A white baardman or bellarmine jar

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a few days now, though I would upload another of my best finds.

This baardman or bellarmine jar I found in a deep pit a number of years ago, I got out many other nice metal finds also from that pit. But that's for another time. It's called a 'white' baardman or Bellarmine Jar, and white ones are quite rare or scarce, it is the first and only one I have found in my whole MD career, and I have found quite a few, a total of about 20 of them, and more small pieces. There were two in the pit, one was in pretty bad shape and I gave it to a friend of mine.

This one measures 22 x 14 centimeters, and dates from the 17 or 16th century.

Attachments

• Baardman 22x14 cm sm.jpg
    Baardman 22x14 cm sm.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 827
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wanted one of these, I have tried many times to buy one but they are too expensive (and thats not the white versions).

I have only every found small pieces.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds. I really like them.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
I have always wanted one of these, I have tried many times to buy one but they are too expensive (and that's not the white versions).
I have only every found small pieces.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Yes they are expensive. I have only seen one or two pieces of a Bellarmine jar while searching in England, so a whole one could be hard to find. I think the reason we find so many here is because of the canals and the soggy soft soil here. We don't have the hard soil of England or rocks. It is unusual even to find any natural stones when you are digging here, so you can see that is much different than England. Almost all natural stone has been imported to Holland and its expensive. The most of the jugs are found in building projects, such as new roads or large buildings, where they have to fill in an old canals. To do that they first have to drain it, and before or after they dig out the gunk from the canal we jump in, just like mudlarks (after the workers have gone and in weekends).

Usually you always find nice things in the mud and that is almost the only way to find them whole, with the exception of cesspools or pits dug back in the 15-17th century in back yards and such. Sometimes after the top layers of soil is scraped off you can see where one of these cesspools is, and then you have to dig it out. Hard work, most are not 2 meters across but only measured in cm, so tight and mostly dangerous work, the pit can collapse. Done only some small ones in my career.

Funny story in the local paper two weeks ago. Every year there is a thing for the kids, old lumber is brought to a place (most every year someplace different) and the kids build huts there. This is supported by the city, and they can win prizes. Well after its done the wood is placed in a big heap and burnt at night. Well a couple of kids who went back there the next day, while walking around, saw something sticking out of the soil, and dug it out with their hands. A 15th century (brown) Bellarmine Jar, complete, not even broken! So you just have to look....

This is another way to find them, in trash dumped long ago, in out of the way places.

O

ohannos

I really like that jar, a stunning artifact. How big is it and what was it used for?
Thanks for showing something different and interresting :coffee2:

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohannos said:
I really like that jar, a stunning artifact. How big is it and what was it used for?
Thanks for showing something different and interresting :coffee2:

Yes its very nice for sure, and its 8.7 inches high and 5.5 inches wide. They were used for many many things, mostly liquid because they were water tight. Some stories exist about the name, where people thing the jug is without doubt a Bellarmine as the face is of Cardinal Bellarmine (1542-1621), who was famous for putting Galileo in prison and an anti alcohol crusader. His face was on the jugs as an insult to him.

Look at http://cf.hum.uva.nl/galle/avondster/beardman.html for much more information about these jugs.

O

ohannos

Interesting history ! And it is a beautiful artifact you can place visible and enjoy every day.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Woody,you find all the good stuff :-\ .I found something close onetime,but not the same.Merry christmas relicduude :D

Attachments

• santa.jpg
    santa.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 430
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RELICDUDE07 said:
Woody,you find all the good stuff :-\ .I found something close onetime,but not the same.Merry christmas relicduude :D
Great RelicDude! Very nice idea, would make a nice xmas card for metal searchers...
You found something close? What was that and where (in the usa?).... Merry Xmas to you too! Just another few days, got my stocking out today.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful piece.

I did some searching online and could not find one as elaborate as the one you found. It is really incredible to find one intact. Here in the U.S., bottle diggers are lucky to get a few unbroken bottles out of a modestly sized trash pit. All the rest are broken. As you know, both Chance and Luck have to play a part in keeping a bottle that beautiful intact for five hundred years.

Thank you for sharing the photos, and best wishes to you for the holidays.

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleElf said:
That is a beautiful piece.

I did some searching online and could not find one as elaborate as the one you found. It is really incredible to find one intact. Here in the U.S., bottle diggers are lucky to get a few unbroken bottles out of a modestly sized trash pit. All the rest are broken. As you know, both Chance and Luck have to play a part in keeping a bottle that beautiful intact for five hundred years.

Thank you for sharing the photos, and best wishes to you for the holidays.
Regards,
Buckles
Thanks, a white belarmine jar is very rare here too, sometimes you find a piece or two. Glass bottles are even very hard to find here too.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Woody, I am in awe! Your finds are jaw dropping. :o

Thank you so much for showing and telling...educating us on such a beautiful object. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mona Angel Pants Elf said:
Woody, I am in awe! Your finds are jaw dropping. :o

Thank you so much for showing and telling...educating us on such a beautiful object. :thumbsup:
Thanks Mona, but I HAVE been detecting a long time, since 87', so in those years you are bound to find some good stuff. Glad you guys enjoyed the photos and the story, its always interesting to know a little about how people lived back then. Sometimes it makes you stand still and bless everything you have now, especially a nice warm home and enough to eat. It was not always so...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions