Confederate Trio- Martingale, Staff Officer Button, & "I" Button(Spring 2005)

cwtrader1863

Oct 18, 2005
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Shadow X5 and Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Confederate Trio- Martingale, Staff Officer Button, & "I" Button(Spring 2005)

Confederate Trio

I had an incredible Spring of digging relics. Below is a pic of a (CS)Martingale, and CS Staff Officer Button found in the same hole about a foot apart. The Martingale appears to be CS because of the style- it has soldered on brass hooks just like many CS buckles- thin brass crude made hooks. The CS "I" Infantry Button was found about 20 yards away from the other 2 relics and on the same flat. This Plantation site was the scene of a huge skirmish. The Rebels were hunkered down by a Bldg close to the Plantation House. When the Bldg was charged by Yanks, an Arkansas Colonel was killed by the Bldg and died there. That's where I found the CS Staff Officer button and the Martingale in the same hole. The CS Staff Officer Button is very Rare(CS 36 in Alberts) and usually worn by a Major or higher. I believe these 2 relics belonged to the CS Arkansas Colonel. Lamar Cannon found a human chewed on bullet by my relics. Of course we will never know for sure but I am 99% convinced they belonged to him. The Confederate Trio in the pic below were found near Raymond, MS. and Spring of 2005.

Dan Patterson

Attachments

• WEpic.JPG
    WEpic.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 979
  • MinelabRocks.jpg
    MinelabRocks.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 475
Upvote 0

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Confedrate Trio- Spring 2005

Those are some beautiful relics - even more so since you kno who they might have belonged to. Great research! I met a guy a while back that has been relic hunting for many years. He has a silver button which he believes has a 33% chance of belonging to Andrew Jackson. His research shows that only three general officers were at the site where he found it, Jackson being one of them. The button is from an officer's uniform of that rank. Pretty cool.

Kent

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, GPX4500, AT Pro, F75 LTD, DFX, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

VERY NICE!!! I'm glad there are still CW relics posted on this site. Keep it up.

Rocky

OP
OP
cwtrader1863

cwtrader1863

Oct 18, 2005
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Miss Lettice-
The Martingale was a Heart Shaped Btreastplate(Ornament) that goes on the Chest of a Horse and is held there with leather straps. Seen on many Cavalry horses during the Civil War.

lamarc

Dec 8, 2005
Central Ms.
Detector(s) used
TEK T2 se
Re: Confederate Trio- Martingale, Staff Officer Button, & "I" Button(Spring 2005)

Great find Dan!!!! my luck is coming back soon. ;D ;D ;D ;) :-*

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Re: Confederate Trio- Martingale, Staff Officer Button, & "I" Button(Spring 2005)

Nice finds!! everything confederate is kinda rare :) Is the block I cast?

OP
OP
cwtrader1863

cwtrader1863

Oct 18, 2005
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Confederate Trio- Martingale, Staff Officer Button, & "I" Button(Spring 2005

It's a Tin back Confederate "I" Button

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,

looks in very good shape,

OP
OP
cwtrader1863

cwtrader1863

Oct 18, 2005
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Confederate Trio- Martingale, Staff Officer Button, & "I" Button(Spring 2005

Yea, all are in good shape, not great but nice condition.

OP
OP
cwtrader1863

cwtrader1863

Oct 18, 2005
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks for looking everyone, I appreciate all the emails. This was a once in a lifetime find.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

A Great Find For Any CW Relic Hunter. Best of Luck. trk5capt...

OP
OP
cwtrader1863

cwtrader1863

Oct 18, 2005
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks capt, best of luck to you in 2006

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread