Duit Gelria 1703 B - 24-11-2007.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,843
Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool coin. I'm not familiar with them. What would be the current value of such a coin?

OP
OP
Eggie

Eggie

Feb 3, 2009
DigginThePast said:
Very cool coin. I'm not familiar with them. What would be the current value of such a coin?

Not much, i think 5-12,50 Euro.
There are many of these coins, some people found hunderds in a year but 80-90% is to bad to keep in your collection.

S

seger98

That also is a nice find! Congratulations on all your neat finds!

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Didn't quite understand what Eggie meant by
There are many of these coins, some people found hunderds in a year but 80-90% is to bad to keep in your collection.
...but...
These are also known as Dutch Duits (pronounced Do-wee). Very cool coins. I have some similar in my collection (bought, not dug...wish I would have found them myself, as you did!) A very proud find!! Looking forward to more postst of your finds!!!

Mojo

OP
OP
Eggie

Eggie

Feb 3, 2009
Mr_Mojo_Risin said:
Didn't quite understand what Eggie meant by
...but...
These are also known as Dutch Duits (pronounced Do-wee). Very cool coins. I have some similar in my collection (bought, not dug...wish I would have found them myself, as you did!) A very proud find!! Looking forward to more postst of your finds!!!

Mojo

Hi, these type of coins are found a lot here fut the most of them are too bad en you can't read the words because the are flat.
The ground is terrible heartburn by fertilisation and acid rain, the currencies oxidise as a result very fast.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eggie said:
Here my best duit (copper in English?) from 1703. It is a 1/8 part of a 5 cent.
From the state Gelria when Holland was a republic.
This one is in very good state, normaly they are to bad to read.
Nice Duit Eggie, yes it is hard to find one anymore in Holland in a condition where you can read the date!
Much different than in 85 when I first started detecting. Then they came out of the ground in great condition,
some of them had the condition of a newly minted coin! The 'acid' rain and more and more chemicals and
fertilizers used on the fields have just ruined them. That is because of the wetness of the soil combined
with the chemicals, if the soil was mostly dry they would have lasted longer.

About the Duit, it is not a copper in English. A Duit was lowest value coin in Holland (in copper), and in the UK it
was the equivalent of a farthing.

8 Duiten were worth a 'Stuiver' 20 Duiten or 8 stuivers were worth a silver Gulden.
In the 19th century some UK colonies also had the Stiver, which was a name derived from the Dutch Stuiver.

There was also later a 4 Duit coin (also called a Plak because it was quite large) and a half 'Stuiver' which was
worth 4 Duiten.

The VOC (the United East Indian Company, the first multinational corporation in the world located in Holland)
was so powerful back in the 17th century that they manufactured their own Duit coins. The Duiten were more valuable,
4 in a Stuiver. Besides minting coins they could wage war, make treaties, and establish colonies without the Dutch
Governments approval (just like it seems the modern multinationals!).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread