A great horse brass

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my nice finds was this horse brass which I found two years ago. It was found in plowed
ground, so it was amazing that it was in perfect condition.

We had with difficulty obtained permission to search a large number of fields (the farmer had many)
because some other detectorists (a group) from a long distance away were the normal searchers that
he let onto his land, but since they had not returned for two years, and we mentioned a neighboring
farmer where we always search and have become friends with, he finally gave permission. Really
great land, where the finds extend to every era of metal detecting.

Close to the edge of one field, nearby a road, I received a large non ferrous signal, too large for a coin.
So of course dug it. When I had it in my hand I saw the three initials AML but I didn't know what it was,
but that was soon solved with help from my other three detecting buddies. A horse brass, although others
give it other names. It was a great find even though it was not so old, I imagined the 19th century seeing
the letters.

Later we saw the farmer and were invited to come and drink some wine with him and his wife that evening,
so when we went we took our finds to show both of them. Immediately after entering their ancient house
I saw on a wall a photo frame with a long list of names, those were the names of her ancestors. A long list,
because many of her forefathers had lived there. The area had also been lived in since the bronze age, and
even next to their farm is a great 9th century church. I studied the names a bit and then we went further
inside and to a tea room.

Although it was a tea room we didn't drink tea. My buddies started to show what they had found and after
a while it was my turn and when I came to the horse brass and showed it to them the woman said immediately,
"Those are my grandfathers initials", and was very excited. Well she was sure surprised when I immediately
presented her with the horse brass. It was a good feeling to give back to someone something from her
family that really made the heart beat faster, and this act cemented our relationship with them even more.
I know she cherishes it.

HorseBrass-1.jpg

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AS you say it is a horse brass or horse furniture as some say. I believe its of the heavy shire horse & was a 'blinker', went on leather over the eye.

As you know I would also love to give back anything that was family connected. The older the better, ie if it were a medieval family relic, that would be amazing to give back.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
AS you say it is a horse brass or horse furniture as some say. I believe its of the heavy shire horse & was a 'blinker', went on leather over the eye.

As you know I would also love to give back anything that was family connected. The older the better, ie if it were a medieval family relic, that would be amazing to give back.
Hi Cru, yes it sure gives you a good feeling when you do that, and you make a friend! Its a nice family also, so that is just great.
He and our other farmer just keeps getting us new land to search so its just great all around!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you know, finds--and returns--like that are one of the most wonderful aspects of our hobby. It's great that you took the time to do a little digging and ID the find.

Thank you for sharing this with us, and for writing such a great post. I saw that on your avatar and wondered what it was.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just a awesome story ,and I no that feeling of being able to give back a lost item to someone over the summer I found a womans $12,500.00 ring set she lost on the beach I was vacationing at she was in tears when she lost it and in tears when I placed them in her hand and she was at a loss for words and couldnt thank me enough ..So way to go man !!

And that is a awesome find !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread