Lourdes enamel cross hoard

monacoauctions

Feb 27, 2009
Monte- Carlo
New to this site, only came across it today. Pictures of a hoard i found in the Pyraneese Mountains near the holy catholic shrine of Lourdes where devout catholics go to take in the water which is supposed to have healing powers. This hoard of over 6000 enamel crosses were under the floorboards of a derelict house that had just been sold. Many of them were still in the original brown paper packaging from the maker.They date from the late victorian era when the shrine was first built and were probably made to sell to visitors, no idea how they came to be under the floor of a house in the hills very near the village. All are gold plated and enamel and are in mint condition, as good as the day they were made. They are in 2 sizes, i assume an adult and a child size ? Today there are modern souvenirs for sale to visitors to Lourdes, these must have been amongst the first to be produced. I still have all of them , still trying to work out the best way to market them. This is a great site, wish i had seen it before !

Attachments

• lc1.jpg
    lc1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,352
  • lc2.jpg
    lc2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,348
  • lc3.jpg
    lc3.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,342
  • lc4.jpg
    lc4.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,335
  • DC1 and DC2 781.jpg
    DC1 and DC2 781.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,330
  • DC1 and DC2 776.jpg
    DC1 and DC2 776.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,335
Upvote 0

Lucky Jack

Jul 31, 2007
interesting find but it looks like those packages have plastic tape on them. I don't believe they had tape like that in Victorian times. Maybe 1950's-60's

OP
OP
monacoauctions

monacoauctions

Feb 27, 2009
Monte- Carlo
i havn't worked out what to do with this lot yet, they have been sitting here while i work out the best way to market them. They are too good to waste away so i'm waiting until a use for them comes up. The brown paper packaging isnt sealed with selotape, its a paste that has been brushed on and a strip of material then put over the joints. They are from the victorian era. Anybody with an idea of how best to market them please feel free to get in touch. I'm not keen on ebay these days, since they started to force people to use Paypal i've stopped selling there . Too many problems with that firm, see www.paypalwarning.com or www.paypalsucks.com for typical examples ! Thanks for all the e mails thus far .

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's an interesting find, very cool, and what a bundle.

I do have some questions though, because if I had found them I would never relate them to being in the Victorian age. Did you take them to someone to verify the age? I know they had enamel jewelry back then but it had a different type look to it from what I have seen. Also what kind of paper are they wrapped in. Seems it holds up really really well for being so old. Not doubting you, just really curious because like I said had I found them it would never cross my mind that it was that old, sure maybe 1960's or 70's but that would be the farest I would think to date it. Do they have any type makers mark on them? If these are that old I really need to go back and look at some of the stuff that I have found because if this dates back 1837-1901, then I might have some items that are older then what I originally thought and I need to take another look at them.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds for sure, I wonder what you thought when you first saw the packages.
But I have to agree with some others that they don't look so old....

OP
OP
monacoauctions

monacoauctions

Feb 27, 2009
Monte- Carlo
it isnt clear tape, the packages have been sealed up with a strip of paper that has been stuck on with glue applied with a brush. the glue has dried and reflects like tape but it ISNT SELOTAPE ! these have been looked at by quite a number of people and they are well over 100 years old. the quality and gilding is really top quality. paper will remain almost as new if it is kept in the right conditions , these packages have been under a dry floor with no water/damp or moisture .

P

pippinwhitepaws

oh...that is different...i still want some...
too bad...i really liked the idea of the priests hiding the loot from the nazi... ;D

edflower

Nov 18, 2008
Colombia
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Nice crosses-- Looks like you have found yourself a "goldmine" for purposes of marketing... I have a question. You mentioned "...over 6000 enamel crosses... Many of them were still in the original brown paper packaging..." yet the paper packaging in your photos appears undisturbed-- How do you know there are at least six thousand of the crosses? Are you weighing these paper packages without opening them?

Thanks,

EF

OP
OP
monacoauctions

monacoauctions

Feb 27, 2009
Monte- Carlo
hello- when they were found @ 50% them were still in the paper, in the photos you can see some of the still sealed up ones. The other packages had been opened and then wrapped up without being sealed again. Each package is the same, inside the brown paper is a layer of waxed paper with a layer of tissue underneath. The crosses are 12 side by side then rolled over and another layer on top. I cant remember exactly but i think there were 144 in each package. All the opened ones were collected up and those packages still sealed have been left as found. There are @ 4500 loose ones and 1700 still wrapped up.

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
that is awesome!! Religious metals are a terrific find,i just love 'em :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds, now matter how old they are, Congrats!!

HH<Ringfinder

lucky d

Oct 2, 2008
fla la land
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur
very cool find......i would like a couple of those ....if and when you sell ? please keep me posted.....thankshh

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Great find! I would think some of the shops around there would buy them from you in lots to resell to the tourists. If you could determine who produced them originally it would help. Are there any markings on them or the packaging that would give you a clue as to who manufactured them? Good luck and congrats on finding a great cache.

HH Charlie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions