Even the best LCs can’t hold a shine next to GW buttons.

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DSC_0118.jpg

Over the years, my copper take from detecting the Pine Barrens (NJ) is pretty impressive. I’m approaching 200 large cents (LCs), with easily 90 percent of those from the Federal Period (1776 to 1830). I have dug 11 U.S. mintage LCs, dating before 1800, with two 1794 specimens -- including one of a brick red color and in super shape. (I purposely do not grade dug coins.) I have three dozen Colonial coins, including a couple incredible New Jersey “Nova” cents.

All of my LCs (and my 34 half-cents) have come out in astounding condition, due in large part to an electrolytic relationship between the coin’s copper and iron deposits in the South Jersey sandy soil. It also helps that I have technical training in coin restoration, having done such time consuming work for museums.

Despite my stellar copper coin collection, where I’ve shined is in the under appreciated buttonshooting realm.

Buttons have long been the bane of many coinshooters. I can’t count the number of times I’ve dug out a button that read like a coin -- and, in its fresh-dug state, even looked like one. I have even, in the distant past, been known to angrily let fly a coin-feigning button

Then, a funny thing happened during a trip to a coin shop, circa 1985. The owner, who I knew fairly well, happened to glance one of two “Long Live the President” vest buttons I had dug that year. I knew these Washington Inaugural buttons were rare but, hey, they were still only buttons, right? I was a coinshooter, hardcore.

I should note that this coin dealer was famed for downplaying anything and everything he saw. He was a master of the famed dealer’s ploy: “It’s a piece of junk. I’ll give ya five bucks for it” -- as he looked at an EF 1794 U.S. large cent.

I was floored when Mr. Cheapo instantly and unabashedly offered me $500 for both buttons -- then quickly moved to $500 each. That offer meant there wasn’t a prayer I’d be selling them to him. The more he wanted them, the less chance of me parting with them. And it instantaneously got me researching not only those insanely historic buttons but antique buttons in general.

What has become astoundingly clear in recent years is the dizzying value of many historic buttons, especially military and political. There are now dug Washington Inaugural buttons easily realizing well over $5,000. (I know this for a fact)

On that theme, and curving back to TH’ing the hear-and-now, I recently found my fourth Washington Inaugural button, one in absolutely stunning condition. The large cent–sized button (ironic, eh?) had over 70 percent of its original silver plate on the obverse, where the eagle resided. It’s uncanny that a button that old, buried that long, held onto so much of its original luster. Technically, it was one of those cases of which side the button falls. As proof, the button’s reverse is typically environmentally ravaged, with (again, typically) a missing omega ring. Obviously, the face side fell downward and caustic agents in the soil never curved under to attack the button’s good side, as it were.

I relate both the large cents and the buttons here since, as much as I love my LCs, none of those coins come close to matching some of the offers I’ve had for my Washington buttons -- including this most recent one, which has garnered near-absurd offers I won’t even jot down here. Hey, IRS folks might also be TH’ers.

large1810.JPG
obverse.JPG

Upvote 0

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All I can say is "WOW"! Great story, pictures, buttons, and coins. Welcome to TreasureNet!! :thumbsup:

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome button,I cant wait to I find my first GW button. I would love to see some more pics of the large cents. Sounds like you have some good hunting ground keep up the great work and again some more pics please. HH!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet!

:thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing more outstanding posts from you.

-BuckleBoy

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing...that is the best condition GW button I have ever seen! We need more posters like you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread