A find with a fright attached

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After over 40 years of treasure digging, driven by a certainty that a find-of-finds is just another scratch away, I’ve dug with a minor phobia hanging within easy reach of my overactive imagination: What if I were to dig up a human skeleton? Just my luck I might uncover a huge gold ring – with a finger bone still attached.

Truth be told, I kinda realize there isn’t a ghost of chance such a thing will ever befall me. However, I came too close for comfort this past year.

I was digging a newer dump site, fairly deep in some thicker woods. All the site offered of Th’ing interest was a slew of older milk and cream bottles (Millside Dairy, N.J.). I slipped the bottles in my ever-present backpack and was about to leave the site when a final rake-through uncovered what first looked to be one of those brass reed plates from a harmonica. Those reed plates are one of the most common large items found by detectorists.

It wasn’t until I flicked the piece with my rake that the horror set in. The thing still had teeth attached to it. For a dizzying instant, I was frozen in place. It sure seemed my long-lived phobia just came to morbid fruition. In this case, I had seemingly found a mouthorgan with the mouth still in place. Dial 9-11!

Fortunately, I allowed logic to carry the moment.

Using what amounted to a goodly amount of internal fortitude, I further flicked the toothy find and pretty quickly guessed what I had unearthed – and even that didn’t even remotely detract from the weirdness.

Here, check it out and imagine some dirt on it as it jumps into sight -- and tell me you wouldn’t get a few heart pounds.

teeth.JPG

It’s a shade tester for a dentist. When replacing a person’s tooth, he pulls out one of these color-graded false teeth to hold in place with the patient’s existing teeth to match the color. Again, you see it a bit cleaned up but when I first dug it …

Upvote 0

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
That is without a doubt the absolute coolest and at the same time most disgusting looking thing I have ever seen on this site! I wish it was me that found it...LOL

HH Charlie

S

seger98

I could see where that would get the heart pumping! What a wierd find! :thumbsup:

Chris

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
That thing is....um....uh.....that thing is awesomely cool! My wife would take a broom to my head if I brought one of those things in :tard: :D ;D

zztop357

Jun 9, 2007
I would have covered it back up I think........either that or had a panic attack!!!!
HH, zztop

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's incredible.

What I wanna know is... how the heck did you know what it was? 8)

OP
OP
tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I figured it out what this was fairly quickly because only weeks earlier I had to have a new bridge put in by my dentist -- lost some teeth surfing in Hawaii many years back. He used a remotely similar shade tester.

Also, upon clean-up, I noticed each tooth came out of the holder, attached to a strip of brass. Obviously, the false teeth were meant to be held separately, i.e. up against a denture recipient's teeth.

I've been meaning to go back and look for the missing teeth from this piece. And, yes, I'm curious as to whether someone on eBay would give their back teeth to own this.

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those teeth to the right on the tester are certainly a shade I wouldn't want to have my teeth matched to.

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like your story has some "teeth" in it. (lol)

Weird find.

wirebender

Sep 11, 2007
California
Nice shade guide find!!! Looks like there are porcelain teeth on it. All of my shade guides have plastic/resin teeth on them now. that's a nifty find. as for your ebay question, I don't think it would fetch a lot due to the condition, as I have seen premier examples of early shade guides in dental museums, collections, etc. if you want to get rid of it, I suggest looking for a dental history collector, etc on the net or a dental museum. Good luck!!!

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
That was a great story and an unusual find. The way you told it had me freaking. It also reminded me of the time I dug up this medium size metal box. Boy, was my adrenalin pumping. But that story also had an unusual twist to it and I don't have time to go into and am not even sure I should. It might offend some. Let me think about it first.
Your story was great!
John from NY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread