nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey,I am glad i am figuring out this posting pics,kinda enjoy sharing my hunts with alot of Great hunters.
I done some research on an area that i was hoping would bring Civil War relics like a buckle or something really good.I searched for quite sometime and dug a few drop bullets,a couple coin buttons and some other items that may have been in the right time era for the 1860's.I was told there had been quite abit of detecting done at this place and it would be hard to find anything.Well that may scare some people but to me that just makes the hunt that more interesting,because i don't give up easy.So I kinda changed my strategy and decided to hunt an old wagon road that has been cluttered with old fallen trees,large limbs and several ruts made by the creek that runs beside it.I looked darn near to dark and found alot of iron from years gone by and just about given up for the day,when i got a signal just like all the rest of the iron but with crossing my swing pattern i could tell this piece was just alittle longer than the rest. So i took some stones and marked the size of my target and started digging and at about 9 inches or so, i see a hard straight piece that kinda look like a rod .So i dug on the other end carefully and found the other end had a big ball of something on the end and than it dawned on me that this could be possibly a bayonet.So than i got real careful on retrieving the target by digging all around it to keep any pressure off of it,so i could just lift it out of the ground.Once i had it in my hands i got chills all over and was thinking of this long lost weapon that was once used for eye to eye combat and how this one certain piece is about the only thing you have to defend yourself when the drum roll order comes out for you to charge in such very deadly time of a soldiers life.
This is definetly one of my greatest finds and doubt i will ever find another but i am so glad that i took the old wagon road home.
Nova Treasure

Attachments

• 100_0178.jpg
    100_0178.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 653
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find.

Looks like you need to use some electrolysis on it to preserve it.

That's why digging the iron signals in worked out sites pays off. Nice work--and I agree with you 100% on not being afraid of well-hunted spots.

Regards,

Buckles

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
At least you had something to take home and show the wife that for once your time is well worth spent, "look what I found" I like to go to places that have been searched before, at least then all the junk has been taken off, makes it much more easier to look in places that might hold something waiting for you.

Well done.

Square Nail

Greenie
Nov 5, 2008
Great find and an excellent job of recovery. I have a lot to learn from you. The items I've broken while prying out have all been junk, so I'll try and change my ways. If it's worth digging, it's worth being a bit careful.

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Square Nail said:
Great find and an excellent job of recovery. I have a lot to learn from you. The items I've broken while prying out have all been junk, so I'll try and change my ways. If it's worth digging, it's worth being a bit careful.

Thanks Everyone for the Compliments.

Square nail,I always treat my finds like a gift,I was given the gift of opportunity to Metal detect on private property,so i will dig my holes with respect for the owner.Than retrieving the find may be very delicate,so open it carefully and hope it's what you wished for. :)

Nova Treasure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread