Erotic Tin Cover from a small box, around 1390-1410

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This cover I found a number of years ago, I consider it one of my best finds.
It was in great condition when I found it in a deep put, in the mud, did not have to restore it at all.

Description:
Tin Cover to a small box
Found in a deep pit in north Holland
Height about 70mm, about 2 3/4"
Material Lead/tin
Determination around the end of the 14th century to begin of 15th century

Attachments

• Tin Box Cover 1390-1410 70mm.jpg
    Tin Box Cover 1390-1410 70mm.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,448
Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tin Cover from a small box, around 1390-1410

The other day I finally found another box cover or lid just like mine on the net, just by accident. I did not know that another had existed.

It is shown at http://www.medievalbadges.org/p6linkdomburg.html

The other lid was found in the sunken small village of Nieuwlande (New Land), in the south of Holland in Zeeland.

This village was build on reclaimed land and was destroyed by very high sea water during a storm on November 5th 1530 and during storms in the following two years, it was finally abandoned. For many years metal detectorists have searched the water for finds, but it was declared a monument in 1991 and was expressed forbidden for metal detecting.

There were an enormous amount of Pilgrims badges and other objects recovered from the village. In fact the majority of Pilgrim badges ever found in Holland came from Nieuwlande where for example during an archaeological dig in 1987 a stupendous total of 600 were found! Officially in 1993 there had been 1036 badges (many erotic) found, but of course there were many many more found at other times with metal detectors but not reported, before it was forbidden. During low tide still some structures can be seen in the North Sea.

Not only Nieuwlande but about 14 neighbor villages were sunk and abandoned during those storms, here is a drawing showing a neighbor village during that period. In total more than 100 villages were lost over the years to the sea.

Attachments

• Tin cover from Beuningen.jpg
    Tin cover from Beuningen.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,491
  • reimerswaal.jpg
    reimerswaal.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,508

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

That is a nice find. Do you know if there was a specific use for these tins?

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

what an interesting artifact!

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lucky1777 said:
That is a nice find. Do you know if there was a specific use for these tins?
Well its for sure a lid to a box, or that is what the knowing people think. The other lid (not found by me) has a part of the hinge on it. It would have been a small box, not larger than the lid which is 2 3/4" long. Nowadays we would or could I guess what could be kept in it, due to the cover. But back then? Maybe its just a lid to some sort of jewel case. If I do find out I will answer this post! Thanks for the question.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon said:
Another translation calls the pic a "bad scene" being watched from behind the curtains.
I myself thought it was some one waiting for his turn...

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

woody50 said:
Mackaydon said:
Another translation calls the pic a "bad scene" being watched from behind the curtains.

hey woody, i wonder if they took turns using what was in the box :o
maybe this man was just sneeking a peek because as plebah said he is "showing his junk" :D :D and he hasn't even taken his hat off!

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shaun7 said:
woody50 said:
Mackaydon said:
maybe this man was just sneeking a peek because as plebah said he is "showing his junk" :D :D and he hasn't even taken his hat off!
I guess the clue is to find out what is his reason for being there. I mean he is dressed pretty wierd for just a guy waiting, and the funny hat. I am hoping that someone knows what that outfit was for back then...

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

woody50 said:
shaun7 said:
woody50 said:
Mackaydon said:
I guess the clue is to find out what is his reason for being there. I mean he is dressed pretty wierd for just a guy waiting, and the funny hat. I am hoping that someone knows what that outfit was for back then...

Not to mention the fact that he has long pointy ears. I think he is just an imp, elf or troll who is getting his jollies by watching the fornication in the tent...

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1 said:
woody50 said:
shaun7 said:
woody50 said:
Mackaydon said:
Not to mention the fact that he has long pointy ears. I think he is just an imp, elf or troll who is getting his jollies by watching the fornication in the tent...
Romo, since its been some time since I read/watched/played with imps, elfs, or any trolls I looked them up to see which came closest.....

An elf is a creature of Germanic mythology. The elves were originally thought of as a race of minor nature and fertility gods, who are often pictured as
youthful-seeming men and women of great beauty living in forests and underground places and caves, or in wells and springs.

An imp is a mythological being similar to a fairy or demon, frequently described in folklore and superstition. The word derives from the term ympe, used to denote a young grafted tree. Imps are usually described as mischievous more than seriously threatening, and as lesser beings rather than more important supernatural beings. The attendants of the devil are sometimes described as imps. They are usually described as lively and having small stature.

A troll is a fearsome member of a race of creatures from Norse mythology. Originally more or less the Nordic equivalents of giants, although often smaller in size, the different depictions have come to range from the fiendish giants

Also found some nice icons of them. Looking at their description an Elf seems to meet the image on the cover. So I will go with an Elf, although sometimes if I look at the figure it looks quite a bit like Shaun7 or Cru... hmmmm

What do you think?

Attachments

• elf.jpg
    elf.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,283
  • Imp.jpg
    Imp.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2,411
  • troll_resize.jpg
    troll_resize.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,358

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote Imp...an elf, being a creature of great beauty would not need to satisfy himself in such a way...

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
I vote Imp...an elf, being a creature of great beauty would not need to satisfy himself in such a way...
Yea great, that's what I thought. But looking at the top and then the elf, pointed hat, big pointed ears.... Yea... I don't know then.
I could not find any Imp with pointed hats or even pointed ears, but several elfs... hmmm...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its an Elf, then Mrs Elf was very happy as she would only be 4 inches tall. :D

Its a medieval condom tin lid. They were re-useable in those days & needed to be housed somewhere.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
While there is evidence that condoms were used by both the Romans and Egyptians, they were not officially invented until the 16th century by Italian surgeon, Gabriele Fallopio.

The following century Count Condom, the personal physician of King Charles II of England, perfected Fallopio's preservative using stretched pork intestine lubricated with oil.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy Heart said:
While there is evidence that condoms were used by both the Romans and Egyptians, they were not officially invented until the 16th century by Italian surgeon, Gabriele Fallopio.

The following century Count Condom, the personal physician of King Charles II of England, perfected Fallopio's preservative using stretched pork intestine lubricated with oil.

it was a joke.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Gypsy Heart said:
it was a joke.
Yes I though so, I don't think the churches back then would be so happy with such an invention,
they would ban it and cut it off if you used one I guess (not the condom).

OK, we are back to ground zero. Any ideas what could be imaginably in such a box with such a cover.

PLEASE think! and post of course!

Or maybe an other idea that its not a box, for instance maybe a key hole cover (for you know what)...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woody50 said:
CRUSADER said:
Gypsy Heart said:
it was a joke.
Yes I though so, I don't think the churches back then would be so happy with such an invention,

OK, we are back to ground zero. Any ideas what could be imaginably in such a box with such a cover.

Or maybe an other idea that its not a box, for instance maybe a key hole cover (for you know what)...

well before you said tin cover, I would have IDed it as a strapend to a leather belt. I have seen similar.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
woody50 said:
CRUSADER said:
Gypsy Heart said:
it was a joke.

well before you said tin cover, I would have IDed it as a strapend to a leather belt. I have seen similar.
That could be an idea, but this is just too fragile for that. And no marks on the back side for attachments
or so. I am waiting for H.J.E. van Beuningen to come through with information, he has after all the OTHER
one in his collection and has all the contacts with Museums and such, his family even owns a very large one in
Rotterdam. His collection is the largest and most representative collection of late medieval badges in the world.

He visited me a few years ago to take some photos, but my collection has expanded since them. So he asked
me to send photos, it amounted to 72 photos (33mb), so he needs the time to sort through them.

Link to his site http://www.medievalbadges.org select english

His family's Museum http://www.boijmans.nl/en/

Thanks for your opinion Cru, I respect it and will add it to my list...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread