USA Button

The_Rake

Nov 24, 2008
Well this is my first posting. I'm a member of a detecting group in NJ and on a dig in PA I found this USA button. It is only the third one ever found. It is currently in a Chapel Museum and archeoligist are pretty excited about it. Been only detecting a couple of years and I dig "everything". Beginners.....don't quit. Good luck to all.

Attachments

• !!1ndexCATJYMJB.jpg
    !!1ndexCATJYMJB.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,343
  • !!2ndexCAFC5WW6.jpg
    !!2ndexCAFC5WW6.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,340
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian in MA said:
Oh my !!!!

Can you say BANNER?

That is an unbelievable find and it's in great shape too....

Certainly a museum quality piece.

Gongrats on a GREAT find.

Brian in MA

Geeze you're right, why is this button not on the banner! It may be the best found for all of 2009.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
That's one great save from the dirt!

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please forgive me if I am way off, but it looks like a reproduction to me. Perhaps I am totally wrong. Does anyone else think this?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddy Waters in NC said:
Please forgive me if I am way off, but it looks like a reproduction to me. Perhaps I am totally wrong. Does anyone else think this?

At first I did too, but it would have to be a very good one looking at the back. These were not made quite the same way as the usual early pewter military types we're used to so that is probably the difference. If it has been looked at by the sources as noted there really shouldn't be any doubt.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddy Waters in NC said:

no

OP
OP
The_Rake

The_Rake

Nov 24, 2008
The_Rake said:
Well this is my first posting. I'm a member of a detecting group in NJ and on a dig in PA I found this USA button. It is only the third one ever found. It is currently in a Chapel Museum and archeoligist are pretty excited about it. Been only detecting a couple of years and I dig "everything". Beginners.....don't quit. Good luck to all.

All, Thank you all for the kind comments. I would like to add that I have investigated further and it should be noted that the "cole1" button find in Conn. is one of three USA (1777) buttons found. There are not 4 found. My button and 1 other were found at Valley Forge. (Mine was NOT found on Valley Forge National Park property) I appreciate everyones feedback and comments. Current value of my button has been estimated at $25,000. Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your point of view) I belong to Battlefield Restoration Archaeological Volunteer Organization (BRAVO) based at the Monmouth Battlefield, NJ. Our organization does not keep or sell any finds. They are presented to museums, or historical groups so everyone can enjoy viewing them.
Again sorry about the long message.......and thank you all for your comments.
Bill

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The_Rake said:
The_Rake said:

All, Thank you all for the kind comments. I would like to add that I have investigated further and it should be noted that the "cole1" button find in Conn. is one of three USA (1777) buttons found. There are not 4 found. My button and 1 other were found at Valley Forge. (Mine was NOT found on Valley Forge National Park property) I appreciate everyones feedback and comments. Current value of my button has been estimated at $25,000. Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your point of view) I belong to Battlefield Restoration Archaeological Volunteer Organization (BRAVO) based at the Monmouth Battlefield, NJ. Our organization does not keep or sell any finds. They are presented to museums, or historical groups so everyone can enjoy viewing them.
Again sorry about the long message.......and thank you all for your comments.
Bill

OUCH!

Ramitt

Jul 24, 2007
The_Rake said:
[ Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your point of view) I belong to Battlefield Restoration Archaeological Volunteer Organization (BRAVO) based at the Monmouth Battlefield, NJ. Our organization does not keep or sell any finds. They are presented to museums, or historical groups so everyone can enjoy viewing them.

Good on you. It is a noble thing you do.

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Awesome find! Thankfully, that one was saved and can be enjoyed by others interested in the history of this great land. Well done. :thumbsup:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that is a great button find. Does it make you wanting to go back to the area that you found it in and do more detecting. I know I would be wanting to go back. Good luck on your future hunts...Matt

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Congrats on your find. That is second to none in my button wishes 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions