Construction= old coin finds

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
New water main lines and hydrants were being installed in our subdivision and there was opportunity knocking, so I answered.
Our subdivision is next to a bayou on one side and an old creek ditch on another side. It was part of a ranch before the subdivision was built....... lots of big pine trees and oak trees still standing.

Holes about 8 feet deep X 4 feet wide and 12 feet long were dug in almost every yard on one side of the street. Some houses had more than 1 hole dug in the front yard. They put new lines in and covered the holes back up after finishing the job. There were dirt piles all down the street when the workmen were digging up the yards. And afterward they covered the hole areas back up with just dirt.

Since the work was done in front yards of houses, I asked the owners if I could search the dirt piles and then the covered up holes. Only a few didn't want me to search, even after I told them I would only dig in the dirt piles or covered up dirt holes.

I went down the street asking and getting permission to search lots of spots. :thumbsup:
Within a few weeks time and a dozen or so outings, and digging in lots of spots.... I dug up $15.00 in clad coins and some very nice keeper coins.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Yes there are some IH's, wheats, silver coins, and also a 1868 Shield nickel. This nickel is the oldest coin I have ever found while detecting!!!!! ;D ;D ;D I dug it out of one of the dirt piles the workers had, next to a big oak tree, next to the street.

Hit those construction spots, you never know what you will find.

Upvote 0

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds, those places are where I search frequently, and they turn up good finds almost every time, and in better condition than fields which are plowed and have chemicals added every year....

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I use White's detectors and I sent this story and pictures to the Whites website. They are going to use the story on their detecting "Stories" section of their website, and are sending me a coupon for $100.00 worth of free accessories. :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO !!!!!

It's almost like Christmas !!! :icon_santa:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where are the old coins ??? ::) :wink: :D

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
CRUSADER said:
where are the old coins ??? ::) :wink: :D

In the USA, we believe that coins made before 1965, are old. :tongue3: :tongue3:

You British believe, if a coin was made before 1600 it is old. ;D

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have found some great coins there for sure. I love all of that silver you have found

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread