My best find ever

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
I had it originally posted under estate sale find but did have pics until there was like 17 responses so heres the first post with pics What do you think???

About 2 years ago my father in law and I went to an estate sale.We found some stuff when we were in the basement he reached under a work bench and pulled out a small percussion pistol.We put it in the box and paid $5 for the box of stuff.When we got home we split the stuff up and he told me to hold onto it because I collect military items,It sat in a trunk I had for a year or so....the other day I went to a gun show in my area so I decided to take it.I went to a table where a guy had similar age guns replicas knives long guns etc...He said "What you have there?" I unzipped the case and watched his face To see if he gives a sign...( I don't like to be swindled) He licked his lips.I didn't even have to hand it to him and he asked if I wanted to trade.That was a tell right there.The guns in the case were price over $400.I told him no thanks I want to do more research.10 min later he taps me on the shoulder"Come back to my table I found it in the book" He showed it to me.It is an NP AMES model 1842 percussion pistol.It is in good conditon,I can give you $400 right now or some more if you trade.He then showed me the gun in good cond. is valued at $700!! I said no thanks I think I'll hang on to it!
I showed it to another guy he called 2 friends over the huddled up and were shaking their heads and buzzing.He came back and said yep Its authentic I wish i could buy it from you for $400...He said put some oil on it to stop the rust and hang onto it this retails for over $800!! Do not sell this!!
I know this story is so long but boy am I happy!! I did some research It says only 2000 were made and also it is a war relic and should be treated with respect.Can any one out there in treasure net land lend me some advice or have some more info for me...The internet didnt turn up as much as I expected.I'm sure theres many knowledgable people here. Please post or PM me I will also try to put up some pics soon.Any one with some knowledge on preserving it would be great.I dont want to be the guy who ruins a relic by cleaning it!!!!! Ther is some surface rust not pitting though and the wood is well worn.The guys at the show said use some oil or kroil and some fine brass wool to get rust off. Any help will be awesome.This is truly a find of a lifetime!!!!!!!!!!!
Gerald

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,847
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,849
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,843
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,857
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,855
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,840
Upvote 0

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet find, congrat's. :o

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
How cool is that! That's just beautiful.

You might try calling a museum and ask if they have some suggestions for you. Some museums are tickled to help and some aren't. Just a thought is all.

That is just awesome!

HH
Nn

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Firstly, very very nice find.

My suggestion would be to take it to a reputable gunsmith. I am sure he would have some ideas on the restoring side of things. On the comment above about the museum that is possibnly a good idea. I know down my way you can LOAN things to the museum and they will display for all to see. The LOAN means when or if you decide to have a display case of maybe a cival war relics or a gun collection you are able to take it back. Would be nice to let the people see it tho if you are gonna do nothing more than have it in a trunk

regards Sasnz

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need any further information regarding the pistol or preservation tips try the forums at gunbroker.com. I would suggest the general discussion forum or ask the experts forum. They have many informative members there, kinda like this site as I'm learning.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
If you need any further information regarding the pistol or preservation tips try the forums at gunbroker.com. I would suggest the general discussion forum or ask the experts forum. They have many informative members there, kinda like this site as I'm learning.
Hi, don't want to preach but.....

I don't know anything about guns, but with ALL old objects, even though with rust or gunk on them, DON'T clean it anymore than just water or lightly wiping yourself, UNTIL you know WHAT it is and what its WORTH. If it worth something, that something will greatly diminish if you clean it. It will on the other hand increase if you just protect it and leave it alone. All great collectors want original objects, not something that has been messed around with. ANY Items.

Of course it is different if you plan to keep it yourself. Cleaning it will reduce its worth, but you will not notice that until you sell it or your beneficiaries do. Just keep it in your display unit then in this condition. You maybe could oil the rust spots (with an acid free oil), but without moisture inside a case it will not rust anymore, or very very little. I would not do anything.

Two Many's

- Many amateurs cleaning stuff just mess it up, use the wrong stuff, apply it wrong and really just ruin thing. About this gun, IT IS NOT a new gun, so DON'T go messing around with it with modern methods. FIND a professional at a museum, that is the only way!

- Many collectors pay 2 to 100 times or more for something that has NOT BEEN restored or CLEANED. They buy something and take it to professionals who use the correct methods to conserve the item. DO NOT CLEAN is the motto. They don't want a restored item, they want to do that themselves.

If you don't believe me look at a lot of auction places, good ones. You will for instance see a nice Roman coin which was cleaned for 50 euros, and the same coin for 5000 euros further along because IT has NOT been cleaned.

So know what you are doing BEFORE you do it, Please!

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there I found a JAMES REID, KNUCKLE DUSTER REVOLVER, it's called that because they used them as a brass knuckle for fighting as well. It had some very nice detail engraving on it, it was dated 1865 with a very low serial #. (To my point) I cleaned it up, and after I was done; It "littererly" looked like crap. I basically ruined the revolver. Becareful what you do. I learned a very hard lesson. You can google this revolver and get an idea of what they look like. Nice find.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woody50 - Agree with you 100%. The guys at the forum I offered would also agree and would give sound advice on the rarity of this item and perhaps leads as to proper preservation based on rarity and value. Nothing makes me cringe more than the posts I read, "I was so excited about my find that I just rubbed the dirt off to read the date etc". Those posts often inclue pictures that show the reults.

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
Nice looking pistol. The poster that referenced Gunbroker is correct. There are some very knowledgeable folks over there. Your pistol is a US Model 1842 Navy. There were 2,000 of them made between 1842-1847. Close up photos of the lockplate markings will help in further identification. Also, closeups of the other markings would help also. There should be markings on the barrel, and on the wood opposite from the lock.

This pistol would benefit from a professional, and if you are interested, I know a pretty good one that I can recommend, but he isn't cheap. If you are going to try it yourself, here is a very good reference for the care of historic firearms.

http://www.nps.gov/spar/historyculture/guncare.htm

minetres

Mar 13, 2008
gtlfindings,

You have a very nice pistol there. I used to be a gun collector and any cleaning you do to this piece will ruin its value. a little gun oil rubbed on the gun will prevent any more rust and a good wipe down is all I would do. There may only be a few of these left so take care of it. Stop by a Gun store see if they will look up the value in the blue book of Guns 2008 issue to see the value, you can also write the NRA and they can also tell you a lot. I would give you $800.00 in a heart beat if I had that much money to spare.

Minetres

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet little pistol....Matt

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Wow Wow! This most certainly qualifies as a Best Find.

That's a great weapon. :thumbsup:

-Buckles

steif

Mar 2, 2007
Find out a little info here:... http://www.armscollectors.com/mgs/boxlocks.htm
Nice piece, I would just use a soft cloth and oil and just keep the rust down, do not use the brass wool or anything else, when the rust scales come off it will make a "bright" spot where the old rust was.. I think in my opinion that just wiping it down with oil is all that should be done. I use break free or a oil called ballistol, but plain oil like 3 in 1 will work great as well. I steer clear of wd-40 because it evaporates and therefore does no good, pb blaster or other penetrating oil might get the rust scale off and then it will look terrible.

I would say a good honest Retail price for that pistol will be in the $800-900 range, in that condition.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Any gunstore should have cleaning supplies like gunoil(Hoppes) and cloths. I would coat the pistol in oil and hand rub it with a soft gun cloth until it was thouroghly covered than set it on a shelf in the safe.

P

pippinwhitepaws

i use gun cotton on any metal object i want to preserve, and restore...

local auto parts store, polishing compounds, "never dull"

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
pippinwhitepaws said:
i use gun cotton on any metal object i want to preserve, and restore...

local auto parts store, polishing compounds, "never dull"

I'm not trying to bust your chops, but 'gun cotton' is an explosive. I'm guessing you meant something else.

Also, the NEVR-DULL is great if you want to polish something, and that is something you absolutely do NOT do to an antique gun. Much of the value in such pieces is in the patina they attain after many years. Also, at this time, the shown gun has some of the original finish left. Hit it with polishing compounds, and it will have none of the original finish left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread