Perfect Head Find

COBuckburn

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2008
Colorado
I found this head in California last year. A perfect head, no cracks, no breaks. No heartbreakers.
I was out hunting in the morning after a hard rain when I found this one in a dry creek bed.

It is made from obsidian and is a Stemmed-Bifurcated Form arrowhead. The particular name of this head is Eastgate Split-Stem. It is a variation of the Elko Wide Notch style arrowhead from the Late Archaic to the Developmental Phase ( 3500-1200 B.P.) I can't match this head with the exact cultural period, but I can make matches indicating that it may also be from the Historic Phase (400-170 B.P.) or the Classic Phase (700-400 B.P.) . So it as least 170+ years old.

If anyone with knowledge of arrowheads would like to throw in their ideas, theories, etc. it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG00093.jpg
    IMG00093.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG00092.jpg
    IMG00092.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG00094.jpg
    IMG00094.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 597
Upvote 0
OP
OP
COBuckburn

COBuckburn

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2008
Colorado
Thanks for the input plehbah. I definately agree that the Great Basin and Far West typologies are very broad and it can be difficult to match a particular piece to a specific period. I also agree that this piece fits a earlier date but I tend to second guess myself when I can also match it with a different period.

I'm going to stick with the Archaic affiliation.

CoinFinder52

Oct 5, 2008
i have the same arrow head or simalier, It's just neat to have!
i went to New Mexico and i found lots of different arrow heads

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread