A wooden measuring stick from 1650 (more data received...)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received some more data from the GMVV (Gewichten en Maten Verzamelaars Vereniging = Weights and measures collectors society) in Holland.

It's called a Zwaaihaak in dutch (english = Swing Hook, but thats just a google translation).
The length is good, must be 27.7cm and is divided into 10 thumbs (a thumb is about an inch).
That is a special official measure from Hoorn, The Netherlands. By the points 2.5 and 7.5 thumbs
a special symbol is given to show that that point is 1/4 foot and 3/4 foot.
It was called the (Citys) foot from Hoorn.

Dutch:
Je had deze zwaaihaak (ook: zweihaak) al eens aan mij laten zien, toen ik
samen met Gary Batz bij je op bezoek was, jaren geleden. De (stads) voet
van Hoorn meet 10 duim en is 27,7 cm lang. Daarom staan er vermoedelijk
bij 2,5 en 7,5 duim aparte tekens, om aan te geven dat het om 1/4 en 3/4 voet gaat.

In 1820 the metric system was introduced into Holland. Before that had some towns/cities and Providences in Holland their own measuring systems. Hoorn, where I live, was one of those towns, because it was on of the United East India Company's (the VOC) main towns where all its ships were repaired and revitalized. The Hoornse foot was 27.7 cm long, and that was divided into 10 parts.

A number of years ago, while searching in a deep pit where the VOC wharf was located I came across a piece of wood with my metal detector, because on the wood were mounted some brass parts. When I cleaned it off I found in my hand a measuring stick, made from wood and in perfect condition. Washing it off I saw the divisions of the stick, and when I turned it over to my surprise I saw a date, 1650! I almost jumped out of the deep pit in one movement, but just really climbed up the ladder. Looking more carefully in the daylight I also saw a makers mark (cure mark) on the stick. Wonder over wonder when I got home and really looked it was in PERFECT condition. Being under water since that date and in sticky clay mud had preserved the stick, just waiting to be found all that time.

Here in Holland its called a duimstok, translated that would be a thumb stick, that is because the 10 parts (2.7cm) are the widths of an average thumb.

I had the stick professionally preserved by a company here in Holland, it might not had to be done, but just to be sure. I don't know what sort of wood it is, could be palmwood. It has been one of my TOP finds for many years now, I often wonder which worker lost it and what he was doing on the ship when it fell into the water. Once in a lifetime find for sure, I have found other measuring sticks, but I imagine they were thrown away, because there is always a defect on them, and this is the only dated one I have ever seen.

Attachments

• Duimstok 1.jpg
    Duimstok 1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,650
  • Duimstok 2.jpg
    Duimstok 2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,576
  • Duimstok date.jpg
    Duimstok date.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,561
  • Duimstok measurments.jpg
    Duimstok measurments.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,578
Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A wooden measuring stick from 1650

notgittinenny said:
It almost looks like a sliding T-Bevel. Here's a pic at Wikipedia......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliding_T_bevel ....NGE

You are right notgittinenny (what a name!), I think it is such a thing, but I don't know the name. The only difference is that this one does not slide, but a T bevel could be correct.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

warsawdaddy said:
What a great historic find! Congratulations!

Thanks, yes it is of historical value I am sure.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, this is an incredible find.

:o

Once in a lifetime for anyone.

Good that you had it professionally conserved. Wood doesn't fare very well when it dries out after being wet for so many years.

Regards,

Buckleboy

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

that item makes American colonial relics look like land fill :-\ ;D

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Amazing that it's in such great shape, that's a beautiful find!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

thats a great find woody! fascinating :thumbsup:

T

trish76642

that is a very cool find!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

That is an amazing find. I am curious what you have done to preserve the wood?

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil in West Jersey said:
That is an amazing find. I am curious what you have done to preserve the wood?
Hi Neil...
Quote: I had the stick professionally preserved by a company here in Holland, it might not had to be done, but just to be sure.

To try to answer your question I must explain how a piece of wood like this is preserved in the soil in Holland. The south and west of the Netherlands is actually a massive river delta of three important European rivers, The Rhine, the Waal and the Maas and tributaries of the Scheldt. 27% of its area and 60% of its population located below sea level. The soils are mostly made up of sand, gravel, clay, and peat; these type are grouped all over the land. Where I live we have peat and clay. Lucky for the stick that it was covered with a clay layer, then if it is also under water it cannot decay. I don't know if this is unique in the world, I guess not, but England and USA don't have many places like it. I would think that somewhere in West Jersey might be an area like that, or a swamp someplace.

An example of the preservation of wood can be seen in the city of Amsterdam. Amsterdam's buildings were built on wooden pine piles (at least until the 20th century) and those piles remain good unless the water level sinks, then they are uncovered and rot away very very quickly. So the water level in Holland is very important in the South and West, and is very carefully regulated. For instance the water level in my garden is found if you dig down about 4 or 5 feed deep; then the hole fills with water.

When wood is found deep in the Hollands earth here most of the time it is in the same condition as when it was lost or thrown away, if its deep and wet enough. Wood just stays good in this anoxic stage under clay and water, but when exposed to air again it decays away at a unbelievable rate.Therefore the first thing that I did after finding the stick was to wrap it in plastic and then place it in water taken from the pit where I found it, that way the wood is still in water with its normal minerals and salts.

I then took it to Delft (about 1 1/2 hours drive) to a specialized company. They performed cleaning, documentation and analysis, and finally, stabilisation. Then they used special liquids to replace the water in the wood and reduce shrinkage, and then the freeze-dryed it. Then it was treated with a chemical to stabilize the wood.

I have done this with a few wooden artifacts that I have found. Most of the time when I find a wooden spoon from the 16th or 17th century I can clean and treat it myself using special oils, they are made mostly of hard wood and do not shrink. Also I do that for most leather and other materials, but if I think its very valuable for historical reasons I do let the job over to pros...

Here is also a wooden head that I also found very deep in the mud, it too was preserved by the professional company. It does cost money, but your other choice with leather, wood or other organic materials is to let it rot away. Also some of the other relics that I found and have had treated them myself.

Attachments

• Wooden head 17th Century.jpg
    Wooden head 17th Century.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,222
  • Wooden Spoon 15e Century.jpg
    Wooden Spoon 15e Century.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,235
  • Clothes pin 17th Century.jpg
    Clothes pin 17th Century.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,184
  • Lice Comb 17th Century.jpg
    Lice Comb 17th Century.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,795
  • Small drinking cup 16th Century.jpg
    Small drinking cup 16th Century.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,220

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Woody,

Thank you for the information. This is what makes this such a great hobby. Every day is a new learning experience.

As far as the soil in Southern New Jersey, we have the best of both worlds. In some of the nearby area the water tables are very high. I have found well preserved axes complete with the handles attached as well as 200 year old buttons with the cloth still intact. Unfortunately, I never did much to preserve them and they became brittle soon after. The coins found in these areas do not fare well. The high mineral content can turn a nice 100 year old quarter into an unreadable round disk.

On the other hand, there are piny areas nearby which have sandy, well drained soil. These areas are kind to metal. I have dug 200 year old coins that look almost as nice as the day they were dropped.

Thanks for the info. Our local history goes back almost to the time that stick was dropped. I have recently found evidence of a Dutch fort that was once nearby. I hope to explore the area sometime late this fall. Maybe I will find something as great as you have. The information you provided may prove useful.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Niel, thanks for that information. Yes we all continue to learn don't we? I'm 67 and thought that learning would be over, but it just continues. Glad to know that you also have some small areas with possible good finds. I also have found some lead seals, which were used to guarantee the quality of cloth back then, and still attached to some of the material. I preserved them myself, using a special oil, 30% solution of Polyethylene glygol (PEG) for two weeks. Keep that in mind if you do find that material again, it is very very very rare to find such old material, and I know, it turns to dust in a few days if not properly taken care of. You could also contact your local Archeology Society for help with the material.

Here is a short note on how to preserve leather, it works. Although I have never had to use step 2 and 3.
1) Carefully remove concretions using metal and/or wood picks and toothbrushes.
2) Alternate baths of 2%-5% solution of Ammonium Citrate and distilled water, until concretions are soft.
3) Using picks and toothbrushes again, carefully remove any concretions.
4) Allow leather to soak for 24 hours in room temperature distilled water.
5) Stuff nylon or wooden blocks into areas which require support, if necessary.
6) Shoes are a good example of a leather artifact that requires support.
7) Submerge the item in a 30% solution of Polyethylene glygol (PEG) for two weeks.
8) Rinse excess PEG with warm water.
9) Use a freeze dryer (not your freezer) if available or allow artifact to air dry away from any sun and heat sources.
10) While still damp, wipe a leather softener and conditioner on the artifact.
11) The leather should be conditioned frequently after the initial treatment has been completed.

I have used steps 4,7,8 and 9 for cloth remains also. If you then put the object between kitchen towels until the oil is removed it comes out pretty good. Have to watch out for staining though.

Wood, I do about in the same way as leather...

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man you Rock.I wish to hunt in yours hunting fields.
CONGRATS.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Bulgarian said:
Man you Rock.I wish to hunt in yours hunting fields.
CONGRATS.
Thanks... Seeing your nickname, I would like to search in Bulgaria, but always heard its too dangerous!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice indeed ;D

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Very nice indeed ;D
Thanks Cru, coming from you it means much!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread