Heavy Metal

whispers

Jan 1, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
dfx
lLast fall I was doing a field in Corinth, Vermont and came across some clad coins and pottery shards, Then as I was searching an edge of another field and I whacked a really good VDI 20 @ 6" so I dug down and came across a rock at about 5" tossin it aside ,I went back over the hole again. To my surprise there was no sound beep whatever. Then I returned to my little pile of dirt and nothin was there either.So I picked up the rock and waved it in front of my coil and it went off.The rock seemed a bit heavy for it's size and I fantasized for a m oment that it could be a meteorite but it ended up on my mantle for the past 7 or so monts collectind dust.My old neighbors house sold to a cou[ple from Mass. in the meantime and when I found out the new owners or at least the husband was a vice-pres at the Boston Musem of science I saw a chance to find out once and for all as to my rocks authenticiy.So I gave it to Paul and he took it away for a couple weeks till his next visit as his home up here isonly his Vaca.Getaway and told me that 3 of his staff positively ID'd it as an actual meteroirite.Whilst the Boston museum of science will not endorse anything because of (ethics)?I will have to have it confirmed/and or authenticated by a non scientific party.Still I am pleased to have there unoffcial confirmation .If any T neters out there know where I should go next as to affixing an acual value.I would like to hear but for now i FEAL LIKE A VERY FORTUNATE GUY even if it's worthless.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 698
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Excellent job! From what I understand finding a meteorite in Vermont is a very rare event! The first meteeorite wasnt even found there until the late 80's! Congratulations and I hope it is worth some serious moola!!!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Actually the more I think abnout this ,the more I feel it should be in the Banner section....It is a rare find and I was wondering how much it did weigh?

This is a note I found on the first one in Vermont....
.....1987 - A softball sized meteorite fell in Barton. It was the first meteorite found in Vermont. After it thawed, it turned into a pile of sand, pulverized rock and iron fragments

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
That is an awesome piece there Whispers! Congrats! I think you will be pleased to find out a value on that one! 8)

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice chunk of space junk!

HH
-GC

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
before a value could be assessed, it would have to classified, which means cutting it to see the structure inside.
check with your state university

OP
OP
W

whispers

Jan 1, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
dfx
Thanks All.I weighed it at work today and it dialed in at 170.5 grams.Next off to classify.Hope they don't destroy it in process.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice find, even if its not a meteorite. But it sure looks like an iron meteorite. Have you looked on the net, there a few good sites that describe meteorites and how to determine if it is one....
Of course officials should know also...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread