Civil War Pistol Frame

Helo

Jun 18, 2007
S.La.
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Whites M6 ,Whites Eagle II,Fisher 1270, Tesoro Conq. Umax w/manual G/B ,Discovery 3300
. I was hunting in a park that was once a plantation . I have dug old farm tools , parts of wood burning stoves and the typical iron infested site stuff there before. This morning I thought I would swing the EX II there to see what I might stumble upon. After about 20 minutes of digging a few pieces of junk, a brass whatsit and a few pennies, I get a deep warbly high tone at the bottom of the depth meter. I was running wide open IM and auto 25 at the time, with the stock coil. After digging a good 6" plug ,I wave the X1 probe in the hole and it sings like a canary. I dig a few more inches out with my digging tool and I see green metal, I figured it was another piece of old brass so I pried it out of the hole, and was surprised to find myself holding what I immediately knew was a real old gun, and not just another toy. The weight and the rusted metal parts and what looked like a "crack barrel design" convinced me I had finally found an old gun, something I always wanted to find.After looking through some books for comparison, I am pretty sure its a Smith and Wesson # 1. Second Issue 22 Short cal. revolver , used by the union army during the Civil War..The added pic is from "The Civil War Catalog" book page246.
I scanned the hole with the X1 but it didn't hit again, I know this land was bulldozed at one time so the barrel is probably rusted away or lost forever, .. Thanks for looking..HH.. Helo aka..LaDigger

Attachments

• SW !.jpg
    SW !.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 722
  • SW2.JPG
    SW2.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 704
  • SW3.JPG
    SW3.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 710
  • SW GUN BOOK.jpg
    SW GUN BOOK.jpg