Unbelievable luck as a kid

StevefromMissouri

Jun 26, 2008
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I was in Junior High about 1981, I was working as a waiter for my grandmother's restaurant in Missouri. I went to the register to make change for a customer's bill and I laid their bills and change on the counter and noticed that the pennies I gave them were wheats, so I reached into my apron to exchange them out, but all I had was quarters. I then got into the register to exchange them out and the entire penny cup was all wheaties! Not wanting to make the customer wait any longer I quickly reached under the counter to the change bag where all the extra rolls were and broke another roll to exchange---yep, wheaties. I did this nine times!!! I don't have them any more, but I do remember one of them being the most rare--a 1920 s--does that sound right? I was stupid and made paper weights in shop class, and now don't know where they are, but man it was an exciting 5 or 10 minutes for sure. If I had the knowledge I have now, I would have went through the other types of coins to see about them, AND I would have went to the bank and asked for tons of pennies the next day!!!

Upvote 0

tmdavis3

Feb 24, 2009
How cool to find so many at once! Too bad you don't still have them.

I worked as a cashier for a while, and you can find some cool coins checking the change each day. Lots of old pennies, and a few foreign coins. I always checked for rare coins and stuff. You just never know, especially in a recession, what is gonna turn up next....

Muddy Feet

Feb 13, 2009
MN
I just got a ten dollar silver certificate as change from a store a week or so ago. The cashier pulled it out of the drawer, looked at it, said huh, that's weird and then handed me the change. Otherwise I may not have even noticed it. I quickly took my change and exited with a smile.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I used to collect nickels. I especially liked the ones with mint marks above Monticello.
I must have had 200 or more by the time I turned 18. No telling what sorts of rarities I had although I do remember the mirror finished "new" ones were my best prizes.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
My ex-wife used to work at a video rental store...I have 4 Ben Franklins and several silver certificates from that....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions