1885 Indian Head Ring ??

KILLER Tn

Jan 23, 2009
I was looking for some Indian artifacts one day, in a field where there was an area where the dirt was darker in color than the rest of the field, on a small rise. I had found a few relics on the ground, and was walking back and forth up the rows, when I saw something that looked like a coin. I picked it up and realized it was an old shield nickel. I couldn't see the date on it , and I figured there might be more coins out here. I went back with my IDX PRO and ended up finding several Indian head cents there. One of them looks like someone shot a hole through it , and took something and hit the edge of it , maybe trying to make a ring. If you look close at the pic , you can see part of the nose and feathers on the coin.

Attachments

• metal detecting pics 018.jpg
    metal detecting pics 018.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,076
Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, yes I would say that someone was trying to make ring.....Matt

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug a Ben half that someone was making a ring out of, you're Indian is way cooler. Good stuff!

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a small ring, for a child perhaps.

I once read a story where a man went to the hardware store to buy some washers. The washers at the store were seven cents each so he took his nickels he had and drilled holes through them and used them as the washers.

I once found a holed 184x large cent (shown on the right in this picture). I can make out part of the 184 date but not the fourth number.

Cent dmg obv.jpg

HH,

Scott (MI)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread