UXO KILLS

eggman

Tenderfoot
Aug 15, 2005
Atlanta
Just a friendly reminder that unearthed, unexploded ordnance can kill you and/or your little dog too.

There are still large numbers of Civil War era UXO scattered throughout the Southeast and as far North as VA. If you think you found something that looks like it was used for military purposes, take a photo and post it. I can help you determine if you need to run!!! and call for EOD services or if it is something that needs further assessment to determine its safe for display.

There are a ton of people out there with cannon balls, mortars, grenades and God knows what else, just sitting on their mantel....usually just over the fireplace. All it takes is a bit of heat, shock and/or friction before that cool talking piece turns your mother-in-law into a pink mist.

Be safe and have fun finding lost treasures.

Attachments

• UXO 003.jpg
    UXO 003.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 737
Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
What would you suggest a person do with these?...
index.php

(2) - .44 cal... One of them has been smashed already
(1) - .22 cal
I have had them in a box for a while now and keep forgetting about them...
I like keeping them around for conversation pieces, but I don't want them to end up taking someone's head off...

OP
OP
eggman

eggman

Tenderfoot
Aug 15, 2005
Atlanta
Treat as you would any ammunition. Over time, the gun powder inside small arms casings can become sensitive.

Understanding the basic principles of what causes an explosion might help you determine how you exhibit your find. There are three main physical ingredients that cause UXO to detonate with either a high order detonation (big crack or large forcefull explosion) or a low order detonation (rapid burn rather than explosion).

The first is HEAT - fire, prolonged exposure to sunlight, Oprah's spandex.

The second is SHOCK - dropping, hitting, throwing or seeing Oprah in her spandex.

Lastly, there's FRICTION - rubbing, buffing, grinding or some other lame Oprah reference.

Thanks for the question. I hope I didn't bore you with too much information.

eggman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread