It was quite awhile ago but my best find metal detecting was..................

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
Hi! I'm new here and just wanted to say "hello". Although it wasn't recently, it was back in 1986 that I made my best find. I haven't been out detecting for about 14 years. I just recently took my detector out of mothballs to get it together to start again with this fantastic hobby. I now live in Hyde Park and need something to do with my time. If anyone knows anything concerning rules in this area and good places to go, please let me know. Spots have to be nearby - I don't currently have a car and just when gas prices have dropped, the last time I bought gas it was $4.39.

My best find was a RARE 1921 Standing Liberty Quarter in AU condition. I, like a fool, sold it for $150. I wish I had it today. By the way, it was one inch down in the ground. And I found it in an area that I thought I had gone over very thoroughly. As I was leaving, swinging my coil wildly, I heard this beep. I went over the ground and it kept on coming up a quarter. I didn't understand because I had meticulously did the area before. Detector said 25 cents at 1 inch. I didn't believe it. Why wasn't it there before? I dug it up and it looked like the person dropped it right after getting from the bank (in 1921). Beautiful coin! I don't think I have a picture (I had a fire 8+ years ago and lost alot of stuff.) But if I do, it may be up on the internet - I have to check, I'll post it. What a coin!
That was my best. I hope that they'll be others that come up to that or maybe even surpass it.

Wishing everyone great hunting. I can't wait until this snow disappears and the ground softens. Thaws always bring up new stuff.
HAVE GREAT NIGHT/DAY.
John from NY

Upvote 0

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
well, let me be the first to welcome you to Tnet John. We have a great group of people on this site. Post your finds here we love stories and lots of pics.

HH
MichiganRob

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
Welcome John, this is a great site and as Rob said we have a great group of people, I hope you enjoy the site as much as I have.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome John. I'm new here also and have found there to be a good group of people with vast knowledge.

pakeha63

Nov 13, 2008
Stockton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Lobo ST
Welcome to TNET John. I'm new as well, and I envy you on your find. I'm still trying to find a silver coin. Just have to figure this Minelab out like those guys that pull silver coins like I pull clad coins :)

OP
OP
John987

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
Thank you all for the kind welcome. I hope to have some great finds in the future to post with pictures. I thought I might of had taken a picture of this coin before I sold it but I wasn't able to find it. It might have been on my computer that was lost in a fire years ago. I may come up with some other finds as I go through my stuff. Not as great as the quarter but worth showing if I can find them. Thanks again for the welcome.
John from Upstate New York

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....John....that is why I advise to Never sell anything without doing a bit of research.....today it is a lot easier due to the internet and Ebay.....but some items are so rare that only a handful of people know anything about it......especially on an item that is hard to do research......Never accept the first offer....sadly some will take advantage of some's lack of knowledge......for example a $200.00 offer (for a rare Military Relic or Rare Coin) may seem like a lot.....but later one will get a Headache to find out that the find was really worth $2500.00!! HH Joe

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a 1909 Half dollar on a beach at the very start after only having the detector on for 10 seconds. I never understood why I never hit it before. I turned it on and off there several hundred times. It was too high on the beach for the water to erode the sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread