1877 IH Story............

TominCincy

Dec 26, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3, Shadow X5, Explorer SE, Garret Infinium

Well back in 2001 when I bought my first metal detector, a Whites XLT. I knew nothing about this wonderful hobby. I read the manual and went out hunting for the big treasures the manual said I will find. I practiced in my yard for awhile, and found some clad. Well this got me excited. But I wanted to find some old coins. In the mean time I rand across a metal detecting club in my area, and went to some meetings. They told me about something called research. Well I had moved to a new house north of Cincinnati Ohio, and everyday I went to work I passed this old abandoned farm, with nice old house, a huge barn, and a 2 seated privy. I got permission to hunt and for three months I hunted this site and only found some clad. This was because of my inexperience with the XLT metal detector. Well one day in late March I was hunting after work I got a nice signal about 6 inches down, kind of under some flat stones they used to put down to walk on. I dug, and dug, and was not finding anything. I though this might be one of these signals like hot rocks they told me about in one of my metal detecting meetings. Off to the side of the hole I saw something green. I picked it up and it had a picture of an Indian on it, and said one cent on the back. The dated was 1877 and I was excited. This was my first old coin I had found after hunting for 4 months. I was dancing around screaming, and was glad no one was around. I had to share this find, so I ran home right away and showed this to my wife. She was excited also. I ran some water over it to clean it up some. It looked great, unlike some of the coins I found in the ground, except it was green. I got on the forum and showed them a pic of the coin and asked what is this. They wrote back and said do not touch the coin it is a valuable coin put it in a coin holder. I took the coin to my club meeting and they all were excited about the fact that this was my first old coin find and it was a rare date and valuable coin. They said a lot of people do not find nice coins like this in there life time, much less being my firs old find.

Attachments

• IH.jpg
    IH.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 694
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Wow, ABSOLUTLY an awesome find! Welcome to T-net. that looks like a $2000.00 coin to me! Congratulations!

Chris

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Awesome find. And do not clean the coin. Be sure to store it in mylar flip. With full LIBERTY, it would grade a minimum of Very Fine. You found the key date to the series (except of course the 1909S). It is valued at $2000 in very fine condition. There was only 852,500 minted in 1877.

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Beautiful coin! You got a lot to be proud of there! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
TominCincy

TominCincy

Dec 26, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3, Shadow X5, Explorer SE, Garret Infinium
More info on 1877IH

I sent the coin to ANACS grading service. The coin dealer said they are the only one that will grade a corroded coin. The coin came back graded EF-40 Corroded. I do not know what the value of the coin would be. The book says around $2,000 dollars. But would someone pay that much for a green coin. The coin looks better then the picture, you can see the initials in the ribbons, and full liberty. Looks like it was new and just dropped. I have been offered more for the coin after some people looked at. The coin is in a safety deposit box at my local bank.

Attachments

• gradeih.jpg
    gradeih.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 637

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
WOW! :o That is an awesome coin! To this day, I still have not been able to find an Indian Head penny. Congratulations! :) I only find wheats and 1 or 2 silver coins along the way. Love the Indian head! Hope to see you more often on this forum!!! :blob8: :wav:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Re: More info on 1877IH

TominCincy said:
I sent the coin to ANACS grading service. The coin dealer said they are the only one that will grade a corroded coin. The coin came back graded EF-40 Corroded. I do not know what the value of the coin would be. The book says around $2,000 dollars. But would someone pay that much for a green coin. The coin looks better then the picture, you can see the initials in the ribbons, and full liberty. Looks like it was new and just dropped. I have been offered more for the coin after some people looked at. The coin is in a safety deposit box at my local bank.

Yes, people will pay that much for a green coin in a heartbeat. Your best bet is to keep it in your family. Pass it on to your children or relatives. In 50 years, it will be worth ridiculous money. Remember, it was only "found" money. Don't be tempted to cash in now.

JP66

Nov 29, 2007
Belmont County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Awesome find :thumbsup:
I'm like you. I have the same detector & all I've found is some silver but mostly clad.
Persistence pays off right? Ohio has some great locations for hunting.
Congrats!!!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats what I would say, keep it!! In time it will only get more valuable. Hopefully you are not desperate for money. That would be a nice coin to pass on to your kids :icon_sunny:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why sell & p+ss it up the wall. Better to keep it & use it as a talking point, much better to show people THE coin than the story of the $2000 spending spree you went on...

Funny how some have all the luck....... :wink:

digman

Jul 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
L-Rods & MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is brilliant, believe me, looks and for sure is fantastic.
A nice idea is to frame it and exhibit on your wall, so everyone can admire it.
well, that's what I would do !!!

All the best, Digman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions