?

A

archaeon

open your image in the windows image viewer...on the right there is an icon, it is to the left of the questionmark icon..click on it..this will open the windows image editor..then:

(according to the help search):

To change the size of your picture
On the Image menu, click Attributes.
Under Units, click the unit of measurement you want to use for the width and height.
Type the measurements in Width and Height.
Notes

You can also resize your picture by dragging the image resize handles, located at the lower-right corner and along the bottom and right sides of your picture. (You might need to maximize the window to see the square resize handles.)
If your current picture is bigger than the new size, the picture is cut from the right side and bottom to fit within the smaller area. If your current picture is smaller than the new size, the extra area is filled with the selected background color.

OR
if you have image editing sftware on your computer, open it in that software, click edit image, click "resize" and resize it to 640x480

i hope this helps

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pillar dollar is about silver dollar size. A dime sized coin wouldn't be a pillar dollar, it would be a half real. Nickel size would be a one real. slightly larger than a quarter like you're describing sounds like a 2 reale. 4 reale (half dollar size). 8 reale, or piece of eight, is a pillar dollar. Thats a great find for any detectorist no matter which denomination it is. Looking forward to the pictures.

A

archaeon

if you want to see a half reale, i found two. they are in "best finds"-"flint found with a detector.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very interested in seeing the pictures of your finds. It sounds like you found a pretty nice place to hunt. I love those old relics.

Steve

OP
OP
C

CoinFinder52

Oct 5, 2008
Here's my pics on my pillar dollar and a small reale. If u could tell me the value of these coins, Thanks There's one or two trade marks on the coins

Attachments

• DSC01835.JPG
    DSC01835.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 963
  • DSC01829.JPG
    DSC01829.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 997
  • DSC01837.JPG
    DSC01837.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 933
  • DSC01838.JPG
    DSC01838.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 894

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spanish silver usually isn't incredibly valuable. The truth is, older American silver comparitively has more value. Try looking at your coin on e-bay. There's usually a few examples of Spanish silver on there and what the market will pay is what your coin is worth as far as true value goes. Good luck.

Rob

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Coinfinder! The larger coin is a 2 Reales piece minted in Mexico City similar to a quarter in value back in the day, the smaller coin appears to be a 1 Reale or 12 1/2 cents back then. Due to the lack of coinage produced by our country back then, the Spanish silver and British coppers were legal tender and used as such up into the mid 1800's. The 8 Reales is a Pillar dollar or Piece of Eight, 4 Reales equal to a Half Dollar, 2 Reales equal to a Quarter, 1 Reale equal to about 12 1/2 cents, 1/2 Reale about 6 cents.

That 2 Reales is a knockout! 8) I love it. Please post photos of your other relics recovered there. I am very interested in seeing the buttons, musket balls and other notable relics.

Thanks for sharing your finds with us.

Steve

OP
OP
C

CoinFinder52

Oct 5, 2008
Do you know this value of this 1690 copper? found at same place

Attachments

• DSC01841.JPG
    DSC01841.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 836
  • DSC01842.JPG
    DSC01842.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 816

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, looks to be a William III Farthing if I am not mistaken. I don't have a coin book right now, ( I am at work). :D Just do a search on William III Farthing. By the way it is in not too bad shape for the age. I have a 1694 William and Mary Farthing that I dug in Upstate N.Y. years ago but it is pretty smooth.

What state are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Steve

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Adding to Steve's comments: The top coin is a 1746 2-reales coin from the reign of Felipe V. It should measure 28 mm in diameter and weigh about 6.76 grams--.916 or .917 fine. A few years ago this coin would fetch $10 in 'good' and $30 in 'fine' conditions.
The coin is the same as "two bits" or a quarter of a dollar (pillar or otherwise).
Nice find.
Don.....

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
Sounds to me like you found a spot, where some action went down, and your finding things lost in the heat of battle, or stumbling into an ambush. Even today when you go into combat you loose rounds and personal items that you are not capable of or allowed to go back to look for. This sight will probably produce more fine finds, Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread