Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
This year turned out to be the best year of metal detecting for me, with a little help from an amazing machine called the White's DFX. This made a huge difference in both the quantity and the quality of what I found.

I first started using the DFX in late March of 2008. At once I knew this was no ordinary machine. My first outing produced a Mercury Dime and a silver "Rosie" Dime, but this was only the beginning.

In early April, I returned to a field that had previously produced a few 18th and 19th century buttons, but no old coins. On this warm April day, I found more than 10 metal buttons, including a late 19th century "Dandy" button. The real find of the day, however, came when I got a nice penny signal at a depth of two inches. When I removed the coin from the plug, I knew I had found something special. It was too caked with mud to identify on the spot, but it was bigger than a nickel and smaller than a quarter. I knew I had found my first two cent piece, or my first half cent. Either would have made me happy, and as it turns out it was the latter, an 1809 Half Cent!

I returned to the site in late May, finding coins spanning five centuries; two modern coins dated 2001 and 1996, an 1836 "Booby Head" Large Cent, a 1787 Connecticut Copper and a 1699 William III Halfpenny!

Earlier in May, My detecting buddy Dale and I had the opportunity to detect in a spot that I had detected a few years back. At that prior time I found a few nice Indian Head Pennies. This time I hit big with my first Draped Bust Large Cent, an 1801. This "minor rarity" is variety Sheldon - 221, a die error with "1" over "0" in the fraction. I found a few buttons and a pocket watch very close by. The specific spot was quite remote, and I wonder if some weary traveler laid down his cloak, never to return, or perhaps he passed away with only the metal of his belongings surviving for 200 years in the woods.

As the hot weather approached, my detecting season winded down. It was not worth the potential for tick bites, mosquito bites, chiggar bites, snake bites or worse, not to mention poison ivy and thorny underbrush, the risk of heat stroke and who knows what else. I did, however, get in a little detecting time. There were some cool days in July, and I took advantage of the situation, digging a beauty of an Indian Head, dated 1875. This "semi key date" Indian Head looks as if it was dropped on the trip home from the mint! Nearby were some outstanding Scovill military buttons. Definitely worth the risks of summer detecting!

The Fall produced some of my best finds to date. I returned to the site of an old tavern. The tavern was built sometime around the 1780's and burnt down in 1859. All that remains is a slight depression in the ground with scattered bricks. A few years back I found my first Large Cent at this spot. The 1836 "Matron Head" still remains one of my best finds. On this outing, I dug a beauty of a copper, a non-regal King George III Halfpenny, dated 1773, and a circa 1860 suspender buckle which features the symbols of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

I returned again to this same spot in November and dug my first Flying Eagle Cent, this one dated 1857. These coins are an uncommon find for a few reasons. They were only placed into circulation for two years (1857 & 1858). They are also a lower conductivity coin, which means the metal detector interprets the signal to be a common soda can pull tab. I knew this signal was too deep to pass up, and I am glad I trusted my instincts.

There were many other terrific finds in 2008 including plenty of silver dimes and Indian Head Cents. I also found more than 50 buttons, most dated 1770-1850. I can only hope that the new year brings new metal detecting opportunities.

Happy Holidays and thank you for looking.

Neil

Attachments

• 1801O.jpg
    1801O.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_1926a.JPG
    IMG_1926a.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG_1920a.JPG
    IMG_1920a.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 710
Upvote 0
OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
IOOF

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 735
  • 2008_0727Image0023.JPG
    2008_0727Image0023.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 708
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 726

rocko dogg

Dec 22, 2008
marion nc
Detector(s) used
6000di pro sl and xlt
neil what kind of detector did you own before the dfx im thinking of up grading to one your finds were great

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been my best year to, although not quite done yet. The 1773 is a cracking looking coin :thumbsup:

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
rocko dogg said:
neil what kind of detector did you own before the dfx im thinking of up grading to one your finds were great

Rocko,

I owned a Garrett CXIII , and an ACE 250. I found many buttons and coins with the DFX that were out of range with the other detectors.

S

seger98

What do you think that last thing is that you have posted? Looks like hands, an eye & some kind of animal on it!

Chris

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
seger98 said:
What do you think that last thing is that you have posted? Looks like hands, an eye & some kind of animal on it!

Chris

It is a suspender buckle showing the symbols of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, showing the all seeing eye, three links, crossed daggers, and handshake. I have not found the signigcance of the keys and the fox. It may have been the symbols of a local order of the IOOF. This buckle design was patented in 1850, as you can see by the image. Thanks to Don of SJ for the patent info!

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 711

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya dun Good! Excellent year of hunting, you'll have many more. Now, if it would only thaw out here in Denver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions