Old California Gold

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
This is by far my best find ever, and it occured several years back while showing my 6 year old son how the metal detector works.

We were in the yard of a house built in the 1950's or 60's in an area of San Rafael California called Santa Venetia. Santa Venetia was envisioned in the early 1900's as a little Venice so canalas were built and houses and structures built along them. It was a vacation spot for the wealthy for a brief period of time -- around the 1920's. The plan of building a little Venice was abandoned. In the 1960's, houses were built along North San Pedro Road.

After spending an afternoon digging newer coins in the 2 to 3 inch range, I got a solid penny/dime reading at 7 inches. I was excited, and hoped for a Mercury Head dime. After digging a deep plug and rechecking the hole, the reading changed to Dollar. In my experience, anytime this happens, it is a piece of scrap metal or crushed can or something, so my excitement passed and I dug out another scoop of wet dirt (the ground was wet from recent rains). I ran the wad of mud I was holding over the coil, and got a loud blast. As I began to pull the mud apart, I saw the reeded edge of a coin, and it was bright gold. My heart stopped, as I knew instantly I was holding a gold coin. I washed it off in a big puddle of water, and was holding a $10 gold coin in extremely nice condition.

Now for the bad news. When I dug out this final plug of dirt, I was somewhat sloppy with my digging tool because I was sure it was scrap metal, and I put a couple of nicks in the coin edge.

Attachments

• Coin.jpg
    Coin.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 5,483
Upvote 2

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
She's a beauty even with the scratches. That always happens. As soon as you get lazy you hit a good coin and end up with a ding or scratch.

It happens that way. You make a great find when you least expect it.

HH Jeremy

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a gorgeous coin, t4m. It must have been so exciting for you. You still remember all the details....and it happened a few years ago.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Great find and story! Too bad about the dings on the edge, but i don't think they grade the edge of the coin ::) :D Pretty old coin for a newer area.

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
according to PCGS grading..your coin..if AU60 is worth $7800.00.? Might wanna get it professionally appraised....
WTG !!!

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
sweet find..if you found that at a house that was built in the 50s or 60s you might want to go back to it.. could be a part of a very nice cache..if you have too buy the bigest coil you can get it may be well worth it..

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Sorry to post on this again, but I just have to pull up this post every so often to gaze at this magnificent coin. I have no clue what I would do if I ever dug up gold. Probably go into convulsions! :o

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW. What a feeling that must be!! That's a keeper!!! ;D

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
What a fantastic gold coin. I always worry about scratching coins so thats why I'm buying a pinpointer.

Again, fantastic job.

GL & HH,

Dugholes

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
How did this post sneak by me for so long ???
Totally awesome find, Congrats!!!
Good luck & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Thanks everyone for your comments on my gold coin. It definitely was the high point of all my countless hours of detecting. I just wish it could have been at an old foundation out in the woods or something. To find it right in my own mother's back yard of a house that was built in the 1950's was pretty strange.

I sure wish Rockyredbaron was right, and that it was worth several thousands of dollars, but I don't believe the 1886 s is a key date. My outdated 1995 Red Book of US coins puts it at $250 or so, which is what I saw one in very similar condition up for sale for on ebay at the time I found this coin.

I just did another search on ebay, and there is one in MS64 condition for sale for $750.

Oh well, I have no intention of selling it anyway, as it has too much sentimental value to me as my best find ever!

Jim

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now how awesome is that!!!! WoW!!!!! What a find!!!!!

Congrats on that find!!!!

Nana ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread