Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks like an ashtray. You would put your cigs between the bumps on the edge. Maybe a souvenir?

Where'd you find it?

OP
OP
C

Combat Diver

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2005
Sebastian, FL
No doubt an ashtray. I did some research, finding a study by Texas A&M folks. Pretty extensive. Nothing on the "crowned rose" that appears in the center. It does appear to be old, but I find it too coincidental having that particular year and town engraved into it and no other touch marks.

OP
OP
C

Combat Diver

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2005
Sebastian, FL
More like Gigars than cigerettes. I did find in the studies that a pewter metalworker/blacksmith family left Port Royal for South Carolina, I found it in NC. This thing might have been travelling around awile. Now it's in Florida!

EyeShine

Sep 3, 2005
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing it with us.
And yeah, I figured it was probably more for cigars than cigarettes. Although the bumps are a good size for either.

However, I found this information on a chronological history of cigarettes starting thousands of years ago and going to today:

In 1614, in Spain, Seville is decreed the center of cigar making for spanish grown, New World tobacco. The poor, using left over tobacco from cigars, make the first cigarettes to be smoked in europe.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW :o I have read alot about Port Royal and of course dreamed of diving it. What kind of permit would you have to have, to go on that site? The history there is amazing. Did you bring that up yourself? Great piece of history!Congrats.

OP
OP
C

Combat Diver

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2005
Sebastian, FL
I did not bring this item up, in fact from its condition, I don't think its ever been in the water. Although I too have read alot on Port Royal, I've never been there. I'm sure like most places, its not watched 24hrs, but if your caught you are in trouble. Texas A&M has done extensive research on the site and students have written some great papers on various subjects pertaining to Port Royal. Here's a good site: http://nautarch.tamu.edu/academic/sina.htm, and for the guy who runs the show: http://nautarch.tamu.edu/academic/FACULTY/hamilton.htm

B

bradandmilan

Possibly it was a commemorative, given the date matching the date of the earthquake? If so, that might help explain the fine condition.

Brad

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all... i'm new to this forum so I thought i'd jump on in and give it a try. The Port Royal "dish" you have I believe is a commemorative souvenir (that very well could be an ashtray). The date on it (1692) was when the earthquake sank the pirate city into the sea and the crowned rose I believe symbolizes the English Rule over the island... the rose being the "English Rose". I have a collection of artifacts from Port Royal from the famed TH'er Bob Marx. I had the pleasure of having lunch with him recently... great guy and funny as heck! Anyway, hope this helps.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw Jim's response... I think he's right on the money!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I believe tobacco is the only abused drug to originate in North America, and spread throughout the entire world. :(

TammyD1967

Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Port Royal 1692 Ashtray stamp on back t J

I also have one of the ashtrays in the photo.

TammyD1967

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions