My best Barber quarter and I messed it up

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Here is the Barber quarter that I found near my "Best SLQ", on the sandy hilltop. I was amazed at the condition of the coin and then I made a huge mistake. The coin had a dusty coating on it, no sand, just a fine dust. I made the mistake of running my thumb across the front and back. I didn't rub the coin, just a light brush of the thumb. But that is all it took, and you can see all the superfine scratches on the surface. That dust was like millions of little cutters.

Aside from that, the coin is gorgeous and still has some mint luster.

For the mistake I made on this coin, I would like to take this opportunity to tell all detectorists and coin collectors out there that I am truly sorry for what I did.
I have made a promise to myself not to let it happen again. And I also plead with you all to learn from my error.

Attachments

• barber.JPG
    barber.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,001
  • barber5.JPG
    barber5.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 999
Upvote 0

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first Barber Quarter, (or for that matter, any Barber) was a 1916-D in the same condition as yours. Except for the deep 1/4" gouge I put on her neck. It happens, usually to the rarer, more valuable coins you may dig. Ah, what a learning experience!

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
Sorry that you messed it up but that is still one beautiful coin.
Congratulations on your find and that spot you found!!
HH

John

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
It's still a beautiful coin. If it were me I probably would have done something and left gouges where your scratches are. lol

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
Fantastic find! Don't feel bad....I've seen nice coins totally gouged by diggin shovels before! It could have been much worse! Congrats on an outstanding coin find! :thumbsup:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too found a dream Barber Quarter (1911-S) with most of its original mint luster. I was shocked that a coin could look so new after being buried nearly a hundred years. I took the quarter to a local dealer to help determine whether it was worth slabbing. He laughed and said that the coin had obviously been cleaned, and went on to show me how coins of that age were "supposed" to look when they are uncirculated--with a nice patina. I explained that I had only rinsed the coin with soapy water, and that it had not changed the coloration of the coin. He clearly thought I was lying to him. I did not choose to slab the coin, and I'll never set foot in that shop again!

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
It's amazing how dealers treat us. I have also been in the position you were in with some of my coins. I don't take much stock in coin dealers. Our coins are never as good as theirs, and when they offer you something for them, it is a true insult.
Unless we know a dealer personally, We should be very careful in our dealings with them.

Thanks for your comments and congrats on your great coin!

HH

pakeha63

Nov 13, 2008
Stockton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Lobo ST
Nice coin :thumbsup:Yes, I got a valuable lesson as well. My first silver coin was a Franklin, and gouged it with the digger. Dig bigger plugs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread