Freakiest Lady Liberty (cleaning note added, Post 18)

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently began cataloguing my large cent, some 200 of them and made an amazing find within a find.
Having never been much on foreign colonial coins, I had not cleaned up past finds that were British in origin. To make a proper account of the LCs I’ve found over the years, I decided to restore my forsaken foreigners, mainly the ones not actually corroded; coins that are caked in dirt but don’t have the coin surface compromised.
As I’ve noted in recent posts, we have very forgiving ground here in Southern New Jersey, where an electrolytic relationship between copper coins and naturally occurring iron in the soil often protects the coin better than most places in the country. I bring that up as a segue into an outstanding oddity I found upon a British “Britannia” large cent specimen. The full impact of the find is enhanced by the decent condition of the coin.
As I began restoring it, I went to the obverse side, where the famed seated Goddess of Liberty reigns, above the date. I first Q-tipped (special chemicals in the cotton) the date. I saw it was a very common 1775, so I sped up, abandoning some of the meticulous care I usually use when properly restoring a coin – without cleaning it. Yes, there is a huge difference. Cleaning a coin is the kiss of value death.
It was at the top of the large cent coin, head level, that I noticed something super weird. Lady liberty had a well-marked arm coming out of her head. That didn’t seem quite anatomically correct – even for a lithe goddess. This was a big error. So big, I even imagined some sort of symbolic meaning being forwarded by the original minters. Fat chance. What was being said by those England coin-makers was “We’re sending these coins to the colonies. We don’t care if they’re total crap.”
After my arm-headed discovery, I then carefully restored the entire obverse. Not only did I have a coin with a freaky lady but also a double date that had so much separation between the two dates they need long-distance service just to talk to each other. Check it out:

DSC_0047 (2).JPG

Obverse also has some weird errors -- as the king's number is up (his nose).
DSC_0053 (2).JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say that 60 percent of my coppers come out in remarkable condition in terms of environmental damage, i.e. corrosion is minimal to moderate. Yes, in my case it is often dirt that comes off the coins during restoration, often exposing only marginally affected patina. Of course, if the coin was lost in lousy shape even a low corrosion factor won't improve it. Most of all, there is no salvaging coins from soils that attack. I have seen numerous coins pictured on this site that show uniform deep pitting NOT the result of poor "cleaning" but due to irreparable environmental damage.

As for offering cleaning tips, I'll gladly let existing posts carry the day. Many of the methods I use, particularly the use of hot oils and caustic chemicals, are spooky even when I use them.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tigerbeetle said:
I would say that 60 percent of my coppers come out in remarkable condition in terms of environmental damage, i.e. corrosion is minimal to moderate. Yes, in my case it is often dirt that comes off the coins during restoration, often exposing only marginally affected patina. Of course, if the coin was lost in lousy shape even a low corrosion factor won't improve it. Most of all, there is no salvaging coins from soils that attack. I have seen numerous coins pictured on this site that show uniform deep pitting NOT the result of poor "cleaning" but due to irreparable environmental damage.

As for offering cleaning tips, I'll gladly let existing posts carry the day. Many of the methods I use, particularly the use of hot oils and caustic chemicals, are spooky even when I use them.

I was looking forward to seeing your Top Secret Method of Boiling Olive Oil, Voodoo, and Lye. :D

OP
OP
tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Olive oil is one of the finest copper cleaning substances known -- I kid you not.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely double struck on both sides. you can see quite a few anomalies on the obverse side, some of which i circled in this pic.

Attachments

• DSC_0053_(2).JPG
    DSC_0053_(2).JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 663

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread