USA Button

The_Rake

Nov 24, 2008
Well this is my first posting. I'm a member of a detecting group in NJ and on a dig in PA I found this USA button. It is only the third one ever found. It is currently in a Chapel Museum and archeoligist are pretty excited about it. Been only detecting a couple of years and I dig "everything". Beginners.....don't quit. Good luck to all.

Attachments

• !!1ndexCATJYMJB.jpg
    !!1ndexCATJYMJB.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,343
  • !!2ndexCAFC5WW6.jpg
    !!2ndexCAFC5WW6.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,340
Upvote 0

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a awesome find ! I would be back at that spot from dusk till dawn with all sorts of machines GPR with some 3 D imaging ...

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
A Dream find...... Absolutely..BANNER!....A True piece of History

Congratulations!!!!..... Rarest piece in a long time found..

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three not four, yes, I based four on the assumption that Albert's book and Don Troiani's book showed two separate buttons, thus 2 there, Cole's and yours. However I see now that Troiani used the exact photograph that was in Albert's 1976 book on button and yes, if no more were reported that is correct.

With that said, the fact that two came from Valley Forge area and one from New England means there are more out there and you can ask Iron Patch about how value drops as detectorists find more and more of the rare buttons, and if they are out there, most likely more will be found.

Back in 1995 I found a USTE button , Albert's TE-1 and at the time of publishing the Albert's book in 1976, NO known examples were known to exist, but based on an 1820 act that was authorized by Congress, the making of the button, there was a possibility they did exist and I did find one.

Since this was before most internet activities and forums, I had to rely on letter writing and phone calls to determine authenticity and value. I did eventually sell it to Mr Tice and did not regret doing so, however, I always had that fear that someone would find a coat full of them in an attic and the value of mine would have dropped drastically. It did not happen, I believe to this day that button is still the only one ever found.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,104200.0.html

As far as banner, I would have recommend banner, but, I believe banner is for recent finds and not ones from months ago, but that is the moderators and Marc's decision. Rake seems to indicate no time found but for the events that happened it does not appear to have been within the past month. I am sure a lot of us could post older finds that would truly be deserving of banner, but not a "recent find" and Marc has spelled out what is supposed to go in "Today's Finds".

Don

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it should be on the banner too. Even though it is not a recent discovery. To us T-Netters, seeing it for the first time, it is a recent discovery! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: My vote is in.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Three not four, yes, I based four on the assumption that Albert's book and Don Troiani's book showed two separate buttons, thus 2 there, Cole's and yours. However I see now that Troiani used the exact photograph that was in Albert's 1976 book on button and yes, if no more were reported that is correct.

With that said, the fact that two came from Valley Forge area and one from New England means there are more out there and you can ask Iron Patch about how value drops as detectorists find more and more of the rare buttons, and if they are out there, most likely more will be found.

Back in 1995 I found a USTE button , Albert's TE-1 and at the time of publishing the Albert's book in 1976, NO known examples were known to exist, but based on an 1820 act that was authorized by Congress, the making of the button, there was a possibility they did exist and I did find one.

Since this was before most internet activities and forums, I had to rely on letter writing and phone calls to determine authenticity and value. I did eventually sell it to Mr Tice and did not regret doing so, however, I always had that fear that someone would find a coat full of them in an attic and the value of mine would have dropped drastically. It did not happen, I believe to this day that button is still the only one ever found.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,104200.0.html

As far as banner, I would have recommend banner, but, I believe banner is for recent finds and not ones from months ago, but that is the moderators and Marc's decision. Rake seems to indicate no time found but for the events that happened it does not appear to have been within the past month. I am sure a lot of us could post older finds that would truly be deserving of banner, but not a "recent find" and Marc has spelled out what is supposed to go in "Today's Finds".

Don

Yep, it just takes one digger having a real good day and there goes the value. A friend of mine once dug near a dozen "rare" buttons in an afternoon. Just that one day changed things for good.

OP
OP
The_Rake

The_Rake

Nov 24, 2008
All,
Continued thanks for all your comments. I apologize for posting incorrectly and so late with my button discovery (3 Mar 07). I only found this web site a few months ago. Because of the rarity of the USA Button I just wanted to share the discovery with everyone. I will try and adhere to the rules of the web site. Thanks again. If anyone needs more info please do not hesitate to contact me.
Bill (The_Rake)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The_Rake said:
All,
Continued thanks for all your comments. I apologize for posting incorrectly and so late with my button discovery (3 Mar 07). I only found this web site a few months ago. Because of the rarity of the USA Button I just wanted to share the discovery with everyone. I will try and adhere to the rules of the web site. Thanks again. If anyone needs more info please do not hesitate to contact me.
Bill (The_Rake)

It would have been better placed in the 'Best Finds' section although I haven't seen old finds not making the banner!

OP
OP
The_Rake

The_Rake

Nov 24, 2008
CRUSADER said:
The_Rake said:
All,
Bill (The_Rake)

It would have been better placed in the 'Best Finds' section although I haven't seen old finds not making the banner!
Thank you Crusader......but I only joined about a month ago....the banner requires finds by "members" at the time of discovery.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The_Rake said:
CRUSADER said:
The_Rake said:
All,
Bill (The_Rake)

Thank you Crusader......but I only joined about a month ago....the banner requires finds by "members" at the time of discovery.

As I said, this is more a rule of thumb. Than fact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread