Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe its from a ye olde pirate :dontknow:

T

trish76642

Mel? Is the stem still attached to it? That is an awesome find..i'd love to know the history/value of it. If the stems not broken on it, i'd bet it would be worth some serious money.

Very nice...can you see any writing on it or a stamp anywhere?

OP
OP
M

Mel245

Greenie
Jun 6, 2009
~trish~ said:
Mel? Is the stem still attached to it? That is an awesome find..i'd love to know the history/value of it. If the stems not broken on it, i'd bet it would be worth some serious money.

Very nice...can you see any writing on it or a stamp anywhere?
The stem is very much attached. I would love to find out the history or value also. And if it's seriouse money then thats evan better! :hello2: All I know is that it was found under a cannon in the BVI in about 130 ft of water on a sandy bottom. Near the wreck of the "Rome".

T

trish76642

wow Mel...i'll see if i can help ya ok....
any markings on the underside of the stem?

OP
OP
M

Mel245

Greenie
Jun 6, 2009
~trish~ said:
no none that I can see, It is very worn on the bottom.

T

trish76642

Mel245 said:
~trish~ said:

Yes i can imagine it is very worn, if we only had a marking...that would help out alot...can you take a piece of play dough and push it into the bottom of the stem and see if it will pull out a marking? There has to be one on there somewhere i would think. Or use a magnifying glass to see if you can see anything.

OP
OP
M

Mel245

Greenie
Jun 6, 2009
~trish~ said:
Mel245 said:
~trish~ said:

Yes i can imagine it is very worn, if we only had a marking...that would help out alot...can you take a piece of play dough and push it into the bottom of the stem and see if it will pull out a marking? There has to be one on there somewhere i would think. Or use a magnifying glass to see if you can see anything.
So I did the playdough thing and all I can get out of it looks to be like and "S" in old writing. It kinda looks like a serpintine S but I really can't tell. I know I shouldn't clean it but it is driving me crazy, mabey if I just got the stuff off the bottom I could tell where it came from. But I am really scared to touch it. I brought it to a treasure store where I live and he is also doing some research on it. He was very interested in the piece, but I'd like some knowledge on the value before I start selling it to a treasure guy.

T

trish76642

Mel245 said:
~trish~ said:
Mel245 said:
~trish~ said:

So I did the playdough thing and all I can get out of it looks to be like and "S" in old writing. It kinda looks like a serpintine S but I really can't tell. I know I shouldn't clean it but it is driving me crazy, mabey if I just got the stuff off the bottom I could tell where it came from. But I am really scared to touch it. I brought it to a treasure store where I live and he is also doing some research on it. He was very interested in the piece, but I'd like some knowledge on the value before I start selling it to a treasure guy.

oh yeah, i know what you mean, i would be scared to clean it too! Wonder if you sat it down in peroxide to soak, dont do it until you know for sure if it will hurt it or not...you really dont need to scrub it, how bout maybe soaking it in warm soapy water, but dont scrub it. Then rinse it off...and i wouldnt let it go anywhere either until i found out for sure what its worth and where it came from.

OP
OP
M

Mel245

Greenie
Jun 6, 2009
~trish~ said:
Mel245 said:
~trish~ said:
Mel245 said:
~trish~ said:

oh yeah, i know what you mean, i would be scared to clean it too! Wonder if you sat it down in peroxide to soak, dont do it until you know for sure if it will hurt it or not...you really dont need to scrub it, how bout maybe soaking it in warm soapy water, but dont scrub it. Then rinse it off...and i wouldnt let it go anywhere either until i found out for sure what its worth and where it came from.
Yeah that might not hurt it. But nice talking to you

T

trish76642

yeah...good luck in the cleaning, and let me know what you come up with, i'll be glad to help you anyway i can....

Nice talking to you too Mel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread